Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Is it possible to react to bites and then not react???

(6 posts)
  1. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jan 13 2013 0:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

My son is highly allergic to the bites. He reacts very quickly and the welts are large and last forever. I kept him out of his room for months.(home of the infestation) I finally let him back in. I have caught about 8 first instars on carpet tape. One had clearly fed the others had not. He may have been the one bitten or it could have been me, cat, or dog. He has not been bit since September . His entire bed has carpet tape around the base of the mattress , in fact there's carpet tape all over the place lol. I found a small harborage in his room in November i killed all that i could see eggs, babies and i found the mommy in a drawer not to far away. Could these be the few that got away in November? Could they be biting him and he doesn't react anymore??? I cant figure out where they are coming from . Theres just the bed, an empty dresser and a metal book shelf . No clothes, empty closet. i vacuum and steam all the time . I found the first few right away when he went back in (dec 24th) today i found 2 more stuck to the tape .....should i pull him out and leave his room empty for another few months?

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jan 16 2013 21:55:51
    #

Login to Send PM

bumping for expert

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 17 2013 7:36:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Question already covered in the green sticky at the top of the page:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

Answer yes which is why we don't focus on bites and we focus on the physical signs such as:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 17 2013 11:47:36
    #

Login to Send PM

My son is highly allergic to the bites. He reacts very quickly and the welts are large and last forever.

Unfortunately, this is one of biggest misconceptions, being allergic to all bites.
    I've been feeding bed bugs for over 15 years and my reaction never presented the same way as it does for mosquito bites. Mosquito bites were itchy from the start. I still get swelling reaction from bed bug bites, but this disappears within an hour. Basically I don't have the itching feeling at the bed bug bite site. There are different proteins involved in salivary components of the 2 different insects and that must be why reactions differ. Maybe other reasons, too.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 17 2013 15:56:22
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 17 minutes ago  » 

My son is highly allergic to the bites. He reacts very quickly and the welts are large and last forever.

Unfortunately, this is one of biggest misconceptions, being allergic to all bites.
    I've been feeding bed bugs for over 15 years and my reaction never presented the same way as it does for mosquito bites. Mosquito bites were itchy from the start. I still get swelling reaction from bed bug bites, but this disappears within an hour. Basically I don't have the itching feeling at the bed bug bite site. There are different proteins involved in salivary components of the 2 different insects and that must be why reactions differ. Maybe other reasons, too.

My son is highly allergic to bed bug bites. He has minor reaction to mosquitos. With our initial infestation it was his bed and he suffered. Felt so bad for him. Im worries because of the first instars i keep finding on the tape. I check his room daily and he doesnt present with any bites but i found one that had fed. Afew days ago i found a shed . Im wondering if I should seal his room again and move him back into my spare room. Its my understanding they will die without eating within a few months. I dont want to start a whole new infestation. I have never had a PCO come into spray becasue I really cant afford it and my son had a major reaction to just the stuff i sprayed . Since then I have just steamed and vacuumed .

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 17 2013 17:47:45
    #

Login to Send PM

My son is highly allergic to bed bug bites. He has minor reaction to mosquitos. With our initial infestation it was his bed and he suffered.

Sorry, misread your first post and thought you meant general bites.

I check his room daily and he doesnt present with any bites but i found one that had fed. Afew days ago i found a shed .

It's interesting you say that he reacts badly to bites, but if you found a fed one on his bed, it would suggest that he's been the meal again.
    It's possible that he no longer reacts badly. That can happen.

Its my understanding they will die without eating within a few months. I dont want to start a whole new infestation.

That's not a good idea because bed bugs will be able to search and find a new host if the original is no longer there. Carbon dioxide and body heat (at close range) are attractants. The starvation period is also temperature dependent. A few months can go on for 6 or more months, with adults being better able to withstand starvation than the youngest nymphs. You should use some forms of monitoring devices and inspection because you could find out that the infestation is more general and not restricted to his room.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs