Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Is it possible to protect a single room?

(5 posts)
  1. MiseryLovesMe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 22 2017 21:55:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I've posted before, but I live in a house with two floors and a basement. My family - consisting of me and my grandmothers - live on the bottom floor. There are three bedrooms down here, and I have had run-ins with bed bugs in each. I also previously lived upstairs on the 2nd floor, where the bites first began, so I can confidently say that - after dealing with this off and on for a year and a half - we probably have a pretty sizeable infestation.

My grandmothers are 60 and 81, and they have made it very clear that they don't see it as an issue, considering they don't see the bugs and likely don't react to bites. To them, the bed bugs don't exist. And considering I'm a college student and my family overall is pretty much struggling in general, there is literally no chance for an exterminator being hired. 0%.

I react to the bites pretty much instantly and I've been losing sleep because the bites have gotten frequent. I plan on leaving the house - with proper preparation - but I want to wait until the end of Summer, at least. Is there any way to keep them from at bay in my room, at least? Just for 2 months, until I'm ready to go?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 23 2017 5:18:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In such situations the only long term solution is to fix the source. In your case the first step of that is to show everyone that there is an issue and that it needs to be addressed. Without this initial acknowledgement your task is akin to washing a kitchen floor when people don't take their muddy boots off when they come in. The best you can achieve is mitigating the impact down to a weekly or bi-weekly cleaning regime, this is simply not sustainable due to task fatigue.

The other reason why this needs to be the way to tackle it is that even when you discount the issue in the house there is the reality that they are being introduced somehow. Without acceptance of the issue this vital goal is a non starter.

However, the good news is that once people understand the issue they can learn to work together to resolve it. Yes its hard work and that is part of the reason why exterminators charge for what they do but it is not impossible to do on a tight budget if everyone co-operates.

If you do want to tackle it this way let me know. Its not going to be an overnight solution but you will start to see results very quickly and in a sustainable way.

Hope that helps explain things.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 23 2017 8:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It would be a lot of work to keep them 100% of of your room for 2 months. Less work to keep them out of your bed if your goal is just to avoid being bitten. In this case you would have to either first treat your bed and then isolate it. Alternatively, you could purchase an inexpensive folding cot, and then isolate that. There are also "tent" setups specific for bed bug protection you could get.

None of these strategies will get rid of the overall bed bug problem, but if you're leaving in two months, can't convince your grandmother's to treat and don't have the authority or means to treat yourself, one of these should help with the bite problem.

When it does come time to moving you will want to be very careful to not bring any bugs with you. We have tips and suggestions on this in the FAQ's and "Useful Tools" section. Good luck!

Richard

4. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 23 2017 9:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

David's right, even for a couple months, you really would need to address the problem. What do they say when you show them your bites?

Richard's isolation ideas may be a little helpful, maybe if you spread Cimexa all around a cot you isolated like that, it would help, but wouldn't they get you when you were in other parts of the house? Or they would tag along on your clothes to bed?

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 23 2017 12:29:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In this case, I don't think you would even need Cimexa although an option. I think ClimbUps or similar or a type of glue trap that could be home made per this thread here:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-monitor-available-independently-tested-by-richard-naylor

Again, not a bed bug solution, but a bed bug bite solution. Given the situation described, and the short time window, the former may not be a viable option.

As to clothes, "yes", proper precautions should be taken, but really not that difficult. I used the isolation cot concept myself when I thought I had bed bugs and just kept my bed clothing separate from my other clothing. I also threw my folding cot into a PackTite type device every once in awhile, but I don't see this as absolutely necessary. Vacuuming, appropriate contact sprays, and steam could alternatively be used to keep the bed area bed bug free.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,272 posts in 50,154 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl