Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Is it possible to be bitten even though K9s give all clear.

(9 posts)
  1. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Apr 20 2008 19:15:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a bite on the inside of my right arm. Do we think this took a while to flare up or do we still have them even though K9 says, no?

2. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Apr 20 2008 20:50:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. Nothing is 100%. Not even the K9's unfortunately. But I believe they are the best tool available today. That being said, I found that I had some sort of "bite" reactions for a few months after my home was structurally fumigated by vikane. Spring is also hear and even now, every bite, itch or welt I get...I fear "bed bugs" come to mind. For peace of mind, stay vigilant and if possible have another NEDSCA k9 come to visit about 4 weeks after the first. If by the unfortunate chance there was a bug or two that the dog missed, there would be a few more by that time and you would know for sure. Chances are either there's a bug or there isn't and you have hyper-sensitive skin reactions right now. (the after math of skin doing really weird things is pretty common from what I hear) I would be vigilant and get another inspection in a month for peace of mind.

3. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 1:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Boy am I a broken record, but in the interest of potential reassurance: I'm still seeing "new" red bumps, almost 5 months after moving on now. In the past week, I've seen a whole bunch, actually, so I am wondering if my body is having some weird physical/chemical reaction for reasons unknown or just timing/aging, dunno? But I'm pretty sure they're not new, actual, current bites.

4. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 13:48:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Same thing happened to me. After a 14 months of not finding anything I found some hatched eggs at the bottom of my bed in a screw hole. I have been over that bed a million times with inspecting and steaming etc... how could I have missed it.

5. buggedmama

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 17:23:17
    #

Login to Send PM

lieutenantdan ~ are you saying that this just happened? you have just found newly hatched eggs, and believe that the hatchlings have been biting you? if so, is there any chance that this is a new infestation? how could you not see any signs for 14 months then all of a sudden ..? (that last one was sort of a rhetorical question)

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 18:18:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I never said that. You would have to read some of my posts in the past to be updated. In brief. I have had skin reactions to something since we were treated which was 3 times in Dec.2006, a couple of weeks ago, thanks to Lou's picture of bb's in a screw hole I decided to inspect some areas that I have not really closely looked at in a while and found some hatched eggs and a couple of drops of poop. Don't know if eggs had been there since October 2006 or not. No other sightings since Jan. 2007 when I found one dead third or fourth instar in the next room. Your guess is as good as mine on how old the eggs were.
    We call "hatchlings" newly hatched nymphs or first instars. Gut feeling all along was that the possibility exists that we never got rid of all or re-infestation happened. Of course my reactions could have been from pesticides, stress or old bites acting up.
    This is the thing, no one knows. Unless you catch a live bug any bb related specimen or sample that you find could be very old.
    Mystery bite/skin reactions have been discussed on this site for a while, this is part of what drives people nuts.

7. buggedmama

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 18:48:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Dan. I have followed your posts, which is actually what made me think you meant that the eggs you just found and recent skin reactions were from a new infestation (because you said that you'd been over it a hundred times and never noticed them before). I thought you were linking the lingering skin sensations to the newfound eggs. Now that I re-read it NOT assuming the worst, I see that you simply meant you somehow managed to miss those remnants of hatched eggs until a recent examination. So that's good news all around... sort of. Heh.

8. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Apr 21 2008 19:50:07
    #

Login to Send PM

i had reactions for months after moving from my old place, but the canine said there was nothing in my place either. the reactions dwindled after awhile, and now i just get them the odd time. presumably this wouldn't have happened if there were still bugs here somewhere. so in answer to your question, i think yes, it is possible it's a delayed reaction. i like paula's suggestion of having a follow up canine visit later on. i might do that at some point, just to be sure.

9. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Apr 22 2008 10:34:04
    #

Login to Send PM

buggedmama,
    One egg find in an obscure area may or may not mean that I still have live bugs.
    I am saying that yes there may be a linked to my egg discovery and skin reactions or no there may NOT be a link.
    My point is there is no way of telling unless you find a live bug or you start to see dead bugs popping up or you find more eggs.
    The stealth and survival skills of these creatures are amazing.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,004 posts in 49,869 topics over 154 months by 21,823 of 22,291 members. Latest: Lzrdeyes, bnorth, Nl9045