Is it possible I caught the hitchhiker?

(4 posts)
  1. VioletRace

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 8:43:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Last Friday we went shopping and had dinner at the mall. We had the toddler in the stroller. When we got home I immediately spotted a bedbug on top of the baby carrier next to the stroller in my trunk/boot. We did not use the baby carrier and I hadn’t used it in the week or 2 prior. I keep it, the stroller, and the diaper bag in the car almost exclusively and use when out. They rarely, if ever, come in the house. I got a positive ID here that it was a bedbug. From my inexperience, to me, it looked like an adult that hadn’t fed recently. I have no idea if it was male or female and because it was dark I don’t think my photo is good enough to identify but here it is again anyway https://imgur.com/a/RoZ6aIq In my horror I flung it outside rather than killing and keeping it, which I’m really sorry about.

I poured over the Internet and this website and forum so I knew exactly what I needed to search for.

I have since ripped my car and house apart on my hands and knees with a flashlight. I spent 2 hours searching my car, lifting everything I could, taking apart the child car seats, etc. I pulled apart all 3 bedrooms, inspected every corner and crack of every piece of furniture, the baseboards, the baseboard radiators, the curtains, bedding, mattresses, took plates from electric and light switches off the walls, window frames, etc. I found nothing besides a few carpet beetle larva and skins. Absolutely nothing bedbug related. No bugs, no bed bug sheds, no fecal, no blood spots, no eggs. I know there are still places I could not see/get to but at this point I have no other evidence but the one I found in the car a week ago. I have not searched the sofa yet but plan to this weekend when my husband can watch the children.

None of us in a family of 4 has displayed any bite marks, though I know not everyone reacts I’m not sure we would all be so “lucky.”

All that to ask: how possible is it that I caught the hitchhiker immediately? I’ve stressed over this for a week and have gotten very little sleep.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate this forum and everyone who is so generous to answer questions.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 9:33:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes its possible to avert an infestation like that. You acted quickly and thoroughly and that's important.

I would suggest you also look at monitoring to ensure that anything else that's brought in on future occasions does not establish an extensive colony before its detected and cleared.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. VioletRace

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 10:57:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for you reply, David. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to read and answer my question. I have every intention of installing passive monitors on the beds. Is it worthwhile to put them on the sofas as well or would the beds be sufficient?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 11:07:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Beds are the most important.

Sofas depends on how much they are used and if you have visitors from outside the home sit on them. More use and more visitors increases the justification although its equally the case that disposing of a monitor will always be cheaper than the item of furniture.

David

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 11:07:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Beds are the most important.

Sofas depends on how much they are used and if you have visitors from outside the home sit on them. More use and more visitors increases the justification although its equally the case that disposing of a monitor will always be cheaper than the item of furniture.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19