(5 posts)
  1. SoTired

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 3 2013 21:49:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

Our one bedroom apartment was diagnosed with a "light infestation" in early January and the management office sent their PCO to treat for the first time on January 17th. We received a notice from our management office for four weeks in a row informing us that the PCO would be entering the apartment, but since my husband and I work during the day, we couldn't be there for the visits and we have no idea what happened while they were there (I made multiple attempts to get reports from the management office--even wrote a letter to request the reports--to no avail). The office did say that the PCOs only come on Thursdays and as it turns out, I had some asthma flare-ups every Thursday night/Friday morning for four weeks in a row, which makes me think our apartment was sprayed on each one of their visits.

Anyhow, here we are on March 3rd and neither my husband nor I have had any bites nor have we seen any evidence of bed bugs since that first treatment on January 17th. We purchased some ClimbUps which remain empty and we bought a fresh white sheet which has remained free of any stains. When is it safe to say that we're in the clear? I hope it's soon, as we are supposed to move on March 22nd and we really don't want to take any bugs with us... Any advice for precautions we can take for our move?

Also, is it possible for certain types of chemicals used by PCOs to cause problems for asthma/allergy sufferers? I found that for about 24 hours after every visit I got very congested, my voice got hoarse, my throat got sore, and my asthma flared a bit. I wish I knew what kind of chemicals were used in our home...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 3 2013 23:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

You have a right to know what was applied. Ask the management office for a list of chemicals and where applied (which the PMP should either be leaving with them or you).

I am not a pesticide expert, but yes, there are possible side effects and I would assume these may relate to the type of product, the method (degree) of application, or your existing asthma/allergy conditions.

Once you have a list of what was used, call the National Pesticide Information Center (links in the Pesticides section of our Resources page) and ask about them. It may be that airing out your home would help. The PMPs who post here may have more feedback-- esp. if you can post a list of products.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Mar 3 2013 23:27:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Your profile says you're in MA.

I think the relevant law stating you have a right to know what was applied and where is here (PDF will load):

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/agr/legal/regs/333-cmr-13-00.pdf

Look under 13.08: "Commercial Applications of Pesticides to Residential Settings", #1 ("General Requirements"), letter g ("Upon completion of each application...")

4. SoTired

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 4 2013 6:36:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks--this is very helpful. I have a list of about 10 dates where I called the office to request the report after each treatment. Each time, I have been told: "The report isn't ready/call back tomorrow/call back early next week/the person with the report is not in today/we'll call you back with that information." This went on for a month and I never got a single report. Then I wrote a letter to the property manager requesting the reports, and I included a description + pictures of items that had been broken/damaged during two of the four PCO visits, and the property manager responded a week later with a short note that said she would forward our inquiry to the extermination company. We never heard from them. This ridiculousness is not unusual for our management office, which is why we are moving, but now they want the equivalent of one month's rent to be let out of the lease, which seems unreasonable since my apartment is making me sick--even weeks after treatment (my symptoms go away within 10 minutes of leaving the house)--and they haven't done anything to address that. Very frustrating.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Mar 4 2013 8:20:56
    #

Login to Send PM

They're probably not at all used to residents asking for information about why was applied and where. Most people don't bother. Pointing out the relevant laws should do the trick.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls