Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Is it normal/reasonable for a PCO to request this?

(6 posts)
  1. IH8BB

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Sep 26 2009 7:07:04
    #

Login to Send PM

My dad has bed bugs in his apartment and the building is planning to send in a PCO to treat the unit. The PCO requests that he do several things as prep before they come in to treat, like vacuuming thoroughly, and clearing a two foot perimeter around the room. It's all definitely a lot of work, but one thing in particular seems like it would be incredibly difficult to do, and I quote:

"Empty all closets, cabinets and drawers."

Is this a normal thing for PCOs to request when treating units for bed bugs? My dad moved not too long ago and he has a ton of boxes in a very large closet and a lot of stuff in drawers, cabinets, etc. and there's no way he could remove all of that (and he wouldn't have anywhere to put it anyway).

2. bugfreebed

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Sep 26 2009 10:44:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs hide every where but not everything is treatable for the PCO cloths and things of a more sensitive nature need to be handled by the client also his time is costly so the more you do in prep the more time he has to treat and the more effective his treatment will be . Bed bugs are the most difficult pest to treat and for the treatments to be effective it takes allot from both the PCO and the client .

3. IH8BB

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2009 17:19:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response, but I know PCOs post on this forum and was wondering if one of them wouldn't mind answering my question? I'm just wondering if this is something that all/most PCOs ask their clients before treating. I realize that getting rid of bed bugs requires substantial work both from the individual and the PCO but I would think at some point the PCO has to stop asking the client to clean and remove everything from the unit and just go treat the place. I mean it's not reasonably possible to prepare a unit (depending on size, number of occupants, etc.) perfectly for treatment unless you pack up everything and move and only then have the PCOs come to treat the unit.

4. depressedandconfused

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2009 18:11:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I hate to say it, but this is a typical request from some PCOs. We are using M&M, and we were asked not only to remove everything from cabinets and drawers, but to also put everything in airtight, sealed containers. We spent a few hundred dollars on plastic bins, bubble wrap and xtra large ziplocs to pack everything up. It was a nightmare. We threw out a ton of stuff. Our whole house is sealed up, and we can't find anything. I worry that I will have missed a bug or egg while cleaning things and putting them away, and that when I go to put everything back my bug problems will start all over again.

It took us weeks to get everything packed, and I hired a woman for two days to help me put everything away. My husband and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment packed to the gills with stuff -- lots of clothes and books.

If you want to avoid packing all your stuff away, you should research Vikaine fumigation and thermal treatments. There is much less prep with those two options.

5. bugfreebed

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2009 18:23:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm a PCO and my prep list isn't as extreme as some of the ones I've from other companies . I personally base my prep list on an individual basis . Personally I like to be the move the stuff as I go through the room and I'll leave it up the client to put it back the way they want , but some of that has to worked out w/ the client and there abilities .

6. QueensBedbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Sep 29 2009 18:55:54
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO had asked the same as the one your requested. I vacuumed or steamed everything, washed the clothes (and put aside a week's worth of clothes to be the only things to wear for 2 months...washing everything), everything was double and triple bagged in clear plastic bags, sheets were washed once or twice a week, any clean clothes remained in plastic bags, dirty clothes went in another plastic bag. Anything not vital to everyday living was put away in a storage locker. I checked every 3 weeks to make sure there weren't any holes in any of the bags and rebagged everything to make sure that they were airtight if there were holes. Most of it I did by myself, with a friend (who had gone through a bedbug dilemma herself) coming over one night to help with a bunch of things for an evening. It took a week and a half to get everything night and I pulled an all nighter the night before the PCO came trying to get everything prepped. It really is a lot of work, and is quite annoying, but is necessary because they hide in wood, they hide in clothes, they hide in the cracks in your walls, they hide everywhere. You need to try to reduce any hiding spots they may show up in as greatly as possible so that the treatment would be most effective.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69