Is it ever going to end?

(13 posts)
  1. RMJcar

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 21 2015 22:35:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I discovered that I had bed bugs a little over a month ago in a late 1930s townhouse I bought about 10 months ago. I had done a lot of traveling earlier in the year, but also the previous owner had bed bugs and used a heat treatment from a PCO (I was never told of course). In addition all my neighbors point their fingers to a certain neighbor I share a firewall with. In fact the neighbor on the other side of the supposedly bad neighbor said they had bed bugs at one point too. I did travel with other people and they didn't get bed bugs, but it is rare to get bed bugs between firewalls, though my firewall is old.

I've had three chemical treatments from a PCO and have followed protocol. They are scheduled to do one more on Monday. I recently got another bite and found an adult bed bug (which seemed to be dying, but still alive) near my bed. I also saw a small bug in the basement on top of one of my trash bags with clean clothes. It could of been a baby german cockroach (I have an coakroach infestation too).

Are the bed bugs coming from my neighbor? Will this nightmare end? Is it normal to still have bed bugs at this point? I hate living like this!

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 22 2015 8:47:09
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to check the suspect neighbor's unit. Does the building have the old style radiant heat pipes? Bedbugs will migrate along those pipes.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. RMJcar

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 22 2015 18:43:31
    #

Login to Send PM

The townhouses are as individual as you can get. The only common items is the firewall. The PCO is going to send a few managers to check out the situation,

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 22 2015 21:12:35
    #

Login to Send PM

They need to have all units attached to yours inspected. Is there any kind of HOA that can help make this happen?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. RMJcar

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2015 9:18:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately my townhouse was built before HOAs. I've been trying with the city, but they have no laws. I asked the kids living in the problem unit tactfully if they have bugs. They said they have "lots".

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2015 13:08:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Yikes. Sorry you have to deal with that. I hope the city can help

In the meantime, a PCO may be able to advise and/or help with sealing off any spaces where they might come from the attached neighbor.

7. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2015 20:31:40
    #

Login to Send PM

RMJcar - 1 day ago  » 
    I discovered that I had bed bugs a little over a month ago in a late 1930s townhouse I bought about 10 months ago. I had done a lot of traveling earlier in the year, but also the previous owner had bed bugs and used a heat treatment from a PCO (I was never told of course).

I'm not a legal expert, but I do have some experience with buying and selling real estate. The previous infestation and treatment should have been clearly stated in the seller's disclosure at the time of sale. As far a I know (again, I'm not an expert) that is a firm legal requirement in every state.

Don't know where you are and exactly what kind of recourse you are entitled to, but it might be worth consulting with an attorney. There's a possibility you could seek damages.

RMJcar - 1 day ago  » 
    Will this nightmare end?

Stay strong. It does get better

Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  8. RMJcar

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2015 21:24:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone! Melanie, my townhouse is in Virginia. I heard I cannot seek legal damages, though if you head different, I am happy to hear. I also had pretty bad leaks during some storms and my realtor said that Virginia is pretty pro-seller.

9. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2015 21:37:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Is the problem unit directly below you? If that's the case, you're going to want to make sure those people aren't using 'bombs' or repellent based products.

10. RMJcar

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2015 12:50:50
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO gave me the clear to start putting my house back to normal. I got one of those overpriced heaters to start treating my and my roomate's stuff that are in bags. I am still hesitant because of the dying adult I saw a few days ago.

@Jim I only share a firewall with the problem unit. It is just my basement below.

11. RMJcar

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 21 2015 22:00:17
    #

Login to Send PM

My roommate and I both got a single bite. I really hope they are not back. I am having the pcp come anyways to treat for cockroaches that won't go away and they hopefully will check for bed bugs. What are the best monitor devices?

12. BBdeliverance2015

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 23 2015 0:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, to know a firewall might be a not work is a new revelation. Virginia has to have a 311 or public health department. Check your buying contract, clauses... With is being such a widespread problem all over the U. S. and you are near NJ and NY. Somebody knows about something. I would tell you to create a barriers DE and get some treatments in the wall, baseboards, and around those pipes and caulk any open spaces. Ask for treatment durations to. Heat would be useless with the neighbors having them. See if they are gonna tackle it too. I was down to four bugs with that barrier in between treatments, then two. My neighbor had them upstairs and he did not do any prep so that kept them up in his apt. I had some success by creating a barrier with dust. Till I moved and found them in my car. I would tell you to treat your car, luggage, hell everything... check bedbugregistry next time you travel take a clear plastic bag with you and I put my luggage in from the airport before I go to the room and put my stuff in tub You can check a room and still not find a thing!!!!. Although, most places will lie about any bedbug history or current issues. Learn where not to put your stuff. I think you can get it under control. As long as the neighbor has them, it can remain an issue unless you work together. I thought cockroaches ate bedbugs? Best wishes. I hope you get more insight.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 23 2015 0:21:04
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956