Is it bed bugs? It's been weeks, I need answers

(3 posts)
  1. Agoraphobia

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Wed Jun 13 2018 22:11:29
    #

Login to Send PM

So, TL;DR version: I woke up with two bites on my neck in the beginning of May. I had a PCO come; he said he saw two bed bugs on my box spring but he didn't kill or capture them. That struck me as strange and it seemed like he didn't know what he was talking about, so I had three more bed-bug-specialized PCOs come, including one with a K9 that didn't alert after combing the whole apartment twice. All said they saw nothing that would indicate bed bugs, but it could be early and to encase the mattresses and put ClimbUps under the bed legs, which I did.

After a thorough inspection, the fourth PCO said if I'm still getting bitten then he'd treat if I wanted. I said yes because I'm still getting bitten and I was willing to pay for peace of mind at the very least. (Plus I read that visual inspections are only 30% accurate because these damn things are so good at hiding.)

Fast forward to now. I had my first chemical treatment but was still being bitten every night (always single bites now; sometimes under and through my clothes - leggings - as well as on exposed skin. Usually only one or two bites at a time). Tomorrow morning will be my second chemical treatment, so it's been almost exactly two weeks since the first treatment.

During all this I've seen no bed bugs, no shed skins, no fecal or smearing, no blood stains on my white bed after being bitten - nothing. I've encased all mattresses and box springs, heat treated everything that can be heat treated in a ZappBug and put it in XXL Ziplocs, washed and dried all my clothing and fabrics on high heat and then put them in either XXL Ziploc bags or airtight plastic storage containers, and put ClimbUps under all upholstered furniture and the bed legs. Nothing in the ClimbUps but small spiders and they've been down for weeks now.

I also put a passive monitor (David Cain's design) on my boxspring because I was still getting bitten even though I had the ClimbUps on the bed and had encased mattress, box spring, and all pillows, so I thought they might be living in the frame or something. I also put one in my car. Neither have shown any signs of bed bugs - the edges are all still pristine white - but I'm still being bitten.

What's going on here? Was the first PCO full of sh**? Do I have bed bugs or is it something else?

2. Pattycake

Posted 4 days ago
    Wed Jun 13 2018 22:30:50
    #

Login to Send PM

How long have you had the monitors in place? David Cain’s says should show signs in two weeks. If they are properly installed and no signs it would probably be best for you to search for another reason for the bites. I had to give up on the bb idea and have now waged war on the carpet beetles. I hate bugs...

3. Agoraphobia

newbite

Posted 2 days ago
    Fri Jun 15 2018 5:17:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Pattycake - 1 day ago  » 
    How long have you had the monitors in place? David Cain’s says should show signs in two weeks. If they are properly installed and no signs it would probably be best for you to search for another reason for the bites. I had to give up on the bb idea and have now waged war on the carpet beetles. I hate bugs...

I'll wait a bit longer because I've had them in place for a week, but I'm not seeing anything. I've been thinking it may be carpet beetles because I saw something a while back that may have been one, but when I ran to grab a bag to put it in it was gone when I got back. However, what did that first PCO see? He's the wrench in the machinery. I asked him if he was sure that what he saw was bed bugs and he said yes. So I don't know.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,595 posts in 45,047 topics over 137 months by 19,778 of 20,511 members. Latest: Savingabel16, K2000, 2peanuts2pumpkins