Is blocking entry points worth doing if you can't do it 100%

(4 posts)
  1. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 6 2017 16:43:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Before he left, the exterminator told me that my bugs were coming from another apartment, seeing as how I found a bug in the bathroom even though they had been eliminated from my sofa-bed in my living/sleeping room. He suggested sealing up entry points to reduce the risk, particularly to the bathroom and the adjacent kitchen.

The trouble is that even though I might (although I'm not certain) be able to find a way to seal off all entry points through the bathroom walls, in the kitchen there are entry points which are not accessible, such as screw holes behind the unit that holds my hobs and a stretch of baseboard behind the unit with the sink in it. As I am renting, I can't mess about with this stuff too much. I also don't know how well I could seal off my main room because there are problems such as old vinyl flooring which has come unglued slightly along certain joins going up to the wall—maybe I could rig something up with sticky tape, but it would be very visible.

My question is whether there is any point sealing up entry points if you can't do it completely. Would it significantly reduce my risk of getting reinfested—or at least the speed at which that happens? Or is it just not worth the bother?

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Sep 6 2017 19:58:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that I would prob try to do what I could, if for no other reason than my peace of mind. Caulk or silicone in the bathroom, since we know that the BB can get in there already, and whichever other areas you can do without destroying the unit. Is it possible to have the maintenance crew in to seal up the kitchen areas and reglue the flooring?

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 6:47:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No, its a complete and absolute fallacy that it works. It can actually make the matter a lot worse.

In the past I have dealt with infestations under laminate flooring, behind wardrobes silicone sealed to the walls and just about every forms of attempting to seal in.

Its all a huge waste of time because it diverts you from actually seeking and resolving the source which is the only thing that actually works.

Its time for the world to wake up and realize that smell in the background is coffee on this one.

Hope that helps and saves you hours of wasted time and a massive amount of frustration when it does not work.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 8:34:41
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi,
    No, its a complete and absolute fallacy that it works. It can actually make the matter a lot worse.
    In the past I have dealt with infestations under laminate flooring, behind wardrobes silicone sealed to the walls and just about every forms of attempting to seal in.
    Its all a huge waste of time because it diverts you from actually seeking and resolving the source which is the only thing that actually works.
    Its time for the world to wake up and realize that smell in the background is coffee on this one.
    Hope that helps and saves you hours of wasted time and a massive amount of frustration when it does not work.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

It's crazy bothersome that the PCO's are recommending consumers do the absolute wrong things to 'remedy' the situation. No wonder this is an epidemic.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172