Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Is alcohol flammable after it dries?

(4 posts)
  1. acs80

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2014 16:33:20
    #

Login to Send PM

First off, sorry for all my posts as of late, and thank you to everyone for your calm, expert guidance. I promise to return the favor once I'm sane again.

I'm getting ready for a chemical treatment tomorrow, and am in the process of drying/Packtiting/bagging all my things. I was told by my PCO that I could spray objects that are heat-sensitive down with 91% alcohol before bagging them. I understand, however, that alcohol is very flammable. My question is, is it only flammable in its liquid state, or does it continue to be flammable after it dries? I looked online and can't find a definitive answer, and posters on this forum often comment that it's highly flammable, but I'm not sure if they're talking about the liquid, fumes, or the evaporate. I've used quite a bit in my home already, and if I'm risking the whole place going up in flames, I should probably stop with the alcohol while I'm ahead.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2014 17:14:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know, but alcohol is said to be only a contact killer, so I wouldn't see "spraying" items down as that helpful. Are they items you can wipe down and visually inspect (like CDs)...

You must be exhausted.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. acs80

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Apr 13 2014 18:09:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I am pretty close to being in tears. The bed bugs seem to have come from my boyfriend, who just moved in with me. He must be a non-reactor, because it appears that he had a MASSIVE infestation in his old apartment, which he brought over to my house (apparently he had no idea). I am devastated, because this is my first home that I bought on my own, and I've worked so hard to make it nice (lots of DIY projects, elbow grease, etc.). And now every time we turn around and look through some of the things that he brought over here, we're finding evidence of BBs. The only saving grace is that most of his belongings went into a single room in the basement, so maybe the problem is semi-contained, though I fear they may have gotten into the walls (which is how they got upstairs two floors to my bedroom). Thank you for your sympathy, though. I wouldn't wish this scourge on my worst enemy.

4. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Apr 14 2014 2:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not 100% sure but i don't think its flammable anymore once the characteristic odor of alcohol is completely gone from the items, but i would wait for an expert to chime in before you go forward with this method.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,704 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323