Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Is a metal frame for your bed a necessity?

(7 posts)
  1. Gahhh

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 5 2015 14:38:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I was just talking to a bed bug treatment representative, and I was told I HAD to get a mental frame for my bed to monitor for bed bugs. I have been battling bed bugs and am not sure they are gone. As it is, I have a box spring and mattress, both of which are covered by Terminix encasements.

What do people think about the necessity of a metal frame?

Thanks!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 5 2015 14:46:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am actually an advocate of the exact opposite. I dislike tubular metal frame beds because they can remove many of the close harbourage points and thus result in the dispersal of bedbugs. I have less of an issue with metal "bed risers" to keep the box base off the floor but literally nothing beats an optimised wooden slatted bed.

If optimised when built you literally give the bedbugs no choice but to hang out exactly where you want them to be and in a way that makes them easier to resolve. I have written a guide called optimisation of furniture in advance of bedbug infestations which covers the theory and shows how to do it.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 5 2015 15:00:35
    #

Login to Send PM

BBUK: I have written a guide called optimisation of furniture in advance of bedbug infestations which covers the theory and shows how to do it.
    -------------------
    Do you have a link to the article?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 5 2015 15:03:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its one of the advanced educational documents, the direct link is:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedoptimisationfirstdraft.pdf

David

5. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 5 2015 19:37:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Very informative read! Thank you David!

One quick, and one longer question:

1. You mention foam as a filler several times. Is foam a repellant to bed bugs? I ask because if not, it seems that the bugs could still enter since foam compresses and does not offer as complete a seal such as for example tape.

2. I thought I previously understood the concept of directing the bugs to an optimum harbonage by eliminating the other harbonages, therefore making inspection and treatment easier. Based on this, I thought my home setup was a good one for bed bugs even though that is not why I set it up that way. So I was surprised when several PCO's -- not sure if you were one -- said it was a terrible set up And one comment was basically that I "should get off of the floor" if I want a better setup.

Again, I have an all cotton futon mattress on the floor. It's a Japanese style futon mattress, not one of the overly padded American ones. It has no encasement at the moment.The wall is the head board if you want to call it that. The sheets and the rest of the bedding go right on top of it. At the head of the bed -- half under the futon and the other half sticking out and touching the wall -- is your passive monitor.

My thinking then is that the bed bugs only have two places to go, since there is no box spring or headboard. They will either harbonate in one of the four folds on each corner of the futon (very easy to inspect) or they will harbonate in your passive monitor (also easy to inspect).

So the question is why is this a bad set up? Seems to me that it's much better than the typical wood slatted or metal bed on box spring and mattress with headboard, considering very few wooden beds are optimized the way your sample bed is.

And if I put an encasement on the futon, then it might even be a better setup because then no folds to inspect, just your monitor.

So where have I gone wrong?

Richard

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2015 4:23:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard,

1 - No it does not repel it seals and seals certain issues better than a sealant / caulk which will degrade with time.

2 - Again let me for the last time explain an optimised frame will always be better than a mattress on the floor. Let imagine for a second that you are in a castle that is under attack or soon to be. The castle built in the forest does not have as much warning as the one on open planes. In this case the bed frame can be used to channel the bedbugs into defined areas where they are simply concentrated by virtue of the fact that the closest refugia are in immediate proximity to the mattress and thus you and yet the intermediate refugia are removed by the presence of the bed.

To represent this numerically we get either 2 or 3 discrete areas or zone, such as:

10 - 10 - mattress on the floor (2 zones).

10 - 5 - 10 mattress on frame on floor whereby the 5 represents a non optimised bed and thus there are multiple potential harbourages.

10 - 1 - 10 is a mattress on an optimised frame on the floor whereby the optimised frame gives only 1 place that bedbugs will find easy to colonise.

It can seem to be OK to you all day long but only one of us has enough of a perspective to see the patterns that occur when peoples homes are infested with bedbugs.

As well you know I am not a fan of encasements for multiple reasons and while your futon does not have the same thygmotaxic issues as a piped mattress those "wiffle bags" are just a shockingly bad attempt to defraud people through fallacious marketing claims. I try to focus my objections to the facts but frankly at least one of the "made in USA brands" is "packaged in the USA" and made in China. If they cant get the basics of ethics correct the more advanced stuff like being honest is way beyond their grasp.

For less than the annual wastage on encasements you could actually do something to fix the bedbug issue for everyone. Sobering thought hey.

There are also other health and sleep quality reasons why sleeping at the floor level is not a good idea, least of all is CO2 is a heavy gas and as such you are sleeping in low quality air. Think that one makes no difference, try running your car on 90% fuel and 10% water for a few weeks and then realise that the internal combustion engine is 25% efficient while biological systems are usually only 3% - 10%.

The set up you have will suffice but please stop trying to convince yourself its optimal because as previously explained there are better more optimal solutions and you need to either accept those and work towards them or be satisfied with what you have. You cant have it both ways.

David

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2015 19:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

One thing to add is if you have hired a PCO who requires a certain action ("toss out sofa," "use metal bed frame") then not doing so may void any guarantees or terms you've agreed to. So your choice then is to go along with their ideas, or choose someone else.

(To give a less controversial example, there is a NYC PCO who tells people to throw away their beds. Every customer, every bed. I don't know of any experts here who would recommend that; in fact, quite the opposite. However, if that's your PCO, there may be ramifications to not going along with their protocols. Or choose someone else.)

Note that other PMPs who use this site have recommended metal bed frames, so there is a difference of opinion on this topic. I am not encouraging a rehashing of the discussion; you can likely easily find other threads on this topic by clicking the tag "metal frames" above.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993