Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Would this be a good bed bug precaution treatment?

(4 posts)
  1. Redtape

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 1:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

My mom wanted me to visit her for the weekend, she knew i was stressed over my BB infestation and said i needed to get away for a bit. I did bring a little bit of clothes (just two pairs of pants and two shirts, underwear and a pair of socks) but I made sure to check them thoroughly for any bed bugs and fanned them out multiple times, then I made sure to tie them up in plastic bags and put them out in direct sun light for an hour or so. Then I put them in my trunk while I was at work and my car was parked outside, and it was about 100 degrees out that day (I live in Nevada so it gets pretty darn hot here during the afternoon), which would mean the temperatures in the trunk had to have been pretty extreme, and I'm guessing the heat killed any bed bugs off that might have possibly been on my clothes. When I got to her house, just to be safe, I put all of my clothes right in the washer and then in the dryer on high heat setting for an hour. Shoes I made sure to keep outside, and all other stuff brought with me (mp3 player, phone, headphones, wallet, ID, etc) went straight into a zip loc bag. You guys think this would be a good precaution treatment in preventing me from spreading them to her house? I've already been here for a day and everything seems fine so far, no signs of having BBs. Checked the bed seams, nothing. No blood spots or anything either. Gave a quick check around the room in the cracks and stuff for any and didn't find any (the room im staying in is pretty small, just a bed (with no box spring), a dresser, and some pictures hung up. I did notice a few bites when I woke up, but im pretty sure it's just bites i gotten when I was in my apartment a few days back that are reacting late.
    Anyways, did my clothes sunlight/trunk heat treatment seem legit?

2. wontbugmywits

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 2:33:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately your heat treatment in the car would not be considered "legit." Leaving things in the car is actually not an efficient means of deconning your stuff. Apparently the science is complex, but one of the pros here, David Cain, explains it well. However....the hot wash and dry you did when you got to your Moms' place was good work, that is "legit." And sounds good that you didn't bring your shoes in and everything was stored in a ziplock. Relax, you've done the best you can.

3. Redtape

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 3:03:32
    #

Login to Send PM

wontbugmywits - 26 minutes ago  » 
    Unfortunately your heat treatment in the car would not be considered "legit." Leaving things in the car is actually not an efficient means of deconning your stuff. Apparently the science is complex, but one of the pros here, David Cain, explains it well. However....the hot wash and dry you did when you got to your Moms' place was good work, that is "legit." And sounds good that you didn't bring your shoes in and everything was stored in a ziplock. Relax, you've done the best you can.

Really? It was 100 degrees out, so the trunk had to have been pretty darn hot. I figured leaving the clothes in there for a good six hours would work. I've read that exposing them to temperatures greater than 115-120 degrees can kill them quite efficiently, and I'm pretty sure the trunk of my car was around that temperature that day.

4. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 8 2012 8:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The thing is the heat needs to be consistent. If there's one cool spot the bugs will move there to escape and return after. You can't accomplish that with the sun. There's usually "shade" underneath all your things. It tends to be cooler underneath.

To effectively decon your things with heat, the objects need to be consistently heated all the way around. Packtites are awesome and worth it if you can afford one.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993