Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Is a free inspection a good idea?

(4 posts)
  1. acp1234

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 28 2015 11:00:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all. My apartment complex has recently instituted a bed bug policy, which is great. I'm glad they are being proactive: disseminating information to residents, requiring owners to report and then professionally treat any infestations, etc.

As part of this initiative, they are making available free bed bug inspections to any resident who is interested. The inspection is being offered by a major pest control company (I'm not stating the name because I'm not sure if there are any forum rules about stating the names of the companies).

I'm someone who is always kinda paranoid about bed bugs, especially now that it's the end of the summer and we (and I'm assuming other building residents) have taken vacations.

Do you all think it's a good idea to accept the free inspection offer, or do you think it's a ploy for them to sell bed bug treatments? Will they just say they found something in order to get a client? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2015 7:34:47
    #

Login to Send PM

If you don't have any signs of bed bugs, not sure why you'd want to have your place inspected, be it free or not. I don't think I would if I were in your shoes.

Has your building had a recent history of infestations? Any units near you affected? If "yes", then maybe I'd have it inspected.

As to your concerns, if you decide to get inspected, just make sure they show you the evidence before treating, that being either a bug, cast skin, egg or fecal. A barking dog is not evidence and don't let them tell you it is.

BTW good to hear you building has this initiative, just not sure I'd participate in the "free inspection part" unless given good reasons. That said, you might look over our FAQ's and 'Useful Tools' section for tips on both DIY inspections and monitoring.

Richard

3. Canuck

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2015 13:54:01
    #

Login to Send PM

My response would be yes - I would like a free inspection. It provides a stress free time to see the company in action and determine if they are indeed knowledgeable about the pest and that their proceedures are professional. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2015 14:02:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Sheree:

My response would be yes - I would like a free inspection. It provides a stress free time to see the company in action and determine if they are indeed knowledgeable about the pest and that their proceedures are professional.

By your logic then, cost aside, everyone should have a professional bed bug inspection regardless if they have any signs or at risk, other than the risk of living on the planet? Am I reading you wrong here? Personally, I just don't see it.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,340 posts in 44,488 topics over 135 months by 19,506 of 20,185 members. Latest: R1180m, SBbluebed, Panic-in-my-bedroom