Is 6 weeks too early to claim success?

(6 posts)
  1. jenh8sbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 27 2011 8:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

We've had a PCO treat 4 times in 6 weeks. Never found a single dead BB. The only bugs we've found since first treatment have been alive on the frame of a wooden bunk bed frame with hundreds of hiding places. The fecal stains are all around a few of the screw holes. I have vacuumed and steamed the whole bed frame after taking it apart before the last spray treatment from PCO last week. Because we've found no dead bugs, our PCO said that maybe our infestation was lighter than we suspected. Is it reasonable to think that the bugs were really only in the beds and not all over the bedrooms? I have searched inside and outside of every piece of furniture and never found any fecal stains on anything, bugs, eggs or cast skins for that matter. I decided this past weekend (5 weeks after first treatment) to move clothing and toys back to the kids' rooms. Our PCO actually told us we could move things back to the rooms the day of the 1st treatment. He was pretty confident that any bugs that where in the rooms or that traveled to the treated rooms from untreated rooms would come into contact with the pesticides, then die. I had read your site and decided to wait, not wanting to re-infest anything and have to go through all the washing again, since we have 6 kids. That's a lot of laundry! After living like this for 6 weeks now, I have found zero evidence and no dead bugs anywhere beyond the beds (which the mattresses were encased immediately after treatment) so I feel like it's safe to move back in. Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Sep 27 2011 8:05:15
    #

Login to Send PM

When was the last time that you saw a live BB?

3. jenh8sbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 28 2011 6:12:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The last time we found a live bug was 11 days ago on the boys' bunk bed. We have seen nothing in the other 4 beds in 39 days. I've read the comments about the "55 days" but I really don't think my whole house was infested to begin with. I have found no evidence that any bugs were anywhere but the beds. Also, we had several people stay in the room with the most heavily infested bed over the summer and no one took bed bugs home with them. My mother-in-law stayed in that room for 3 nights with her suitcase on the floor and she has no bed bugs; we've checked ourselves just to be sure. Thanks for asking.

4. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 28 2011 7:33:21
    #

Login to Send PM

If you found a live bug 11 days ago, then you're only 10 days free at best.

I think the idea is that 55 days, or 8 weeks, or whatever, is a good number because any eggs will have hatched, attempted to feed or fed and grown to a a larger nymph or adult, and are more likely to be seen than a 1st stage nymph.

Just because no one took bugs home with them doesn't mean that there are no bugs. Just because no one is showing signs of bites doesn't mean that there are no bugs.

Eternal vigilance is the price of living bug free.

If you found a live bug 11 days ago, have you had PCO out to retreat? I'd suggest it since you found clear evidence of a continued problem (even if it's the last bug, better safe than sorry).

jenh8sbugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    The last time we found a live bug was 11 days ago on the boys' bunk bed. We have seen nothing in the other 4 beds in 39 days. I've read the comments about the "55 days" but I really don't think my whole house was infested to begin with. I have found no evidence that any bugs were anywhere but the beds. Also, we had several people stay in the room with the most heavily infested bed over the summer and no one took bed bugs home with them. My mother-in-law stayed in that room for 3 nights with her suitcase on the floor and she has no bed bugs; we've checked ourselves just to be sure. Thanks for asking.

5. jenh8sbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 28 2011 12:44:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, they re-treated all rooms 4 days after last siting.

As far as the other people not having bugs, how long before we or they know that they have bugs. Several have had professional inspections and the others my husband and I checked their homes and beds ourselves since they didn't know what to look for. Most people were exposed to them in our home in June and July and it's the end of September now. Wouldn't they have seen something by now? The reason it took me so long to find ours is because I didn't know I had to look under the box springs. I was just looking on the sheets.

6. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 28 2011 14:08:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that some of the PCOs on the site have said you'll start seeing signs within 2 weeks if you've brought home new residents.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123