Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Introduction and desperate plea for help. An effective wall and ceiling barrier?

(7 posts)
  1. dirtyhobo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 18:05:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. (So much for my introduction.)

I sleep in a wooden loft bed that is affixed to the wall of my NYC apartment. About a month into the infestation—after having won what I thought were some early victories using a vacuum cleaner, a blow-dryer, a spray bottle full of rubbing alcohol and water, and a clothes steamer that my oven thermometer said reached 200 degrees—my DIY war has become a rout and I'm on the verge of signing over my bedroom and tossing in the Sudetenland.

For the last three nights, I've woken in the wee hours, turned on the lights, and discovered blood-bloated bed bugs (nymphs, adults, and every size in between) crawling away along my walls and ceiling after having dined on me at their leisure—and the numbers have been growing.

Since I'm planning on painting when this is done I've had no qualms about squishing them on sight; and my ceiling is starting to look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

After browsing this site a while, I contacted KillerQueen by phone. He spoke to me for 20 minutes, giving me the best advice with the least judgmental attitude of any of the PCOs I've spoken to so far. After I described my situation in detail to him, he referred me to different local PCO whose methods better fit my needs, and help should soon be on the way.

Meanwhile, I'm scared.

Though, luckily, I don't react to the bites, the idea of spending another night as a food supply for an ever growing number parasites is freaking me out.

I'll be hitting the wooden loft itself with Murphy's Oil Soap and sealing every crevice I can find with wood putty (as per advise found on this forum) tomorrow; but meanwhile, is there any way to halt their open march along my walls and ceiling?

High-quality duct tape (one-sided but staple-gunned and taped down along the edges) has yet to catch a single nymph.

The comments here about Vaseline seem ambiguous; and I would have to cover a large area.

One thought I had was trying regular magic transparent tape, sticky-side down, sprinkled with talc. Has anyone heard of anything like this working?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated (especially within the next 4 hours).

Thanks fellow sufferers.

2. jean127

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 18:22:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I've heard of using Scotch tape (shiny side up - dusted with talcum powder) applied to the ceiling outside the perimeter of your bed and above the baseboards to stop the bugs from gaining a grasp then falling back to the floor. Some say it works.

3. dirtyhobo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 19:25:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Really? I thought I was just grasping at straws with that idea. Thank you. I will try it and let you know how it goes.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Sep 27 2012 19:33:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I wrote a long reply that crashed earlier.

If your treatment is soon don't seal or do things that could make it worse.

If you think about creating a barrier such as complete netting you are more likely to get relief. Wih time there are commercial solutions but on a deadline what do you have access to?

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. dirtyhobo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 10:24:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I slept on an air mattress in the living room since my bedroom is the primary source of the infestation.

I'm hoping the PCO will be here Monday for an inspection and soon after an eradication; but they never returned my call; and when I just called them again, they said they were 'swamped'. )Apparently the epidemic continues.)

In any case, having read on this forum that leaving the primary infected room will result in the little buggers spreading out in search of new food, I guess I must brave the coming nights with them.

Aside from the tape trick, are there other approaches? I don't know what this 'netting' Mr. Cain referred to is (guess I'll PM him), but again, any suggestions that I might implement between now and 11 PM Eastern Time, would be greatly appreciated.

Signed,

A Food Source for Thousands.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 10:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Search for mosquito nets and you will get the idea or try bedbug tent and you will be spot on.

David

7. dirtyhobo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 28 2012 10:28:32
    #

Login to Send PM

dirtyhobo - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I slept on an air mattress in the living room since my bedroom is the primary source of the infestation.
    I'm hoping the PCO will be here Monday for an inspection and soon after an eradication; but they never returned my call; and when I just called them again, they said they were 'swamped'. )Apparently the epidemic continues.)
    In any case, having read on this forum that leaving the primary infected room will result in the little buggers spreading out in search of new food, I guess I must brave the coming nights with them.
    Aside from the tape trick, are there other approaches? I don't know what this 'netting' bed-bugscouk referred to is (guess I'll PM him), but again, any suggestions that I might implement between now and 11 PM Eastern Time, would be greatly appreciated.
    Signed,
    A Food Source for Thousands.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls