Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Interesting thought about 3M fluid.

(5 posts)
  1. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 27 2011 19:16:38
    #

Login to Send PM

My imagination got the best of me the other day as I was thinking back on a trade show I recently attended.

3M was showing off a special fluid, formerly called Fluorinert (I forgot the new name). It looked and felt like water, but it was non-conductive (safe to dip electronics in), evaporated fairly quickly, and could not "soak" objects. For example, a piece of paper could be dipped into it, and be pulled out crisp and dry. It was being marketed as a fire extinguisher fluid, since it produced tons of vapor that could douse a flame.

I asked if it can be boiled, and the man said this fluid boiled at about 180 degrees F (a guess, he wasn't sure), but different fluids boiled at different temps.

It would be cool if someone could come up with a system to get a giant heated tub of this stuff and spray it all over a bedroom for bedbug treatment.. If it didn't soak a dollar bill, I imagine it wouldn't damage carpet or mattresses.... and since its a fluid, it would have time to drip down in cracks before it evaporated. The product isn't widely available yet, and probably costs a good bit of money, but think how much easier it would be to spray hot water on a mattress than to steam it, or spray hot fluid all over a wooden, porous floor or thick carpet without damaging it, all while cooking bedbugs!

Is there any fluid that already is comparable to this? I can't think of one...

I sit around thinking of new ways to kill bedbugs... isn't that sad? Luckily, I don't have them, but I'm hoping that someday someone will come up with a cure. Just throwing ideas out there for now.

-blargg

2. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 28 2011 6:00:27
    #

Login to Send PM

One of my best friends works at 3M. I'll forward your idea, as I think it's very intriguing.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 28 2011 8:22:12
    #

Login to Send PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That fluid isn't cheap and evaporates rapidly.

Distilled water is an insulator. It is the minerals and items picked up by water that make it have electrical properties. What would stop that fluid from doing the same?

Saw info on that fluid ages ago. Freaky seeing a TV running immersed in a tank.

Jim

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 28 2011 10:25:47
    #

Login to Send PM

A couple of other potential difficulties according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorinert which sound, regrettably, like definitive showbusters right out of the gate:

Toxicity

Fluorinert may be harmful if inhaled and care should be taken to avoid contact with eyes and skin. ... Use should be constrained to closed systems and reduced volumes as fluorinated oils have a very high global warming potential and a long atmospheric lifetime.

5. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 28 2011 18:55:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually, fluorinert stopped being made by 3m because of the ozone concerns and whatnot. This is a new, updated fluid. At the show, he actually dipped his hand in it and splashed some on the table. It did not evaporate that fast, maybe 20 seconds??? And the vapors... I'm not sure about that. I got to see a demo where the vapors were used to extinguish a flame, and nobody was affected by/worried about the vapors.

The price will come down eventually, like all things. But heck, it's worth researching.
    Let me know what your friend at 3m says.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714