Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Inspection and bite questions (expert advice needed)

(8 posts)
  1. Xtra_nope

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 13:18:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello—
    If anyone could help and reply that would be greatly appreciated.
    I work with clothing. I had come home from a day at work (where I had been working and sitting for several hours) bringing a few things with me (I had tried on) and a bag. Soon after getting home, I started noticing a bite on the inside of my right arm, that itched, and upon scratching, stopped itching but started hurting and “spread” out a bit. I followed by putting everything in double plastic bags, and vacuumed. The next day and a half later I woke up with four or five more bites on/along my body that appeared throughout the day. ( I would like to add that I have dealt with this issue previously at a less than desirable apartment and I had no from a few years ago, that I had dealt with successfully in that I moved “clean.” My body reacted horrible to the bites, with the bitten areas swelling terribly and non-stop itching to the point I was going through a lot of children’s Benadry.. I am adding this because my body is not reacting in the same way—these bites start small, itch, and then hurt, itching less and slightly spread or, but nothing like unbearable golf ball size lumps I had before).

The first night I slept on my sofa and stayed sleeping there the next few nights so as not to spread anything. Yesterday and last night I thoroughly checked it to the best of my ability, going edge to edge inside and out with an LED flashlight and a roll of packing tape. I found no smears, no casings, no fecal matter, and no insects/dots of that nature of any size anywhere I was able to pull apart and look. Nor did I see anything along any cracks or edges nearby. It is summer and, though I live in a city, I have also been outside a lot lately, so, could it be a reaction or delayed reaction to something else? (Two or three of these are in groups of two).

My question regarding this is, couldn’t have been from work? I work with secondhand clothing, and I was wondering if where I work, a recently moved-into location, could have had something in the clothing, or that the building housing the clothing could have the issue where I got bit and had a delayed reaction? I knew someone who did have them on in their apartment about 3-4 years ago which I helped clean at the end and though I threw out my cleaning clothes I found bites appearing in though I did not have bbs at the place I myself lived. After a few days they stopped appearing. Could these be a delayed reaction? Should my boss get the place of work/storage checked?

This leads me to part two (apologies for the length, wanted to give as much detail as possible as I am freaking out a little)—

The final load of drying that I did was the clothing I had from work. Obviously secondhand/older clothing you can get stained/rust stains, but when I had dried all these, there was one particular spot that looks very much like a smushed bb might that was also consistent throughout several items of clothes, like it had bled through if they had been stacked in that spot. As a precaution I triple bagged these out of the dryer.

The reason I was doing laundry at a friends was because when I went to the dryer in my apartment, after doing a load, noticed what looked like half a dead adult bb in the lint screen. The dryer and washer in my building are about 1-2 years old only, and as far as I know there has not been a major issue in that time since I have lived here. However, when I went to take out my trash yesterday I did notice someone’s bed frame was near the trash (either from my building or next door) which automatically makes me suspect. I don’t think it was necessarily from my load of laundry, and obviously was dead as it had gone through the dryer possibly more than once, but it still freaked me the heck out. I also saw, in lint that had been there a while, something bb-ish but was hard to identify.

The building management immediately had an inspector out today but, he did a list of the road job of looking than I did on my own. He basically said because there are no stains or signs of any bbs that he could tell (from using his iPhone light) tha I was “clear.” He said not to worry about the laundry room because if that’s what it was in the dryer it was dead. 🙄. Again I very much don’t think he did a a decent job at all, but I am a freelancer and student in-between jobs and live in a building with management that work with a company/companies to clean for pests/bbs so I don’t know how much say I have or what else I can do. I am now scared of my laundry room. 😞

I still have not recovered from the horrible overhaul and moving I had to go through two years ago, to the point that I avoid going to parties, I avoid bumping into people when I can, I avoid sitting on public transportation or in shared/public spaces with fabric seating, I even have avoided taking the bus all summer due to severe fear (I saw one rider back in May with a possible bb crawling on him, got off, called the bus company, and spent $45 on Uber to and from my next location because of that).

Unless you’ve gone through it, I find people don’t really take you seriously about how paranoid it can make you. My anxiety and OCD tendenvies have gotten so much worse—it’s exhausting, and I hope and pray that I am not going to have to go through that again. I don’t think that the inspector is going to clean the laundry room and, again, did a less than great job, imo, doing a check on my place alone.

What should I do? I have rent payment coming up, and I don’t know if I should hold off or put it in escrow if they do not properly get a chemical or heat treatment in the laundry room at least, as I am not trusting the laundry room nor their hired pest company.

Any advice would be great. I am anxious to the point of on-and-off crying and being physically ill yesterday. I have quite a bit of things and not a lot of money to be able to outsource or clean any/everything either.
    Thank you for reading through this!
    I’d also like to say thank you to the people running this, and a friend b of mine HIGHLY recommended this forum/site and David (djames1921)’s tools for monitoring/eradication as well as his advice.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 14:30:55
    #

Login to Send PM

So you've found no evidence, and your reactions are quite different from what you've previously experienced. Why is it that you suspect bed bugs?

3. Xtra_nope

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 15:54:32
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 hour ago  » 
    So you've found no evidence, and your reactions are quite different from what you've previously experienced. Why is it that you suspect bed bugs?

Due to the fact that I do have bites appearing suddenly all over my body and I live in both an apartment complex in a city and what I found in the dryer. Obviously a big part of bb aftermath is the mental stress, but I immediately jumped to this after coming home from work with bites of some sort on my body.

4. Xtra_nope

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jul 29 2019 15:55:41
    #

Login to Send PM

They are similar enough that it has caused me to panic.

5. Xtra_nope

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 9:36:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Could it be possible I had gotten bit at work? If anyone sees this please
    Let me know. I wanted to let my boss know if this is the case.

6. Georgieee

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jul 31 2019 22:14:25
    #

Login to Send PM

It's certainly possible you got bitten at work, it's not unheard of bb's being found in second hand clothing. I wouldn't bring it up with work though unless you actually had some evidence other then bites. Especially as you think your being exposed in your apartment building as well. I don't think you can demand a treatment in the laundry room just because you think you might have found a dead one in the dryer. Even if it was one it doesn't mean the laundry room is infested. It sounds like your in a heightened state of panic and I completely sympathise with you. I have been in a similar state on and off for the past year dealing with these monsters. The mental toll it takes is horrible and most people just don't understand. I hope it's just all a scare and nothing bed bug related!

7. Xtra_nope

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Aug 1 2019 6:09:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Georgieee - 7 hours ago  » 
    It's certainly possible you got bitten at work, it's not unheard of bb's being found in second hand clothing. I wouldn't bring it up with work though unless you actually had some evidence other then bites. Especially as you think your being exposed in your apartment building as well. I don't think you can demand a treatment in the laundry room just because you think you might have found a dead one in the dryer. Even if it was one it doesn't mean the laundry room is infested. It sounds like your in a heightened state of panic and I completely sympathise with you. I have been in a similar state on and off for the past year dealing with these monsters. The mental toll it takes is horrible and most people just don't understand. I hope it's just all a scare and nothing bed bug related!

Thank you! My place of work’s storage is also where someone lives so I did bring it up to my boss as a just in case as her place is attached to another.

8. Xtra_nope

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Aug 1 2019 6:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Georgieee - 7 hours ago  » 

I hope so as well! I’d also like to add that I believe what I found in the dryer lint catch was in possibly part of a dead beetle (a small dark type with two white spots on its back) as to a bb that I think died there or in laundry.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325