Insect ID request

(16 posts)
  1. Asiana

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Dec 9 2018 17:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Please, I really need to identify those insects. It’s driving me crazy!

About one month and a half I first saw one of those. I squished it and it had blood inside. Since then I keep on finding those tiny insects in the bedroom which located in mezzanine. Mostly on the bed and on the floor. It’s definitely sucking blood and the reaction looks like mosquito bites, but there are no mosquitoes now. I’ve never seen real bed bugs so I thought it could be them. But after research I’m not sure anymore.
    I’ve tried to find some evidence of bed bugs presence, but I couldn’t find anything. Only those tiny bugs which are size of poppy seed or even smaller. It’s about 1mm or smaller and, as I read, 1st instar of bedbug suppose to be 1.5mm. I caught few and tried to make some pictures. So I hope it will help to identify them.

Can it be some kind of mites? Or is it bedbugs nymphs (I really hope not)? If it’s not bedbugs, then where are they coming from?

I live in France if it can help with identification.

Many photos

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Dec 9 2018 17:26:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bed bugs, they are mites but I am not sure what type.

There is information about them and how to deal with issues here:

https://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bird-mites/

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Dec 9 2018 20:14:28
    #

Login to Send PM

you The mites could be bird or rodent mites. It's difficult to say from those pictures.
    David: in your linked PDF, why don't you mention anything about rodent mites instead of just talking about parasitic bird mites?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Dec 10 2018 5:55:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

Good question, it had me thinking for a while but I can only conclude that having not encountered any other species of mite in the last 15 years that they do not appear to be an issue in the UK. In fact apart from one case of red poultry mites associated with pigeons in London the rest have all been Northern fowl mites.

If I do find any others or an indication of others I will create a directory for mites and list bird and others in there although they are the one issue that leaves me feeling like I want to take a bath in sheep dip (I don't even like thinking about them to be honest).

David

5. Asiana

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Dec 10 2018 10:59:23
    #

Login to Send PM

David, Lou thank you both!

Honestly I think it’s bird mites as the bedroom where I found them located just under the roof in mezzanine. And our roof is old - it’s covered with ceramic tiles which need to be replaced the sooner the better. Also there is no isolation in the attic.. I’ve seen some pigeons on the roof, but they do not have nest inside the attic, but I’ll ask my husband to check. Some houses around have swallows nests but on our house there are none.
    There are no rodents in our house.

I hope I’ll find the solution to get rid off those mites..

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Dec 10 2018 11:12:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a note on roofing with tile; if you're looking to replace it's best to stick with tile, even though the cost is much higher. It's a problem here in Florida when tile is replaced with shingles, the insulation value of the tile is much greater than shingles, and changing the roofing material can have adverse effects on your HVAC unit.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Dec 10 2018 11:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Asiana - 20 minutes ago  » 
    David, Lou thank you both!
    Honestly I think it’s bird mites as the bedroom where I found them located just under the roof in mezzanine. And our roof is old - it’s covered with ceramic tiles which need to be replaced the sooner the better. Also there is no isolation in the attic.. I’ve seen some pigeons on the roof, but they do not have nest inside the attic, but I’ll ask my husband to check. Some houses around have swallows nests but on our house there are none.
    There are no rodents in our house.
    I hope I’ll find the solution to get rid off those mites..

I had an issue with a person (pest control company called me in) who had mites and were on the roof, had an access door to the roof, a sort of patio. Pigeons up there. They were being bitten in the dining room which, of course, was adjacent to the kitchen wall. Door to roof also in the dining room. I collected mites that were crawling up the adjacent wall with the kitchen. I found some crawling up under the molding. The person had a little desk here.
    Mites were not bird mites, but were rodent mites. Went downstairs and the first floor had a grocery store, and not good pest control. Found some mouse droppings. A day later, the people saw a mouse in the kitchen. Further examination disclosed hidden rodent entry.
    So the moral of the story is you can't judge (ID) a mite by what might be an obvious host. Identification of the mite is important.

David: There has to be rodent mites in London -- mice and rats are an issue, right?

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Dec 10 2018 11:35:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

Yes we have significant rodent issues like all countries and major cities but I am yet o see a case where the issue was confirmed as rodent mites or even solved by the assumption its rodent mites. In fact I cant even recall them being mentioned during my training or having read anything about them being present in the UK.

Given the global commerce and how rats can spread it does seem odd but non the less its a fact I am pleased with.

David

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Dec 10 2018 11:38:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Asiana,

Try and trace the source of the issue because you need to start with the primary location and work back as the full path of movement needs to be treated, often this can be an inside and outside access issue.

I know DE is popular with the chicken communities as the treatment option of choice and it should offer some residual protection after the initial knock down.

David

10. Asiana

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Dec 11 2018 3:03:33
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 15 hours ago  » 
    Just a note on roofing with tile

Oh, here in France there are strict laws about all house renovations. So even if we would like to change roof tiles to some modern material they will not allow us to do so.. We can only change to the same regional tiles or other ceramic tiles which will not change the look of the city. Plus our house is 150 years old, almost historical, so modern roof will not match

11. Asiana

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Dec 11 2018 3:31:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

It’s been 2 years since we moved in this house and we didn’t see any rodent droppings at all. We have a cat which loves to hunt everything what moves. She proudly brings us all creatures which she caught - huge spiders, flies, centipedes etc. I’m sure if there was mice we would already see it. Though I’m not sure she would beat a rat.. We don’t store any food downstairs, the kitchen is on the second floor and on the mezzanine it’s only bedrooms and a bathroom. No food. The closest grocery store is 100 meters away..
    I’m trying to find entomologist here to who I can send a sample of those mites before calling pest control. Pest control professionals here are not good on identifying insects and they charge crazy for their work.. So it’s better to find out myself what kind of mites I’m dealing with.

12. Asiana

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Dec 11 2018 3:34:57
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 15 hours ago  » 
    Hi Asiana,
    Try and trace the source of the issue because you need to start with the primary location and work back as the full path of movement needs to be treated, often this can be an inside and outside access issue.
    I know DE is popular with the chicken communities as the treatment option of choice and it should offer some residual protection after the initial knock down.
    David

Yes, I’ll try to trace the source. And I was already thinking to buy DE as I’ve heard it could help with the issue.. Thank you for the advice!

13. Asiana

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Dec 11 2018 10:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David and Lou,

Today some of mites which I caught died, so I could make better pictures as they stay still. Can you have a look again please?

More clear photos

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Dec 12 2018 7:04:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Asiana - 20 hours ago  » 
    Hi David and Lou,
    Today some of mites which I caught died, so I could make better pictures as they stay still. Can you have a look again please?

Can't tell from pictures which mite it is because need to see under a microscope. Have to see the sclerotized shields and setae. Has to be slide mounted and cleared. It looks like either a bird or rodent mite.

15. Asiana

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Dec 12 2018 7:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,
    Thank you!

I always wanted to own microscope. Now I know what to ask from my husband as a Christmas gift. Heheh

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Dec 12 2018 10:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry, still not enough detail.

However, the fact that we are talking low numbers as opposed to (100's-1'000's) is good. It may be an indicators that you have unwanted guests as a result of a visitor as opposed to an unwanted house guest. I.e a bird that has breached and moved on leaving a few mites rather than a nest that has been the home and focus to the issue.

My first bird mite encounter was in the 5,000 - 10,000 mite level and it was like a sea of moving dots in a line between the head end of the bed and the bathroom vent where they were ingressing. A few floors up was able to lean out over the edge of the building and see a nest containing a carcass close to where they were getting in.

I suspect that without that original food source and habitat the mites would not have repeated the path as it is often said that secondary food sources are not ideal. I suspect in part because avian blood is so different to human.

Equally, the location of the mites may help to narrow down the primary host, where in the room were they found?

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,309 posts in 47,660 topics over 147 months by 21,008 of 21,332 members. Latest: jormungund, matters1776, Prim1102