'insane' organization tips for the bedbug aware

(7 posts)
  1. poorBugger

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 12:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

this caught my attention this morning:

ways to utilize the 'dead' spaces in your home to organize and store your stuff...

examples: place your oversized artwork, visual aids, papers etc between two pieces of cardboard and slide it under the couch or rugs, or slide it behind the couch or piano...store your quilts and blankets between your matress and box springs during the summer...

there was more, but my strenuous attempts at keeping my feelings of mass hysteria and maniacal laughter in check proved distracting, so i missed the rest :)...

so i had to log on and share...the piece should have been titled 'ideal ways to profide harborage and safe havens for your bedbug population'...i'm being sarcastic here...

and i gotta laugh, cause my former self woulda done some of that stuff, but not now...i mean, my goodness!...if you're so desparate for storage space, that you have to use these out-of-the-way places to contain your stuff, it's time for a pitch-fest!...

my new reality...rather sparse :)...sigh...my mom says 'get the bugs gone, then get over it'...so i can use the pillow shams she has in mind for me :)...ack!...in all my almost 44 years, i've never used a pillow sham...and i'm supposed to do this NOW?!...yeah, maybe to line the bottom of my garbage can for a week!...:)

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 12:54:00
    #

Login to Send PM

So true. Those wooden captain's beds with all their storage the drawers built under the bed? Bedbug heaven. Under-bed storage containers for winter things? Bedbug heaven. Bookshelf headboards built into the wall around the head of the bed? Bedbug heaven.

No wonder the new styles of decoration in the Eastern cities design studios are favoring the lean, mean, minimalist and airy--chrome and glass and metal rule.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 14:22:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes--current design trends. I see the showcases of the fancy furniture stores, and think "where do you put the clutter"? The answer is, you don't.

Mind you, Roche B0bois in NYC has a living room that is all 3 ft by 3 ft cushions on the floor.
    Roche Bobois

(Does it come with a massive freezer for de-bed-bugging your cushions?) Some contemporary design trends are not bed bug friendly.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Oct 16 2007 15:21:42
    #

Login to Send PM

In the military the cots were metal and the procedure was not to let your sheets touch the floor. I now know why.

5. Margaret

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 5:16:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Space-efficient design and multi-use furniture was also useful in Eastern Europe and the (now former) Soviet Union. Our sofabed here in St Petersburg is essentially based on a wooden box (bedbug heaven--this is the only place in the apt we've seen them). The seat of the sofa is a board with an upholstered foam cushion, and the back of the sofa is the same thing. You slide the seat forward (sliding the lid off the box) so that it rests on the edge of the box and its two little legs, and then hinge the back of the sofa down to make a really comfortable queen-sized bed. There's absolutely no way to isolate it.

I was actually thinking of looking for something like this when I get back to NYC next year (but not in brown plaid). I think I'll go for a metal frame, instead!

6. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 9:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, guess what? I have a captains bed frame, have turned it over several times, and sprayed alcohol, steamed, filled spaces. It is going out very soon. went to look for a futon yesterday that has a metal frame, I think it should be easy to isolate. Have ordered a special mattress cover for BB. My supplier tells me might be a few weeks, as they are selling like hotcakes.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 4 2007 15:05:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bites,

I used to have futons and the mattresses were the same size as my current "normal" mattress. So wouldn't a normal bed bug encasement work? Or is there something different about the futon bed bug cover. I ask, because the cloth and zippers of the covers most of us use are tested to withstand bed bugs. I'd be wary if your supplier can't provide such data.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,181 posts in 50,133 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92