Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Input solicited on updating monitor FAQ; DIY interceptor monitors from U Florida

(4 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 28 2014 16:00:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Two posts in one here:

First, the University of Florida folks have produced a how-to video on making homemade interceptor monitors. You can view the video and see my comments about it here. If you have comments, please leave them ON THAT POST, rather than below. That keeps the conversation in one place and avoids mixing it with what I am about to describe.

Also, since I had to add that to the monitor FAQ, I decided it was a good time for more updates to the information in the FAQ.

I have added pro/con lists for each monitor described, which include:

• Interceptors (ClimbUps, BlackOut/LightsOut, homemade)
    • Passives (BBAlert/Packtite Passive)
    • Dry ice monitor (homemade)
    • Bed Bug Beacon

I welcome your input on improving the FAQ, including:
    • Additions to/corrections to/more specific details for pro/con lists
    • Additional information
    • More monitors and what we need to know about them (eg if you can tell me what to say about the Nightwatch, I will say it)
    • Expert opinions on the various monitors, if you want to be quoted
    • User experiences -- particularly if the monitor in question detected the presence of your bed bugs -- images very much welcomed, and you can embed them or email me with those if you like.

Please note you should read the latest update to the FAQ before responding, and that I do not promise to include everything submitted below.

I am trying to keep this balanced and fair. Factual information and links to documentation for any claims made is welcome and I may include it in the FAQ if appropriate.

Responding below is preferred. I realize that people may get a bit heated but I hope we can treat each other in a respectful manner, and keep the discussion centered around facts which can be documented. If you do respond below, it allows others to see where ideas originate, and may lead to a more fair and balanced report in the end.

You can email me if you prefer. However, you should be really, really clear about whether your comments can be quoted/paraphrased and attributed to you or not. Please don't PM me about this or other important issues (I can't save or archive PMs.)

Many, many thanks for your input!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed May 28 2014 18:17:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I just skimmed it. Couple of things:

1. When I tried to use the link for the PCT April issue...it didn't work...may be my computer.

2. It may just be me, but I found the Active Monitor discussion a little confusing. Does anyone else thing it might be good to have the pros and cons of active montiors under the first section (Active Monitors) vs. just under Dry Ice, Bed Bug Beacon, etc. In the first two paragraphs (under Active Monitor), it wasn't clear to me that you shouldn't use Active and Passive Monitors together in an occupied room (which some people ask about). It was clear under Bed Bug Beacon that it works best in unoccupied areas. As a FYI, I thought the part about interceptors working well in unoccupied areas interesting. I may need to go back but the CO2 may not be safe if you or a pet are in the room while it works, right? It says you should know how to handle it safely, but maybe you can go further and state that there are risks to using it in a room with pets and children (vs. just safe handling)? Again, probably just me..

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 9:29:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi TAOT,
    Many thanks for the input!

Re: 1: yeah, PCT has a horrible habit of moving and not redirecting their article links. Will try and fix that.

Re: 2: I see the pros and cons could be deployed more consistently with active monitors. For example, there's one issue (works better in unoccupied rooms) that's a pro on the Beacon and a con on dry ice!

Also per your note re: dry ice: the FAQ says

You need to know how to handle dry ice safely, and that everyone in your home (including children, pets, and so on) will be able to be around it safely.

Does that suffice as warning?

My understanding is it is safe for humans to be around and breathe in presence the dry ice as long as they know how to handle it. The issue with children/pets/people with cognitive challenges, etc. arises with their mishandling it.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu May 29 2014 9:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all you do Nobugs....

Let's see...I'm sleep deprived and well "me"....I may need a stronger warning that it can have dangerous short term effects and/or long term effects. I read the warning, and thought...what if I were sleep deprived?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956