Input on avoiding spreading them?

(2 posts)
  1. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 21:42:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Ever since I found out I was infested, I've been absolutely paranoid that I'm going to spread them to others. Here are some of the steps I've been taking, I would appreciate input and other tips :S

Laundry
    Washed all of my clothes before the PCO came, then stored them in garbage bags in the bathtub. After the treatment, I bought giant Ziplocs, and folded and bagged them outside, then put the filled ziplocs in the dresser. Clothes are never permitted to touch the floor, dirty clothes are put into other ziplocs hanging on hangers in the bedroom closet. These bags are carried to the laundry room in my building and also never touch the floor. Laundry is folded in the laundry room and carried back in a different bag that hangs in the hall closet when not in use. Linens are also stored in Ziplocs in the closet.

Leaving the Apartment
    I have a large number of tops, but not that many pairs of pants, so I can't put on a fresh pair every time I leave the apartment. I have a pair of "apartment pants" I use for fiddling in the apartment, and an active set of "not-apartment pants" that I put on before I leave. I can always put on a fresh shirt. When these are not being worn, they are hanging on a hanger in the closet. The same goes for my PJs.
    I live close enough to walk to work, and for the first week, that's what I was doing. But the week before I discovered the infestation, I had an important project, which means I was driving, and thus may have spread the infestation. Since then, I've still been driving so that my car gets exposed to direct sunlight and heats up (my home parking spot is shaded until the evening). This worries me. I have placed a giant ziploc in my car for the transportation of clean materials. It stays zipped.

Backpack
    I need to bring my laptop with me to work. It's a brand new macbook pro, and does not appear to be infested (I've been vacuuming the keys when I do my bi-weekly vacuuming, and don't have any bites on my hands or wrists). It stays on top of my desk, but it has been on the coffee table. As for the backpack, the PCO treated it, and yesterday I ran it and the laptop sleeve through the dryer. When not in use they are stored in another ziploc hanging in the hall closet.

Shoes
    When I'm not walking long distances, I wear my Crocs, cause they're easy to clean and shake out. My walking shoes and runners have been run through the dryer and are stored in plastic bags on the top shelf of the hall closet when not in use. When I want to wear them, I leave the building barefoot and put them on with fresh socks outside.

Visiting
    Same protocol as leaving the apartment. If I am staying overnight, EVERYTHING is put into individual Ziploc freezer bags and put in a larger bag.

That's a basic summary. Any suggestions?

2. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Aug 5 2010 21:43:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Realized after I hit post that I forgot to choose a proper forum for it. Sorry! I don't know how to fix it ^_^'

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,661 posts in 50,010 topics over 154 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me