Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Infesting my boyfriend's BRAND NEW HOUSE? HELP!

(13 posts)
  1. Luvbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 17 2015 13:12:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I apologize in advance for this lengthy post, but I'm a writer so I'll try and make this as entertaining as possible. I'll even highlight the bullet points. Let's start at the beginning.

I moved into a shady apartment, accepted a hand-me-down mattress from my aunt, and POOF-- I had a full-blown bed bug infestation about three months later. Bites, sinus reaction, depression, and a very visible bed bug motel built in my mattress... the whole nine yards. We had our apartment treated three times, got bed covers, the usual. My entire apartment building even got treated. After about a year, no bites and no signs of bugs. I inspect my apartment regularly and haven't seen anything. I'm not naïve and I know that doesn't mean I'm in the clear, but I stupidly let my guard down. After living in fear for so long, it was nice to not have an anxiety attack every day. I finally allowed my boyfriend to sleep over and I brought my items to his house with no second thoughts.

Now, I am about to move out of my apartment into my boyfriend's brand new home. I was so excited about the move until last night. I was over his home and heard a concerned "Babbbbbbeeee...." from the basement.... He discovered a bed bug in the dryer lint. I am not 100% positive because it was a bit squished, but with my experience I have a feeling that I'm correct. He finally admitted that he has seen a few similar bugs in his office over the past few days.

Now I feel like I might as well wear a bubble suit, dump my boyfriend & become and nun, and set all of my items ablaze. We have already been sleeping at each other's places for the past year and a half (he just moved into this new home, however, about two weeks ago). I feel like both places are already hopeless and there's no way to fight it. So, my question is:

NOW WHAT?
    Before this, I had already planned on throwing out any previously infected furniture (we don't need it) and bringing all of my clothes directly to the dryer for decontamination.

Should I call an exterminator even though it seems they will have to come back again?
    How do I even go about packing properly? Clothes are easy but all of my other items have to come along too and it seems that heating boxes are really expensive.

Thank you in advance for any help. I'm really at my peak anxiety at this moment
    ANY SUGGESTIONS OR JUST GENERAL REMARKS OF SYMPATHY WILL KEEP ME FROM INEVITABLE INSANITY.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 17 2015 13:36:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Post pics of what you and your boyfriend have found. It's entirely possible that the one in the dryer was already dead when introduced to his house and was just stuck to an article of clothing.

3. Luvbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 17 2015 13:46:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm loving your optimism.. I didn't take a picture when I was there last night (too overwhelmed) but I told him to collect whatever he finds and I will take pictures then.

The ones he saw in his office were alive and the reason I am concerned over the dryer lint bug is because he was washing his sheets at that time. Plus I've definitely seen my fair share of bed bugs in person

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 17 2015 13:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, but you're relying on his identification in his office, which is a possible but less than likely location for bed bugs.

5. Luvbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 17 2015 14:10:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought that was weird, too. But when I had my infestation, I had seen a few of them crawling on the wall and also just wandering about my bathroom floor in broad daylight.

The bug in the dryer lint is the one I saw and I'm pretty confident. Should my first step be to set up passive detectors you think? Any ideas on what works best? I had built a CO2 yeast detector for my apartment about a month ago and didn't catch anything except fruit flies and other creatures.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 17 2015 17:53:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Luvbug,

You said you had bed bugs, were clear for a year, and then your boyfriend started sleeping over and you've been going back and forth to one another's homes for a year and a half.

Is that correct?

If so, your own bed bug situation was 2.5 years ago?

I am just trying to understand the background chronology.

It sounds like there might be bed bugs at his workplace, which does happen (and I agree with Big Dummy about getting an ID there), and it also sounds like he might have found one in his dryer because it was in clothing he wore to work (dead or alive).

I would not assume that your home or his new place are infested.

This is not simply optimism. It's a fact that when we suspect bed bugs we assume we have them. It's also common to assume a relationship between one bed bug problem and another-- when in your case, it sounds like that might not necessarily be so.

And then we also assume that one bed bug means a full-on infestation, whereas it really can start with one bug, and you are sometimes lucky enough to find that first one.

You need to verify he has bed bugs at work, and also verify whether they're in his new place and your old place.

If he has bed bugs at work, then he can take precautions to avoid spreading them. The Travel FAQs explain some methods which apply even at work. The Bed Bug Resources page has a section on avoiding bringing bed bugs home for people who work as home visitors, but again, substitute "infested office" for home, and the suggestions are very relevant.

Get photos of all bugs found for ID. Post them here for ID. Bed bug monitors might help you determine if there are bed bugs in each residence. (FAQ on bed bug monitors.)

At home, get photos of suspected fecal stains. You can post these here, though there are more experts who ID bugs than stains. Even better, consider getting some Bed Bug Blue or a presumptive blood test for testing dark marks you think are fecal stains. (FAQ on bed bug blue.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Luvbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2015 8:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I realized I had bed bugs in December of 2013 and from what I could tell my apartment was 100% bed bug free by the following Christmas. My boyfriend began sleeping over about May of 2014. Technically, I could have still had bed bugs at that time, but I was fairly certain we were in the clear and he knew of the situation.

He was living with his parents then and he has never had signs of bed bugs (either from me or from work as you suggested). He has been at the same work location for over a year and from what I know has never had any bites or reactions during work. I asked him last night, and he wasn’t sure if anyone else in the office has had bed bugs recently. What are the signs of bb’s at work? Same as always?

I will say it would be hard to go based off of him—he has bad chest and back acne that almost resemble bites and leave blood stains on the sheets. I will look into the Bed Bug Blue for that. From what I recall, bed bug stains/droppings are more of an inky black color then a reddish brown, correct? I also believe I would have reacted when I slept at his place had he had them. When my place was infested, I had a strong reaction to the bites with welts, itching, rash, allergies, and even some dizziness. It’s not possible to react to one infestation and not another, is it?

We again searched the bed and the office last night and came up with nothing, so I have no picture for you. But I can attest that the bug in the lint was 99% a bed bug (same shape and size as an adult, same dark coloring with the black stripes, etc.) We weren’t able to get to the store and get any interceptors, so I built a CO2 trap using yeast and sugar for the office. Has anyone had luck with these? Does the infestation have to be more serious in order for a sensor to work?

My main question is where else would the bed bugs be hiding? As I said, it’s a brand new home (dry wall and all) with brand new appliances. I would assume if there were bugs, they would be in the bedroom. I know I sound paranoid, but could it really be possible that, given my bb history, we have just the one or two stragglers?

I am going to re-inspect my place tonight and see if I can find anything. I haven’t been home much the past few days, but I have noticed these new patches where my ceiling meets my wall. They are black speckles and look like holes in the textured spackling of the ceiling. Bed bugs wouldn't have built little nests for themselves up there, would they? I honestly think it's mold. I took a picture but don't know how to upload it from my email to this forum.

I will say it’s worth noting that I just took a trip to visit my parents overnight a few weeks ago and I woke up with an itchy, bumpy rash on the same spot I did when my place had bb’s (I sleep on my stomach with my arms under my head, so my arm is always exposed). We looked at the mattress thoroughly and found nothing. She has also set up detectors so we will see about that.

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2015 9:49:46
    #

Login to Send PM

The only bug you've found at your boyfriend's house was dead in the dryer, so it's quite possible that it was dead when introduced and stuck to something. If you've found nothing so far that's a good sign. I would monitor the standard spots, mattress, bed spring and maybe the couch.

9. Luvbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 18 2015 9:55:25
    #

Login to Send PM

The couch is brand new and is leather...do they even like leather? Are bed bugs snobby and only prefer certain fabrics?

I agree that it could have been dead so I will refrain from freaking out for now but then the question is...where did it come from? And does that location have active bed bugs? That's what's bothering me, as it could be work, my apartment, my parent's house, etc.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2015 14:01:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs wouldn't have built little nests for themselves up there, would they?
    They don't really build anything. The harborage area could be more attractive is there are depressions, cracks, crevices, cloth, cardboard, fabric folds, within furniture, etc.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  11. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jun 21 2015 14:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK, past history with bed bugs and the usual vigilance/paranoia. Sort of been there, done that.

So you saw something in your boyfriend's lint dryer that looked like a bed bug BUT it was squished, so can't be sure. And your boyfriend saw little bugs running around the office that sort of looked like the bug in the lint filter IF YOU UNSQUISHED IT. So, I'd say on a scale of one to ten, where "10" is that you definitely have bed bugs and "1" is that you definitely don't, I'd say you're about a "2" or maybe a "3".

So the first thing you should do is try and absorb the fact that you probably don't have bed bugs and relax a little.

That said, inspection and monitoring would be prudent, given the current situation, past situation, and life in general these days. First thing I'd do is get your boyfriend to capture one of the bugs he's seen running around the last few days, and have the bug properly ID'd. Also setting up interceptor and/or harborage monitors at home isn't a bad idea whether you saw a bug or not.

Also read the FAQ's for inspection tips because if you have bed bugs there will be signs. If you don't have confidence in the above, or if your anxiety level irrationally climbs, a professional inspection with or without a dog team is always an option, but I would try get a sample first of what your boyfriend sees running around at work.

Richard

12. Luvbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2015 10:19:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou,

I worded that incorrectly. I meant more of "created a home" more so then "build". I was concerned because of exactly what you had said--there are cracks, crevices, and dips in the ceiling's design that have a black residue in them.

Richard,

Thank you. I know I need to relax a bit and I finally have. I think the possibility of having or spreading bed bugs paired with the fact that moving is stressful enough really sent me into a tizzy. We have been diligently monitoring for any signs, bites, etc. I am much more relaxed because I keep telling myself that I've been symptom free for about a year, so if it were really any sort of big problem I would know by now.

I am leaving a gently worn shirt folded near a bed post on the floor (especially to attract any on the days that I do not sleep at my apartment )and have been using that as a simple monitor. I had made a CO2 monitor with no captures. And as I pack, I have been inspecting every item and putting the ones that pass my inspection into an XL zip lock bag. I also throw away any boxes in the outside dumpster once I'm through with them. All laundry goes directly to the dryer to be zapped.

13. Luvbug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2015 10:20:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Also to note, there are no bed bugs at work from what we know. Neither of us had seen any and this wasn't our concern particularly.

When I had said office, I meant home office. I probably confused everyone, sorry!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991