Infested with bedbugs - but moving soon

(4 posts)
  1. Tesara

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 25 2011 3:55:23
    #

Login to Send PM

A good friend of mine was in a bad relationship, so I invited her to live with me and my roommate. She has two little girls, as well. It turns out that where she lived is terribly infested with bedbugs, and so she left all but the bare minimum of clothes behind, and washed everything and dried it for two hours on the highest setting before it ever saw the inside of my house. About a month later, her husband came for the weekend to visit the kids, and was absolutely careless and never checked or washed his things... and it didn't occur to me until two or three months after, when we were being eaten alive. My friend only had to see one to know what the problem was and we've been battling ever since... to the best of our ability, since the one holding the money is my roommate and he's worse than Scrooge with his money lately. So finally we chucked the furniture we knew was infested, and have bought sprays to keep them at bay at least for a bit...

My friend, her two kids and I have plans to move from here to Washington, and intend to bring a few outfits only, one or two blankets each (no pillows), and some stuff animals, all of which will be washed and dried for at LEAST an hour or two on high before going into the new house. Still... until a few months ago, bedbugs were a childs saying to me... and this reality is terrifying. I'm paranoid that even moving, I'll never be rid of them... Is there any other ways that I can bring my precious things (books, trinkets, plushies...) without having to fear the bedbugs hitching a ride and infesting my new home as well?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 25 2011 16:38:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Other things would need to be treated. One option is the Packtite. It costs about $309, but most people save more than that by not tossing things out. (You can read about Packtite here.). You could probably treat items at this end and carefully seal in an airtight manner, or seal carefully and treat at the other end.

A more expensive option is to have everything you're moving treated in a truck or pod with Vikane gas (some companies are also offering this service with heat instead of Vikane). This is expensive and is probably overkill in your case, but would be helpful for someone who had a lot of stuff, or larger items like furniture. Most people seem to do this en route, with their moving truck full and ready to go.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Tesara

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 26 2011 3:59:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Well... see... that's the thing... all the money I have for myself is wrapped up in the move (and I'm very poor to start with XD) so I can't afford to get expensive things - but waiting on the move is not an option, either. So I feel really helpless and stuck... Thinking about it today, I just broke down crying...

4. little bugger

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 26 2011 15:50:10
    #

Login to Send PM

A good move is to leave everything that can not be subjected to high heat for a duration.
    Keep clothing and wash at highest heat put them straight into plastic bags and store them outside of you infested home.

Dry cleaning chemical kills everything so you can dry clean fabric like curtains.

But my advice is to not take books, electronic equipment or furniture with you.

Start again.

But the fear of further infestation may always stay with you.

Items can be sealed in plastic bags such as sentimental belongings but do not open for two years or after a heat treatment, water or air.

Do not bring your vacuum cleaner with you that is a big carrier of bug eggs.

william

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,891 posts in 45,388 topics over 138 months by 19,944 of 20,703 members. Latest: minhnguyen3014, davebentonn, Therseld1931@armyspy.com