Infested, the book. Friday June 12, 2015

(5 posts)
  1. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 11 2015 12:00:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Tomorrow, Friday, if you're in Brooklyn or wish to travel there.........

http://brooklynbrainery.com/courses/infested-how-the-bed-bug-infiltrated-our-bedrooms-and-took-over-the-world
    Begins at 6:30PM - 8PM

I'll be there with more educational tools including a digital microscope and some live bed bugs.
    Regards,
    Lou Sorkin

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 13 2015 6:51:10
    #

Login to Send PM

There were around 30 people who attended. Good thing I brought the live bugs because education is sadly lacking. Different people often remarked, "I didn't know they were so small or I didn't know they were so big" when referring to the same specimen. It's one thing to have people search for infestations, but it's another to show them what they should be looking for. Verbal descriptions don't work and even pictures really don't help 100%.
    I use one vial of first instars, some fed, some unfed. Other vials contain mixtures of nymphs and adults, some with fresh graph paper with fresh waste deposition and other vials with older, heavily used papers to show eggs plus pale and dark waste buildup and shed skins. The digital microscope gives people a really crisp view to clearly show body parts and behavior. And a little wine supplied by the hosts didn't hurt, either. I even brought along some prepared mole crickets to taste.

3. RNinNYC

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 13 2015 9:38:08
    #

Login to Send PM

That sounds so interesting- I was busy last night but would've loved to attend. Will there be other opportunities in the NY area?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 13 2015 12:49:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure about Brooke's readings and book presentations; I have nothing planned for the very near future.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Jun 13 2015 13:24:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to her next book and can't gel but wonder if there will be a bedbug angle to it.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,669 posts in 49,314 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE