Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Infested Mattress Outside In Alley

(3 posts)
  1. persephone86

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 15:17:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Have been quiet on here for some time, just reading mostly, since my infestation 2.5 years ago as to not trigger my PTSD issues too much, but find myself in need of advice/calming of nerves. I moved 2 years ago after beating BBs in my old place.

In my new place, my dining room overlooks the alley and is on the second floor just above the dumpsters. Didn't know that until after I moved in. Always great for when furniture is tossed. UGH!. Anyway, noticed a mattress set was tossed about a week ago and of course it sat on the dumpsters underneath my window. "BEDBUGS!", my brain screamed. But again it wasn't in the best shape, so tried to convince myself that perhaps, someone simply treated themselves to a new mattress set. Then this morning, another mattress/box spring set was sitting half way down the alley of our complex. Of course it got moved later on down to the dumpsters. They were sitting near the bottom of my back stairs one floor down. I looked over my back rail and even from 15 feet in the air, I could see the tell tale fecal stains all over the mattress. Not covered, not wrapped. Just sitting there for all to walk by. I smell a large infestation for it to be that noticeable from my vantage point. The garbage man came for the dumpsters, knocked the mattress over and left it there flat on the ground and the box spring against the dumpsters. Lovely.

Now, after I had a panic attack and took a chill pill, I called the property management office and reported it just in case someone hadn't. They were aware of it and said a removal company was coming at some point to get it. I also asked about the building and what was going on and if there was a problem in the building. She said that management was currently getting someone out to investigate the unit where the mattress came from and the adjoining units, but didn't know much more at that point.

Luckily, my best friend used to work in the on site management office of my building and I was advised by her before I moved in that they contract with a reputable extermination company to handle any BB issues. No do it yourself janitor treatments. At least there's that.

Anyway, this a long winded story (needed to vent) for a question. What is the likelihood that these f**ckers will leave that mattress and travel up the wall or wooden back stairs into my unit via my back door or to or my neighbors? I am not worried too much about my windows over the area as the storms are down and everything is sealed up tight. The back walkway, however, also has has 3 steps down to the laundry room as well. Laundry room sits not beneath me, but beneath my neighbors who I share a living room wall with. I do know that if there is an infestation and someone brings them in on their laundry, they could possibly travel from there on up to my neighbors and feasibly to me or I could drag them in from the laundry room after doing the wash (though my boyfriend and I take precautions there always). But will they travel in there from the mattress? I am normally better at thinking my way through BB issues when my friends ask me questions, but I can't rationalize this properly as it is happening to me and I can't think straight. I keep picturing them with little GPS devices that have my name and location entered in. I just want that friggin' mattress gone!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jul 9 2012 23:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I will say this. I know of three cases where people panicked about just such a situation, but did not get bed bugs (after a long space of time) in such a situation. Not saying it can't happen. Your risk seems greatest if attached neighbors have them.

(And by the way, the fact that your landlord is inspecting the adjacent units to the one(s) which tossed out the items bodes well for successful treatment of anything that arises.)

If a really infested mattress was against your window, I might be concerned. However, it does not seem that these are definitely infested items. And if they are, it seems like the bed bugs would not go wandering very quickly.

Perhaps the experts can weigh in on how long bed bugs are likely to stay IN such a mattress, assuming they are there, vs. wandering in search of food. I suspect in most urban settings with frequent refuse pickups you'd have enough time for the items to be carted off before the bed bugs went looking for food.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. persephone86

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 15:23:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugs. I am definitely much more calm now and thinking about it more rationally. It was a heavily BB soiled mattress and boxspring, hence my freakout. These suckers are truly my Kryptonite. The infested unit is most likely several apartments over and as far as I know my neighbors are clean. And you are right. The management was pretty forthcoming when asked about it and seems to be taking proper steps in dealing with that unit. In addition, when I was coming home, I did notice that the removal service was there to remove them, but turned around and left it. Have a feeling he refused to move them until it was properly sealed as an hour later, the mattresses were completely wrapped in plastic and gone by yesterday morning. So, again good steps are being taken, which is all I can ask and appear to be luckier than renters who deal with blatantly lazy or inept management. And I have my encasements & passives in place and my PackTite, so I am more armed upfront than I was last time should anything arise.

And thanks again! I just worked myself up into a panic riddled tizzy and needed a sounding board/advice from a much clearer head than mine.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto