Infested Cello? PLEASE HELP!

(8 posts)
  1. David513

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 20:42:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in dire need of good advice. I have an expensive cello and my apartment definitely has bed bugs. I'm moving out soon and I don't want to bring the bed bugs with me, but I'm afraid they're inside my cello. I can't throw the cello out because I can't afford a new one.

Advice??

2. upagain

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 21:26:33
    #

Login to Send PM

If you can live with out it for about two weeks, you may want to try the hot shot no pest strips. You can do a search on them, there are many people here who have used them to get rid of bbs in hard to treat items. I am not sure about the residuals but it seems that after airing it out and wiping it down you should be good to go.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 21:42:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane is harmless to instruments and if done proper kills all BBs and eggs.

Thermal is not an option on an acoustic instrument.

Jim

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 21:49:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, David. We don't want to let the music die, either. I'd ask a PCO in which you have confidence regarding treatment. If that is not available, there are two options I'd consider and one I'd recommend against:

For:
    A. Vikane fumigation. Pricey but (done right) quick and deadly to bugs. Search the forum for info on this method.
    B. Bag securely with DDVP strip(s) or mothballs for a relatively short duration. Search the forums for info on these techniques, including regulatory and safety precautions.
    In either case, you will likely need a giant polyethylene bag (Google for them, it's amazing how big they come.

Against:
    Thermal. Done right, it's a quick, low toxic treatment. Done wrong, ie just a little too warm for your particular cello and you've ruined it.

Hit us with your questions. You'll find lots of support and wisdom here.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. David513

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Feb 22 2010 23:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so so much for your advice everyone! You guys are awesome!! I'll try my best to get them out.

6. David513

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 0:37:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all, I know it's been a couple YEARS since I started this thread but I wanted to follow up on what I did. I went with Vikane gas treatment. I received the treatment through a company named Standard Pest Management (I live in NYC). I prepared my items as instructed by the company, they came to pick them up on a Friday and the following Monday the items were dropped back off bed bug-free and in perfect condition!

7. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 6:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad to you did this! I've wondered what the affect was on your instrument and so have other musicians. Thank you!

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 7:21:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the follow up, it's always beneficial to hear the end of the story.

Have a great and bug free day ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs