Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Infestation at work and car

(8 posts)
  1. AZALIA DIGGS

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 12:12:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I have already determine that when I find a new place to stay I will have to leave everything I have in my current place behind. I know I infested my car, by unknownly bring purses and bags out of my home. I seen little dots on my desk at work. I spray with BedLam a spray the managers of my building gave me. That only kill live ones, not the eggs. What can I do to decontaminate my work area. If I can find a PCO to spray Vikane gas into my car. Which I hope I can. I still may re-infected myself at work. I can't gas my work environment. I have allot of people I see at my desk. I terrified that I will infect them.

Help!
    Azalia in Los Angeles

2. PaveIt

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 5:57:39
    #

Login to Send PM

>>I terrified that I will infect them.
    Me too.
    Tell your co-workers and your manager. Tell them they need to have a pro pest control person in to check things out. It's not your fault.

>>leave everything I have in my current place behind.
    That's how I got them. They person before me left an insect vampire ecosystem behind for me to discover. Please don't do that. Tell your landlord. Read the faqs. You may have legal rights to have the ll treat the home.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 12:19:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I know that it's hard to tell people about this. It *killed* to me tell my landlord, but I did it the day after I found the bugs by reminding myself that if I didn't, other people would probably suffer since these critters have to be treated by professionals.

Do keep in mind, unfortunately, that my experience in Los Angeles County is that the local health departments are not as well informed about this as they should be, and it appears that in LA county (I live in LA county but not the City of LA), it may be the tenant's responsibility to pay for treatment. This seems to be different from many other places in the US.

I understand your fears. I have spent a lot of mental energy trying to track down where this came from. I initially thought it might have been a hotel as I travel often, but I'm actually just as suspicious that I picked up a bug from contact at work, given how often I take items that have been in other peoples' homes home to my house to work on as part of my job. There's no way to know where they came from.

However, you're doing the right thing about being worried about contaminating others. Talk to people you know will be supportive (be prepared for some people to be as skeeved out as you are initially, but I found that by continuing to talk about it, everybody got past it). Hang in there.

4. AZALIA DIGGS

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 15:16:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you new bite and buggyinsocial. I went and talk to my coordinator regarding this. He going to contact building management regarding the problem so that they can monitor my work area. I felt they should move in to treat it instead. I will leave it up to them. I feel much better now that someone knows. Buggyinsocial, we contacted with LA county enviromental Health and I will also contact consumer affairs as well. One inspection took place and did not raise any eyebrows because most of the residence affect was not home. I call and gave the investigator new set of rooms and the best time to inspect. The killing thing about this infestation is the manager new for 1 year that there was a problem. One of tenant die, and very observance maintenance man inspected the room and saw sign of a Bed bug infestation. The owner was told but never seek the help of a PCO. Simply tried to handle it themselves. This problem is new to them and they where trying to treat it like you would a roach infestation. Their efforts spread the problem. I never new till now that bedbugs exist. Many do not know that it is important to contact a professional exterminator the moment you discover an infestation. The word needs to get out that they are alive and flourishing here in Los Angeles, and that when you know there is a problem you need to seek professional help immediately. Now they are trying to cover it up, which is disturbing. I will go into that in another post.

Thank you, and the makers of the website for educating us all. I will never be the same again after this experience. Also, there has to be some chemical company somewhere testing a DDT type product out there that is safe. I have not seen any posting yet regarding new research.

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 15:27:10
    #

Login to Send PM

When I had the PCOs come out to treat my apartment, the guy who put the chemicals down said that they are a problem in Los Angeles county and an even bigger problem in Las Vegas. Which surprised me, because when I first found this site I felt like everyone was from the east coast of the US/ the midwest, with a few Canadians thrown in. Over time, I learned that that wasn't the case at all.

I know it's hard given how skeeved out people get about the bugs--and given how many people still wrongly think that it's a hygeine/neatness issue--to talk in public about BB. I've come to understand, however, that until more people start doing it, the problems with BB are only going to get worse. That doesn't make it any easier to do, but I just keep reminding myself of that when it gets hard.

I'm sorry to hear that the problem was made worse by a manager who didn't know how to treat BB, but I'm not surprised. I seriously thought until I got an infestation that they didn't exist. I think a lot of people believed the hype that they were eradicated, so I think a lot of people don't recognize them at all, let alone know how to treat them effectively. I'm a geek who looks everything I don't know about up on the web, so I found this site the day after I first saw a bug, but I'd been getting bitten for a while before that--I just assumed it was fleas or mosquitos because I didn't know BB even existed.

I hope things get better at home and at work. I'm glad that you feel better now. It took me a while after telling other people to feel better, so I'm glad you had such a positive experience. Hang in there.

6. crawledon

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 20:09:28
    #

Login to Send PM

"I spray with BedLam a spray the managers of my building gave me. That only kill live ones, not the eggs."

Actually, I believe Bedlam is the best pesticde for eggs.

7. AZALIA DIGGS

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 13:58:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks crawledon for letting me know Bedlam has done some good. My problem is it has been 3 weeks since I discovered my infestation. 1 week since I slept in my bed where I woke up with black dots on gown and robe. I keep cloths in ziplock bags or heavy dutie trash bag seal. I will have to find larger one this weekend. I feel I am taking car not to take them to the car. However while shower and dry I feel like something scratched at my legs. Sprinkle DE power on the carpet where I think some of them are. Not feeling that so much anymore. Shoes are sprayed as well as my car everytime I entered. My problem is the owner has not treated any of the effective apartments with help of PCO. They have contract with one they come in spray for roachs etc. and leave. I need time to move, so I wrote a letter to the owner to have PCO come in and treat my apartment. Her maintenace staff offer to remove the carpet etc. I fear that I may have taken them to work. They laid traps and did not find any. Let hope that remains. The longer I am living where I am the more I am afraid I will slip and take them to work. I am so tired of worrying and sleeping in my car. I would not mind being human bate if I knew there was efforts to treat these. My owner does not care I was told when I left the letter in her office regarding get PCO. That she was on vacation until next week. I felt ill. I am even considering shelter I think my chances are better there. Let hope I can make my get away soon. I still plan to leave everything and discard the cloths on my back as well. I email Orkins to see about treating my car. The entomologist who works for building Managment said he did not feel they would not stay in my car. He was concern though that my apartment had not had PCO in to treat. The maintenance staff say they cannot see them. I see little dots everywhere. I think even thou they come from countries where this problem exist. They are look for fully grown bed bugs. Not the little dots of baby bed bugs. am not sleep well in the car, no bits though. Even though I think the neighbors cats have infested the parking structure with fleas. I am so tired of being frighten of this little insect. I want my life back. If the owner does not want the fight, I can't do it for her. I will be glad when I know I can leave. Let hope I can rid myself of this nightmare. I should have ran 1 year ago when I was first told of problem. However, I would have been like the neighbors I saw this weekend. 5 families move out taking the bug with them. No safety precautions, no treatment. Its scary.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 21:00:20
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal,

I think the New Yorkers are the most vocal group here, but most readers are from other places. Looking at the map of readers shows most are not east coast but from elsewhere.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,668 posts in 45,062 topics over 137 months by 19,786 of 20,520 members. Latest: jennm11, jes510, Jessica107