Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Independence from Bed Bugs Contest: Win a Packtite! (ends 7/9/2011 at 5 pm EST)

(52 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 2 2011 23:50:57
    #

Login to Send PM

This week, we're running an Independence from Bed Bugs contest on Bedbugger.com!

The lucky winner will get one Packtite. (You can read about Packtites here.)

Packtites are clever little machines for heat-treating your stuff, and while they won't make you independent from bed bugs all on their own, they are valuable tools in the fight.

Bedbugger Forums participant David James, creator of the Packtite (also known on the site under his handle djames1921) is generously donating the prize.

David wanted to do this for the Independence Day holiday, but we're running the contest all week so more of you will be able to see it and enter. Please read all the instructions below carefully.

I (site admin, nobugsonme) will select the winner using the random number generator at random.org, to avoid bias.

How to enter: leave a single comment in this thread. The first line in the post should be a number. The first person will write a "1", the second person to post will write a "2" and so on, chronologically.

Comments not starting with a number on the first line will not count as entries. Comments starting with random or non-chronological numbers will be deleted and will not count as entries. Please do not enter the contest more than once, or use multiple accounts to enter. (If this is detected, you'll be disqualified.)

After the number, you may hit the "return" key and write any other message you like (but please begin on a new line in the post, so others can easily see your number). You may also post other comments without numbers in addition to your one, single contest entry.

(Please keep discussion limited to the contest and any questions you may have. If you want to discuss the Packtite generally, or other topics, please do so in another forum thread.)

You need to register for the site and login in order to enter.

We can ship the prize to residents of USA only this time!
    Apologies to our readers in other countries.
    Packtites are not for sale elsewhere yet, unfortunately.*
    Contest void where prohibited by law.

The winner will be chosen randomly from entries received before 5pm EST on Saturday 7/9/2011. I (nobugsonme) will then email the winner at the email in his/her site profile.

If you win, you will have 48 hours from when this email is sent to respond to it, giving me permission to forward your email address to David James; you can then directly give him your name and address for shipping, and he will be responsible for providing and shipping your prize to you.

Warning: If you don’t respond within 48 hours, or your email address bounces back, I will use the same methods to choose an alternate winner. This actually happened last time we had a contest.**

We will announce the winner’s username, but David promises not to share your email, real name or address with anyone else except as needed for shipping purposes. (Obviously, please do not use your real name as your username).

I ask that you please do not enter the contest if you work in the pest management, pest detection, or pest product business. Please do not use multiple accounts to enter the contest. (It’s the honor system! Please be honorable!)

Disclaimer: we’re doing this for fun and we reserve the right to change anything if we have to – but be assured we really do want to give away this prize!

Many thanks to David James of Packtite (djames1921) for generously donating the prize!
    Please consider "friending" the Packtite on Facebook.

Good luck to everyone!

———————————————————————–
    * Note: if you are in Canada and want to enter and ship your prize to someone in the USA, this is totally acceptable!

**Please check now to make sure you have a working email address in your profile; in the forums, click “View Your Profile” in the right sidebar. Then click "Edit" in the profile (it's on the right, scroll down a bit.) If you change anything, be sure to save the changes.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. djames1921

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 0:05:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck everyone and have a great fourth of july!

3. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 1:25:54
    #

Login to Send PM

David when will you begin to offer a *white* or *light-colored* PackTite so we can see any bb's that might be crawling *on the outside* of it (or even, on the inside of it when it's not running) instead of black which gives them a great camouflage!

Are you looking into the possibility of offering a "lower-heat" setting for the PackTite, maybe by means of an alternate heater that could be placed in it to substitute for the current one at the user's option, which would allow users to treat electronics. It would max out its heat at whatever setting is just hot enough to reliably kill bb's if maintained for a few hours, maybe, say, 120 degrees F, without going to any higher temperatures, such as 135 or 140 degrees F, which kill bb's almost instantly but are likely to be too much for electronics to tolerate. The current version of the PackTite, if it's given a light load to heat, soon goes to around 135 or 140 degrees F whereas if I'm treating electronics I would want it never to go higher than, say, 120 degrees F. If you developed such a "lower-heat" Packtite, you could request donations of obsolete-but-still-working computers, laptops, iPhones, etc. to test it on. There are certainly lots of those around! After "lower-heat-PackTiting" a few hundred of those as a test and if they all still work, you'd have an optional add-on for your hit product to offer bb sufferers nationwide (and eventually worldwide)!

Do you have any plans for a *larger-size* PackTite such as, for instance, one that could enclose a bed or a couch or a desk or a regular-size chair and ordinary folks (including hotel/motel personnel, office workers, etc.) could run it from house current with no propane or etc. heaters being necessary and no participation of technicians.

How come you made the first T in the name capital as in "PackTite" as embroidered onto the outside of the product, but you yourself refer to it as the "Packtite" with both t's lower case?

4. marion10

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 4:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

2 Just a thank you- you have really made a difference in people's lives.

5. BarelyLiving2

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 7:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I would love to have one of these for when my husband comes home from business trips, or when we come home from family vacations! I don't ever want an infestation again.

6. katd78

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 8:02:05
    #

Login to Send PM

This would be great for my family since we are avid readers and have many books!

7. bbworry

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 9:21:37
    #

Login to Send PM

If we've been spared an infestation (knock wood), we'd love to have one of these for travel, overnight guests, and library books.

8. bedbugcrazydelusional

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 9:57:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David

9. CRossi11

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 10:38:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David!!

10. bugfreedreams

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 11:32:06
    #

Login to Send PM

We would really love to win one of these. We live in a huge apt complex and have bed bugs for the first time - just got treated - but apparently our neighbors have had them for a while and are pretty complacent!! Problem is that we own our place and can't afford to move. Packtite would make life so much easier. Thanks for the opportunity to win!

11. nymphsbelongingreekmyths

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 13:51:14
    #

Login to Send PM

First post here ever. This site has been a valuable resource. Thanks so much!

12. sadkitty

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 14:56:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been reading these posts for a while now, accumulating information. I started an account upon reading of this contest, as I desperately need a packtite. I am an artist, and cannot afford this device. I was on the verge of throwing out most of my books (and many other things), so winning a packtite would mean the world to me. Thanks for all the info, and for running this contest.

13. batting400

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 16:17:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for putting the site together. I hope I win!

14. BedBugBlogger

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 16:54:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in Canada. If I happen to win, I would like the product to be donated to a family or organization in need. At the discretion of the person/people responsible in holding this contest.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 18:00:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump

16. Louise

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 18:53:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad I'm not superstitious!!!

Thanks, David!

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 19:09:25
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc,

Nobugsonme - 19 hours ago  » 

After the number, you may hit the "return" key and write any other message you like (but please begin on a new line in the post, so others can easily see your number). You may also post other comments without numbers in addition to your one, single contest entry.

(Please keep discussion limited to the contest and any questions you may have. If you want to discuss the Packtite generally, or other topics, please do so in another forum thread.)

In other words, brief comments are fine but you have posted extensive questions and suggestions. Having David respond here will use up a lot of space. This thread is not a great place for that.

18. bugmesomuch

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 3 2011 23:13:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Having a PackTite give me a peace of mind so I won't spread BB to my families and friends.

Thanks David.

19. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 1:57:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Rolling the dice.

Jim

20. djames1921

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 10:18:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Remember, fireworks should NOT be treated in the packtite, good luck and have a great fourth today.

21. creepedinchi

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 11:52:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for being here. Gives me much needed sanity and help.

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 12:12:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Happy Fourth of July to everyone in the US!

23. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jul 4 2011 20:55:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah..to be 17yrs old again!! Crossing my fingers to give to family! Happy Birthday USA and to all that celebrate it!!

24. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 6:05:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to travel for work soon, and this Packtite would be sweeeeet.
    Thanks!

25. 10111

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 8:34:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a packtite already, so I am not going to enter into the contest, but just wanted to let David know how much I love mine!

26. djames1921

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 13:45:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the kind words about my product, and good luck to everyone entered in the contest.

27. nextdoortobugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 14:48:27
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be amazingly helpful for peace of mind!

28. lagirl31

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 18:51:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for the opportunity, David! We are hopefully at the tail end of our infestation, but would love to have a Packtite for ongoing prevention as we move forward. We just can't quite swing the cost right now, but it's always been our plan.

29. rAVENSFAN99

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 20:36:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for holding this contest.

30. Boxspring1212

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 20:57:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Having just finished up my last chemical spraying, I am living with piles of bags that are filled with clothes etc. that still need to be treated. Having a Packtite sure would be useful!

31. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 10:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump

32. djames1921

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 18:30:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Packtite will be given away to one lucky winner, tell your friends to enter! Unless you have already entered then your odds are better if you keep it to yourself ;).

33. BitnVA

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 19:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I am new to this life of thinking about bed bugs. UGH!!!

34. iashelton

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 20:41:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I would really love this, my apt is infested with bed bugs and the apt. complex knew that before me and my 3 kids moved in. We are working with a pest control company starting tomorrow, but since i thought it was fleas or other bugs i have infested my friends house. It is really nice of David to do this, and the chances to win something i really cant afford is great. Thanks for having this contest for a packtite!!!!

35. bedbugbetty

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 7 2011 0:43:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I have college kids living in dorms. This would give me great peace of mind when they are home to visit!

36. BuggyMomma

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 7 2011 7:10:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for thsi contest. I could really use this for baby and kids stuff that cannot be washed

37. scaredinqueens

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 7 2011 11:36:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh please, this would be just great!

38. ehe88

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 7 2011 12:14:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Fingers crossed!

39. MyWorstFear

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 7 2011 19:30:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hoping to be lucky! :))

40. futureBBmom

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jul 7 2011 21:26:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much David for the chance to try a Packtite. It is very much appreciated. Your Packtite is a life saver for all of us. If I haven't gotten rid of my bugs I would put everything I can in it so I don't take them with me when I move! If I have gotten rid of my bugs then I would use it daily before anything comes back into the house, to make sure I never get them again.

41. A_w1seman

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 5:30:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Its great you guys have contests, good luck everyone!

42. flippingoutalittle

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 13:18:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Saving to buy one anyway, lets hope this speeds it up.

43. welcome2mynitemared

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 15:13:22
    #

Login to Send PM

33!
    Thanks for this website...it's been so helpful! ( also made me even more scared/paranoid !) after detroying me bed and furniture and throwing away most of my belongings I definitely cannot afford a packtite! #time4someGOODluck!

44. ickybites

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 16:19:34
    #

Login to Send PM

34!
    This would help to cure my paranoia every time I travel!

45. Tasty

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 22:17:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Great site, thanks for all the info. and the opportunity to win a Packtite! Sounds like an awesome weapon.

46. Traumabugged

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 22:49:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for all the help through the years!

47. scared of bedbugs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2011 11:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

37 Fingers crossed. Thanks.

48. teach

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2011 12:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the chance to win a Packtite.

49. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 9 2011 16:24:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Contest closed! I will be back later with the winning number.
    I am temporarily closing the thread so no one will attempt to enter late.
    Good luck everyone!

50. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 10 2011 9:00:58
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg - 5 days ago  » 
    I have to travel for work soon, and this Packtite would be sweeeeet.
    Thanks!

Congratulations to blargg: the winning number drawn randomly was 18.

There's a screenshot of the drawing here.

blargg, please check your email -- you have 48 hours to respond to my message which should come shortly.

Congratulations again, and thanks to everyone who entered, and to David James for generously donating the prize!

51. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 10 2011 10:05:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 hour ago  » 
    There's a screenshot of the drawing here.

Dang, I thought it was going to be a photo of nobugs reaching into a drum, maybe with 38 little plastic numbered bb's in there!

52. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 10 2011 17:14:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice visual, jrbtnyc.

Just to follow-up, blargg has now responded to my email and I think it's safe to say, this contest is wrapped up.

Thanks again to all who entered, and to David, for the fabulous prize.

There will be another great contest coming up in the next few weeks, so stay tuned for information on that.

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956