(4 posts)
  1. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 21:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

hey folks,

So, I'm going to be on a major local news channel for my issue; they are coming to my home tomorrow. This is a major news network with their headline reporter. I am offering any thermal or vikane or environmental provider the chance to get massive publicity in upstate NY by offering to treat either my premises non toxically or my car with its belongings with a warranty, correctly. Our landlord cannot afford to treat our place, after a $5000 battle with a collapsed sewer line, and we cannot afford non toxic remedy either but it is needed owing to my health issues. There are currently no vikane providers in the area, and no thermal provider of note (there is one but it isn't their main schtick) so this could be good news for whoever wants in. I would also be willing to accept any donations on air of clothing and furniture to start over, but my vehicle now also likely needs treatment (just as a precaution). I am hoping that my story will help the city get its butt moving in regards to the issue. I wouldn't normally solicit help in exchange for publicity, as I'd want to make sure whoever I was helping to advertise treated all of their clients well, but we are on the verge of homelessness due to my intolerance to pesticides and DE.

I will be making sure to name the providers who have failed me, and the housing agency and department of health who did the same. They have had their chance to redress their error in a way that saves my home, and have not, out of pride probably. And we all know how that goes down in the Bible.

When it airs, I will let you all know and you can see for yourself my bites, and the pictures of bed bugs from the initial infestation, as well as the horrible way we have to live now with an air mattress/packtite and folding chairs, and our sweet pets who we may have to rehome.

Amy

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 23 2011 10:39:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Beth,

Not something I can help with as I'm UK based and in research rather than control. I'm just curious why you think you will be ok to have your house treated with vikane but not with the more conventional pyrethroid or carbamate based insecticides. It is a pretty nasty compound by all accounts and not that great for the environment either. Here is the relevant part of the wiki article on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfuryl_fluoride#Safety_considerations

I'm not saying that nobody should use vikane. It is pretty safe if used with the correct safety precautions. But don't be under the illusion that it is a completely not toxic, eco-friendly solution to bedbug control. If you are particularly sensitive to chemicals, it might be a long time before you can go back into the building.

3. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 23 2011 10:53:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

thanks for the info. Yes i understood vikane to be pretty nasty on the environment, but the benefit to me is I can be gone while the place is being treated. All of the other chemicals, I have to stick around for and don't generally work. Although since I have a place temporarily to stay, I am considering going this route but I just don't see it working as although there numbers are low, they are dispersed throughout the home thanks to my dog and bed isolation and I believe are in the walls.

Now that you mention it, after my car was vikaned, driving back the long 8 hour drive, I got mildly ill when we decided to sleep overnight in the car, and had to roll down the windows and keep going as I knew it was likely leftover fumigant. So, yes, I'd need to be gone quite awhile if my house were vikaned.

Amy

4. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 23 2011 13:35:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Tomorrow night, 5pm news. Anyone interested please pm me for the channel in Buffalo.

I am hoping I will also be able to post a link.

Amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,704 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323