Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

In need of some input...bites but no bugs?! very frustrated.

(7 posts)
  1. kristina92789

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 16:09:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Long story short: I moved out of a Bed Bug infested apartment about two months ago. I took the proper precautions, washed every article of clothing in hot water and dried on high heat and bagged them up. I disposed of every piece of furniture I owned, besides a dresser which was taken apart heavily sprayed down with rubbing alcohol and bed bug spray, etc etc...
    Anyway, I now own a sleeper sofa in my new house because I figured my best option was to buy something I could sleep on to get me by in the mean time while I try to figure out if by some strange twist of events, I had brought the bed bugs with me or not. I didn't want to go out and buy new things right away because if they had become infested I may or may not lose my mind lol.
    Now, though, I seem to be getting "bites." At least that's what I think they are. And I cannot find one single trace of any bed bugs anywhere. No bed bug sightings, no cast skins, no blood stains, no fecal matter, nothing. And I search with a capital SEARCH. Daily. With a flashlight. At all hours of the day/night. The bites seem to strictly be on my upper back and a few on my chest. I do feel itchy when I'm laying in bed at night, but I really can't tell if it's psychosomatic or not. I am just so confused.

Side note: I am having a sewer gas leak problem in my house right now, and I have read on the internet that sometimes that can cause skin rashes. My back usually burns a little bit if I let the hot water hit it in my shower and there seems to be more bumps when I get out of the shower as well. Could this possibly be my problem and not bed bugs?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2013 21:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

First of all have a read of this link:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

As heat is a known re-activator of skin reactions it may be that your body is responding to old signs as others have reported following sessions of exercise. If you have a look in the FAQ's and useful tools sections you will see options for detection and monitoring which I would advice is a way forward, even if only to show you the lack of activity and reinforce the fact its an old reaction.

You should also have a look at the link below as there can be other causes of reactions.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/help-bites-but-no-bugs

Finally although you took many of the right steps the reality is that if your source of bedbugs was something you come into regular basis with such as work then moving only disrupts the issue which is why it is generally not the advised course of action.

Finally amongst the links I have already suggested you read you will see information on Passive Monitors which are especially essential once you have been exposed to bedbugs to make sure that any future infestation is detected early where treatment may be as simple as removing and replacing the monitor and taking steps to avoid contact with future sources. The reality is that if they were universally adopted the issue of bedbugs would be less likley to spread and impact society reducing time to clear infestations and reducing reliance of treatment regardless of the method deployed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly declare my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor.

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. kristina92789

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 24 2013 3:53:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the response. I'm still getting "bites." But what's weird to me, is that back when I know I had bed bugs in my old apartment, I never really had any bites. Maybe 1 or 2, but nothing like I'm getting now. And I definitely had a lot of bed bugs before. In fact, the only reason I even noticed that I had them was because one day I actually saw the bugs, not because I was getting bitten. Is it possible that I'm just now reacting to the bites--after two months? This is the only conclusion I can come up with. If I do have bed bugs now, they are highly skilled ninja bed bugs that refuse to make an appearance despite my endless searching efforts. lol.

4. nomorebbspls

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Apr 11 2013 7:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

I have an almost identical situation! I found two dead bugs/1 live bug on our mattress after moving in to the new apartment. We went on a crazy cleaning/chemical/diatemaceous earth spree. I experienced bites from the first day in the new apartment then every day or so, for about two weeks. Aside from the dead bugs and the 1 live one, after having our mattress cover cleaned and all the other measures we took, we never found any evidence of bugs. No feces, no castings, nothing. I was making myself CRAZY. I think I was part of the problem, my constant paranoia, my constant stress, it was all making my reactions worse. It's been 27 days since I found a bite, and I just found one on my foot this morning. Our passive detectors still show nothing, and our mattress was clear when I quickly inspected it before leaving. The best thing to do is to listen to what bed-bugscouk has to say. His advice really helped me calm down and look at things logically. Bites are not evidence!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

5. ImGoingBuggie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Nov 7 2016 8:58:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I am losing my mind and my patience. I have searched daily for evidence of bed bugs and other bugs to be honest. I haven't found any signs of any bugs at all except the occasional spider. At any rate, because I am being bitten severely (by something)I am treating my home and sleeping area, laundry, my person and any other form of treatment you can think of just to be safe and to attempt to treat the problem (whatever that may be)and get rid of it. Unfortunately nothing is working so far and I keep asking myself how can you fight something you cannot see. Maybe I am unsuccessful because I am using the wrong treatments for the wrong problem. How do you treat, if you do not know what you are treating for? I haven't found any living bugs, no dead bugs, no eggs, no skins and no blood spots. I vacuum daily and dispose of the contents (outside of the home) and wash the vacuum tools and change filters (Hepa) regularly, I wash bedding and clothing twice a week, I have vacuumed and sprayed from ceiling to floor, inside and under dressers, tables and cabinets, inside and under couches & chairs, mattresses, rugs. I literally do not know what else to do. I have contacted my landlord and informed him of the issue I am having, he has informed me that the building has had issues with various bugs and he has had the building treated regularly to get rid of and maintain problems that any/ all other tenants have had or are having. My concern is that I am still being bit, I am still sleep deprived and I have some other unrelated health concerns and Don't want this problem to negatively effect my health further due to the fact that no matter how we treat, what we are treating for or how long we seem to treat this problem it still seems that nothing is working. Any ideas or advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

6. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2016 13:03:45
    #

Login to Send PM

@iamgoingbuggie. You should really have started a new thread.
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-use-the-forums
    I am no expert but you are correct in that you cannot treat if you do not know what is biting you. Are you sure they are bites and not an allergic skin reaction? If you think you are being bitten, how long have you had the bites? Could you be being bitten somewhere else? Where on your body are the bites? Bedbugs only bite exposed flesh and cannot bite through clothing.
    Do you have any animals that could have fleas?
    You could call in a PCO to attempt to identify the problem.

7. ImGoingBuggie

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2016 19:49:17
    #

Login to Send PM

@Frightened
    Thank you so very much for responding to me. I have started a new thread or two but I was responding here in regards to Kristina92789. My apologies for this. At any rate, I have searched high and low and turned my home inside out looking for signs of bedbugs and anything else that may be able to cause bites. I have never found any evidence of bedbugs other then the bites. My Dad found a live bedbug when this problem first started about three (3) weeks ago and it was climbing up the wall in my bathroom/shower one morning. My Dad showed me what it was and what it looked like, then killed it and pointed out the specific smell that they have. I instantly treated everything the way it says to. Over the next few weeks I had done three different treatments to help rid the problem. I have still never seen any signs of bedbugs, nor have I found any bugs living or dead since that one my Dad showed me (I freaked out, that was all I needed to see) but I continued to get bites. The problem is I was getting bites Day/ night, light/dark and the bites were starting to get bigger and it was driving me insane. I finally gave in and called my landlord to get a professional to help rid the problem. The professional came in examined and searched my home, He stated that he couldn't find anything that gave him reason to believe that it was bedbugs, however he stated that because I was getting bites (I showed him) and he knows that other units in the building have been having problems with bedbugs and he has treated their apartments too, He stated that bedbugs can hide anywhere/everywhere in the smallest of places where its dark and that even though he isn't seeing any does not mean that I'm not having a problem with them because the other tenants in the same building are having a problem. So he agreed to treat. However, I am still being bit. My bites are as big as a quarter (now) and they are in a string of 3-5 bites, sometimes they are just a single bite. The same as what I stated above. I don't know what to do anymore, I'm going crazy. My Doctor is highly concerned because I have an illness that caused my immune system to pretty much stop working. The doctor has seen my bites, has confirmed that they are insect bites and that they are infected.He also informed me that even though he can confirm that the bites are insect bites, he cannot confirm what kind of insect is biting me without seeing the actual insect. So, The professional said he would return to treat again if I was still having a problem when I called him back to let him know I was still getting bites. What is going on? How can I help to rid myself of this problem? I am ill and moving is not an option for me at this time but I do need to get this under control because the bites are infected almost immediately upon getting them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,664 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me