Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Resources

In Need of Bed Bug Books

(13 posts)
  1. NoBB

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 3:36:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Note -- I'm not looking to buy books WITH bed bugs. Just want to read books ABOUT bed bugs.

I plan on buying the David Caine one, and maybe a few others. Which books have accurate info not found on this forum?

Thx -- recommendations appreciated! : )

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jun 3 2011 10:20:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK I am more than a little biased but here goes.

My book sets things out in a very logical way and is not intended to make you a BB expert, its designed and written to put things into a logical context. Much of the info you will see in the FAQ's but its the way it is set out that makes it a value to read. The images are also very clear and all instructions as simple as I could make them. I am however likely to try and find the time towards the end of 2011 to bring the book up to date with new treatment options and technologies but that is some time off yet.

With regards other books there are a few out there and a lot of eBooks. To make life simple I am yet to see an eBook which is worth what they charged (even the ones at $2.50). I have read the others and they are either week to the point of embarrassing or riddled with errors. The exception to this is Usinger's Monograph which although a heavy tome is probably the most detailed thesis on bedbugs to date but was published in the 1960's.

Usinger's although great for pest professionals and entomologists is I feel too much information for the public and covers biology and genetics rather than control and prevention.

I did give one pest "professionals" book a strong slating on Amazon having bought it but that was simply because it was one of the worst books I have ever read and the ideas on bedbugs was so out of date.

I would suggest that a trip to the bookstore to try and check copies before you buy is a good move, not that they are expensively prohibitive as books but more to do with the fact that many don't contain the basics and the step by step info that can actually help you.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. NoBB

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 4:31:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

It's great to hear that you're updating your awesome book. I'll definitely get the updated edition when it comes out.

I am hoping that you would consider putting it on Kindle (the Amazon book reader/app). This way the rest of us international folks won't have to pay an arm and a leg for international shipping.

In fact, it would be just fabulous if you can put the current edition of "Bed Bug Beware" on kindle or some other e-book reader. I'm sure you understand how bed bug sufferers are weary of physical books and would love to pay for an electronic copy instead.

-NoBB

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 4:46:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi NoBB,

It will be a while before the new version is even finalised but I will have a chat with the editor and other author about doing a kindle version and getting it online.

The US amazon version does ship from the US so shipping should not be so bad. I will also consider doing a version that comes with it's own ziplock baggie.

David

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 6:03:23
    #

Login to Send PM

NoBB: also be sure to check out the fabulous bedbugger.com list of resources assembled and maintained by host nobugsonme...

http://bedbugger.com/links

...which is dated at the top April 20, 2008 but does link to materials more recent than that, such as the 3rd Edition of Stephen L. Doggett's superb Code of Practice For the Control of Bed Bug Infestations in Australia which is May 2010.

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 7:44:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Click on the Resource tab for reliable sources of information on this site. The comprehensive manuals are free and more up to date than other publications... Check out NoBug's archived articles from the blog page too.

I highly recommend David's book... Bed Bugs Beware... concise with high quality photographs.

Also take a look at the Resource page and the archived articles on the New York vs Bed Bugs.org site. Renee has written high quality articles on subjects that you won't see anywhere else.

The Armed Forces Pest Management electronic library is a free resource that provides access to scientific articles... A link is provided on the resource page.

PCT magazine is available online with articles written for PCOs... Pest Control Technology or PCT is published by NPMA.

Don't waste your money on the Bed Bug Handbook or any of the ebooks available on Bed Bug Central... Stephen Doggett's Code of Practice and other publications available for free will be more useful.

YouTube has some instructive videos... but you have to sift through a huge library to find the reliable ones.

Copasan has some useful pay per view materials that are produced for professional training.

The Bed Bug Resource.com is a good place to get professional advice or ask technical questions.

Obviously, you have already found this forum... which is the best consumer support site on the web.

Good luck

7. NoBB

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jun 5 2011 11:35:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow. Thx for the detailed response, and I shall carefully plow through all this! : )

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 11:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have submitted a kindle version of the book but the images are greyscale rather than full colour. Personally I would go for the full colour version because lets face it the devil is in the detail and its so much easier to compare a full colour high resolution image.

I may look at doing a laminated special edition for those uber worries about bedbugs though.

David

9. NoBB

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 21:06:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

*Happy dance*

Thx for putting your book on Kindle (it'll appear on Amazon in a couple of days/weeks?). I'll get the book version plus the Kindle version then

Though I suspect that the book version will be much slower to arrive as I live in Asia. I'll write to the public library system in my city to suggest them to procure a few copies, too.

10. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 7 2011 13:45:05
    #

Login to Send PM

In addition to some already mentioned. Bed Bug Handbook / Pinto Associates written by Rick Cooper, Larry Pinto and Sandy Kraft.

11. btaggart

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 9 2011 12:47:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Cooper's Bed Bug Handbook is very informative

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jun 10 2011 4:52:46
    #

Login to Send PM

13. NoBB

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jun 12 2011 22:06:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratz on being a parent again

Thank you so much David!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982