In Classroom

(4 posts)
  1. CountingCrows

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 21:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a friend that is a teacher, a student in her class had a bed bug on their jacket. My friend killed the bug, and it was confirmed as a bed bug. The student admitted that they had bed bugs, but their home hadn't been treated. Now my friend is paranoid about bringing the bugs home with her, any suggestions for her to prevent this?

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 22:55:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Have your friend start by reading the FAQs on this site.

She should start with these:

http://bedbugger.com/2007/08/05/faq-i-stayed-somewhere-that-had-bed-bugs-what-do-i-do-to-keep-from-taking-them-home/

http://bedbugger.com/2006/11/02/faq-how-can-i-avoid-spreading-bedbugs-to-others-when-i-visit-their-homes/

http://bedbugger.com/2006/10/19/faq-how-can-i-avoid-bedbugs-while-traveling/

They reference "traveling" but I believe they also touch on how to go places without getting and/or giving bed bugs (when you have an infestation). It's been a while since I've read them and the ones I linked to might have some duplicate information in them.

In a nutshell (a tiny nutshell) and in my opinion, your friend should keep her belongings (purse, jacket, bags, etc.) in zip loc bags (they come in L, XL, XXL) while in her classroom.

It has also been previously suggested (and this is what I would do in a situation where I had confirmed bed bugs in my work place) . . . that she should take an extra set of clothing (sealed in a zip loc bag) and change before leaving work, sealing her exposed clothes in a separate bag to be treated when arriving home (thrown in the dryer or sealed until they can be laundered), so as not to potentially expose her car also.

She also might want to be careful if she takes papers etc. home to grade. There is a poster on here that is a teacher that I think I remember that she believes she got bed bugs from taking papers home. Her name is Suzanne and I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you asked her specific questions on precautions she now takes.

I hope your friend is going to report the case to the powers that be and hopefully something can be done to help the family with bed bugs. It's great that she wants to protect herself . . . but what about all the other children and families that are being potentially exposed also?

Hope this helps your friend some.

Bed Bug Suck!!!!

Abs

3. CountingCrows

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 18 2014 23:12:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I will relay the message to her. She told the principal and he said the bugs would be gone in 2 days smh. He didn't even contact the parent to tell her about this, I hope my friend and the students all take these precautions. And yes, they do suck!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2014 0:22:30
    #

Login to Send PM

If your friend works in NYC, there's a state-mandated protocol for this...

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316