Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

In a world possibly post bedbugs...

(6 posts)
  1. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2011 7:36:38
    #

Login to Send PM

...do I worry that my new neighbor has Stanley Steemer out a couple of weeks ago and is throwing away an old sofa bed today?!

No. Really. Do people still toss furniture because it's old?

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2011 8:00:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The sofa ha a mark on it last night that looked like deliberate distressing of the furniture. In the harsh light of the day, it looked like one old sofa, well cared for yet worn out.

3. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2011 8:09:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Every time I see a discarded mattress, I think bedbugs.
    Also, when driving by apartment buildings, I think the same thing.
    About a year ago, I wouldn't have thought much of it...

4. laststrawsue

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2011 8:52:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Well... Speaking as a potentially paranoid person in the midst of a bed bug infestation. (Thought I would preface this.)

I've been a fan of streetmattress.com for many years. It's a web site that posts photos of mattresses on the street - discarded, in transit, etc. And I've submitted a few photos over the years (mostly in the "on the move" section).
    I mention this because I do tend to notice discarded mattresses... and I do tend to take photos of them!
    I've lived where I do for over 5 years. In the these years, I only ever saw maybe 2 discarded mattresses in the alley or in the street on my block, and one was a child's mattress that was clearly urine stained about 2 years ago!

In the last 2 months, I started regularly seeing mattresses and sofas out on the curbs. I noticed this before I found the 1st bed bug in my apt, and had thought it odd.

At least 2 families who live in my apt bldg have friends/family in other buildings on the block, and they regularly visit each other.

On the one hand, yes, of course, people get rid of old worn furniture when they're able to replace it, or if it's so worn they'd throw it out even if they couldn't replace it.
    On the other hand, seeing many not completely wretched sofas & mattresses out on the street with little sign of damage, during a time of high unemployment & tight financial times, in a modest neighborhood, comprised of a good portion of immigrants, who have little or no furniture to begin with & continually visit each other... in the midst of a bed bug infestation...

I guess what I'm saying is, it's all about context.

The only thing that would give me pause is that it's a "new neighbor" (presumably just moved in), and I would wonder why someone would bother paying the expense or trouble to move a sofa bed (quite heavy) to a new place, only to discard it.
    And I've been hearing a saying that was common during the Great Depression, and has made a come-back, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without."
    That said, even with the economy being tight... there are still people, even people who are struggling, that would rather rack up more credit card debt or whatever, just to have NEW things... and to throw away the old.

And I'm told by my SO - "everything's not about bed bugs".
    (Disclosure: my SO seems to be a non-reactor to bed bug bites, whereas I'm reacting badly.)

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2011 8:58:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved out of the infestation. The Republicans next door probably got that sofa under the first Bush. But you make a good point, not a ton of furniture tossed out here.

6. laststrawsue

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2011 10:09:19
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL
    Do The Republicans next door have pets or have they had pets?
    If so, a steam cleaner service would be of no particular oddity.

Particularly if they have say, an elderly dog that was a puppy during the first Bush presidency ;)...
    Or maybe if they had an elderly dog that you no longer see anymore...

Don't want to gross anyone out. But as a pet lover myself, I can tell you it's very difficult to make that decision to have an ailing pet euthanized... BEFORE they have an accident on the furniture or carpeting. Usually until they have an accident on the floor or become very sickly, it's hard to justify such a drastic & upsetting decision.

I would be willing to bet - (though not to pay up if I'm wrong) - that over half of all professional rug cleaner service visits are caused by the accidents of ailing pets... and not bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,225 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago