Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

I'm really "bugging" out :(

(3 posts)
  1. buggyboola

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 13:45:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So I've been struggling with what I believed to be BB's for about 6 weeks now.
    My son and I have been bitten and react horribly. I've scratched holes in my body and have numerous scars. His father has NO reaction whatsoever or is not being bitten.
    I've read every article on the internet, looked at oodles of photos, and cried myself to sleep. I've had proffessionals come in to scour my home, sent every thing washable to be laundered (700$ at the fluff and fold) dry-cleaned the rest and had a canine and visual inspection done. I've never found a BB, skins, casts, fecal matter..NOTHING. The inspector also came back with a negative for BB's but said I had an AWFUL infestation of carpet beetles
    For about a week after the house was cleaned and the laundry all done and bagged, NO bites.
    The next week, a bite here or there, but I do have 4 dogs and we spend a LOT of time out and about in grass, hikes etc. They also weren't seeming as crazy and inflammed as before so I thought they were different.
    I have to admit I got caught up in life and didn't remove all the clutter from under my beds (where the carpet beetles were discovered) and steam clean as I had been advised..BAD MOVE!!
    So it all started again Friday night I have 37 huge, raging red, "bites" and my son has one too. I've scratched a few raw and can't stand to look at my naked body in the mirror (ok blushing here) because the bites are so disgusting!!! The bites are all occuring on my torso, from below my bustline to my upper thighs and hips, front and back....
    I am going to clean and steam beneath both beds today and remove and wash all bedding on both beds. One of the beds is already in an encasement, so I'm going to cover the second bed...bad thing is the bites are occuring in the room with the encased bed....

Help please..any ideas...could it be carpet beetles? Is it BBs???
    I can't sleep, I look horrible....I am so tired and stressed out...

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 15:32:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps you feel you've made some progress, judging from your later post at...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/carpet-beetle-reaction-questions#post-121532 ?

Meanwhile, non-expert question responding to your post here...

buggyboola - 1 hour ago  » 
    The inspector also came back with a negative for BB's but said I had an AWFUL infestation of carpet beetles

...did the inspector show you the carpet beetles, either adults or larvae or both? If it was an « awful » infestation then presumably it would have been easy for him or her to do so. Then if you saw them with your own eyes that would seem to be quite convincing and could explain your situation without your necessarily having bed bugs. You would still want to keep a sharp eye out for bed bugs but in the meantime you'd want to deal with the carpet beetles insofar as possible and see whether that might be sufficient for your problem to clear up.

Alternatively, with 4 dogs have you considered the possibility of fleas.

Furthermore, since you say you've been outdoors a lot, the question comes to mind whether any of your bites have been in the form of red bull's eye ring marks. If so they could conceivably be from deer ticks which, unlike bed bugs, are known to transmit disease, in particular Lyme disease. That's treatable if you deal with it early, otherwise can become a chronic and serious affliction.

On that last topic see...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/lyme

...or for in-depth see...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Lyme+site%3Abedbugger.com&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs= .

3. buggyboola

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 26 2011 17:06:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Jrbtnyc-
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    As for progress, I was feeling very hopeful with the previous post: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/carpet-beetle-reaction-questions#post-121532
    but I go through moments of feeling like I should trust the PCO (why give me a negative when a positive would make them money) and eveyone else telling me it's NOT BBs and then even moments later I get another bite (or take a shower and see the oodles I already have) and I'm back to thinking I have BBs.
    So many of the posts on here discuss the sneaky manner of the BBs and how they can hide indefintely and I'm terrified I'm one of those places where there are no signs (except for bites) but I got 'em
    There are no bullseyes, and I'm confident it's not fleas, mites maybe but not fleas or ticks. Both great suggestions though.

I actually found a "cast" or shell, skin, whatever it's called and saved it for the PCO, I didn't show him until after he had already told me it was carpet beetles, and I actually brought out my baggy thinking it was going to be a "no you are wrong, I have them and I need treatment" do all end all, he almost chuckled and said that I should have shown him to begin with, they were carpet beetle cast offs for sure. Oops so much for my internet sleuthing skills.
    Quite honestly I'm still freaked out, and probably will be until I find a bug or the bites stop...
    I can only hope one or the other happens soon.

Thanks again!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,552 posts in 45,813 topics over 139 months by 20,174 of 20,973 members. Latest: busbugs, jklyczek, Thisguy97