Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

I'm not sure I have an infestation (Denver, CO)--- HELP!

(8 posts)
  1. Cant_Tell

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2008 21:28:02
    #

Login to Send PM

A few hours ago I found a bed bug crawling on my couch. My boyfriend and I put it on a bookmark and brought it over to the windowsill for a closer look before killing it. When we looked at it, I was sure it was a bed bug (I had bed bugs four years ago in brooklyn--- but never again since then). It was definitely an adult, and when we squished it good amount of blood came out. Since I was completely terrified, I threw out our mattress, couch, and box spring, and put our bedding and pillows into plastic bags. I later read on here that maybe that wasn't the best idea but oh well. I haven't been bitten at all (the bed bug bites I got in my old apartment four years ago were huge welts), and my boyfriend has gotten two welt-like bites on his stomach. We called the landlord, and on OUR expense he is having us call an exterminator. Does it sound like we have an infestation? How much does bed bug extermination usually cost? Has any one in the Denver region had this problem and had to deal with their landlord possibly evicting them? Has anyone with one bedbug and hardly to no bites had a much larger infestation to follow? HELP!

2. Cant_Tell

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2008 21:35:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I also forgot to ask--- does anyone have a PCO they can recommend in the Denver area? Thanks.

3. jasicano3

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 19 2008 22:00:42
    #

Login to Send PM

well, get a flash light and start lookign in the couch's seems and under the pillows, and behind it, then move to the bedroom, very easy to spot them, in the creases of the bed skirts, and if you see black dots (feces) they are near!!!!
    I just discovered them myself too, and I have done a lot of reading!!!

4. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 0:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Ditto jasicano3's comments that you need to start looking around for them. They love books and anything else you often have laying on or near the bed.

In Australia it can cost about $1500 AUD for a proper inspection and cleanup for a 2 bedroom apartment (and a follow-up visit), more for a house. And expect to put in a few days of prep work. With that said, you can get much cheaper services by other PCOs who don't follow best practices, or have their own best practices.

As I said to other people on here: if you see a bed bug during the day, it's most likely that you've just hit a threshold where you have so many that one has crossed your attention. The chance of it being just 1 that just wondered into the house are very minimal.

Of course I only speak from my own experience, and I'm not a PCO.

5. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 2:18:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Denver's got a problem. I got them there, as well, and so have some others here. Actually, all of Colorado & the whole damn country, etc. have a BB issue.

My sincerest condolences.

Anyway, your first stop should be the FAQs here for information, including recommendations for how not to spread them to other locations. Wish I could recommend a PCO for you, but I ended up not treating in the end (long story, logistics unmanageable for me). The condo management company used a company with a really generic name, something like Pest Management. They had daily experience with bedbugs, though the receptionist/cust svc rep was a little clueless. My friend used Orkin in the suburbs, sorta knowledgeable but also some question marks.

Look into seeing if Denver has some low-cost or free legal aid. Also maybe inquire of Denver public health about your rights and responsibilities. I highly doubt evicting you as a result of bedbugs is legal. Most folks' question is, who has to pay? - me or the landlord. Begin to document your correspondence and actions if you fear eviction and an uncooperative landlord.

There is lot of information on this site, particularly under the FAQs. Read up and best of luck!!

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 3:07:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Click the "Denver" tag and you will likely see some local PCOs mentioned--either in a positive light or otherwise. Hope that helps.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Cant_Tell

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 20 2008 16:22:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Second day with bedbugs, neither I or my boyfriend have any bites. Regardless, I am also worried since I have to go to New York in three weeks. It is not really the kind of trip where I can't take anything with me as I will be there until the winter. Is there any good logistical plan to try to prevent bringing them back with me?

8. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 21:40:13
    #

Login to Send PM

in the FAQ section there is a good article on how to avoid bedbugs while traveling, and how to avoid spreading them to others. maybe you could use some of those protocols to avoid bringing bedbugs (there with you or) back, if you are exposed to them. the FAQ section can be accessed through the orange button below...

good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88