Im new to this and driving myself crazy

(19 posts)
  1. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 0:25:22
    #

Login to Send PM

i found out that i have BB just two days ago and i have been going crazy since. i had red bumps on me for a few days know but i just started seen the bugs two days ago. i sprayed my matress with a bunch of lisol but it didnt do much did something but not much. i made my boyfriend stay in the shower with me until 330am last night because i was afraid to go to bed. i dont like insect. these in particular creap me out because of how they are. i have a two year old and i have her staying with my mom until i can kill the BBs, i dont know how long that is going to be. but i miss her so much. i have not started putting anything in the house to kill the but lisol and i went to the mall and i purchased a steamer and steamed my top matress i did not get to do the bottom. my bf's mother has had these in the past and said that she had to strip every inch of her house and put clerosel or something like that and that it worked and got rid of them.

*does lisol work?
    *do they really come at you from the ceiling wen u protect your bed.
    *does DE powder really work? i am waiting for some that i ordered off ebay and i wanted to know. i should have asked before i ordered it but im desperate and willing to try any thing.
    *i live in a building with 16 apartments and i am afraid that they may be in the whole building. how do i tell the owner with causing a big comotion and turning the whole building against me.
    *i cant afford to pay to get this fixed and im sure that watever they use will be a cheap methos to get it out of the way. i have been living here for about 15 months and they have a roach problem they cant get rid off. what can i do on my own.
    *my bf's mother says that i have to go through the whole mattress wearing gloves and crushing the eggs and live ones. is that really necessary?
    do i have to empty all the cabinets and closets and but all my belongings in bags before i spray anything?
    * i went to home depot and bought "sprayaway BB killing spray" do any spray or this one work?
    *even though i steamed my top mattress i saw a baby one crawling just a few min ago how do i steam my matter enough to guarantee i killed all eggs.
    i have more questions just cant think right know im tired but dont want to go to bed im scared and the fact that my bf can go to bed like nothing is wrong is driving me crazy.
    * does clorox kill BB?
    * does rubbing alcohol kill them ?
    * if so should i put it on my skin before i go to bed?

2. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 15:10:20
    #

Login to Send PM

can some one answer my questions please

3. Absurdity101

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 15:25:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I am certainly not an expert here, but I've read in so many places that professional treatment is not optional with things. You write that you can't afford it, but it sounds like you're wasting money making personal attempts (i.e. Lisol, steam cleaner) to solve the problem yourself.

You also write that you're in an apartment building. Which means, presumably, that you have a landlord. Which means that the landlord needs to get involved. It's very likely that the landlord could pay for some or all of the professional treatment. It's certainly worth bringing up with him/her. It won't be a pretty conversation, but look what hell this situation is causing you -- you owe it to yourself to treat it seriously.

4. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 15:30:07
    #

Login to Send PM

im waiting for my bf to get home so we can talk to the super the LL does not live here. and the super is the one that usually gets in touch with him

5. BBbythebay

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 15:31:40
    #

Login to Send PM

rubbing alcohol, bleach will kill the damned bugs, as will steam. However, these are contact killers and do not have residual killing effect. Also, just steaming the mattress may not kill all bedbugs since they could reside in the bed frame and other places in your room. DE powder is a good residual killer, and should be used LIGHTLY around baseboards, and also pumped into wall cavities by removing faceplates from switches and outlets. Be sure it is FOODGRADE DE that you are getting.

In the meantime, just to get some restful sleep, i would do the following:

-take apart the frame, and spray every inch and crevice possible with 91% isopropyl alcohol (stuff used for first aid).
    -vacuum the mattress, and purchase a good mattress encasement with bedbug proof zippers.
    -isolate the bed by moving it away from walls, and tape the legs of your bed with double sided tape. Be sure to keep bedding off floors.
    -put double sided tape in a rectagle on the ceiling area directly above your bed, essentially forming a barrier. (however if you have a light fixture over your bed you may need to move the bed away so that it's not directly under the light)

of course, a competent PCO is best, but given your situation these steps should help. be mindful that this will not rid the bedbugs of your apartment, but should at least give you some peace of mind when you sleep, which from experience is immensely valuable when dealing with BB.

6. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 15:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

i cant move the bed from under the light because its a big bed and i have not place to move it to in my room. it only fits properly in one spot in the room. this is the title that i got off ebay and purchased "250265924941 Perma-Guard Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth - 10# Bag". i feel like i have something crawling on me but i dont see anything? what could it be?

7. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 15:44:06
    #

Login to Send PM

my cousin had itchness too she was helping me clean the house

8. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 15:48:14
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you so much BBbythebay
    i dont have these things and i dont have any money cus i dont work (looking for work), we're tight on money but trying going to talk to the super

9. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 15:56:29
    #

Login to Send PM

i will answer,
    I have off the day and i am here. I went throught 3 months of hell.
    I think i am free, but i got bites today. Believe it is misquito. I was crazed, so i will try to help answer your questions.
    I am horribly afraid of bbugs and i feel you pain and panic.

Do not start moving everything around til they pco. You don't want them to spread to other areas.

First I would start washing your clothes and sealing them up in plastic. The large ziplocks are good. I just used one for pants, socks etc. If you can't wash it, seal it up til you can or putting in the dryer , for hours, if it is not washable. prevent bugs from running in your clothes and even after you have a pco, keep them sealed til it's over.

DE. You do not want this stuff in the air. Do not breathe it in. Only in areas that are undistubed.
    In wall sockets, etc. I did put it on the floor and then put a heavy plastic over it, so i was safe from it and my cat.
    It works, but it is not to be breathed in.
    I had one room , I used that was my safe room, with that on the floor and plastic. I slowly cleaned and inspected everything and sealed it up in binsstored in that room, as i was planning on getting out of there, eventually.

get rid of anything that is junk. Maybe wait til after they pco. I just looked at a belonging and said is it worth a bug living in it now or ever in the future. Less stuff the better.

*does lisol work?
    Have not heard of this being used. It's strong and harmful, I am sure and most things will not work unless you come in contact with the bug and even then it takes awhile. Use other things reccommeneded. I wiped everything down with 91 pecent alchol and then sealed it in plastic.

*do they really come at you from the ceiling wen u protect your bed.
    Not unless they are coming from the neighbor upstairs or the infestation is huge. Maybe out of the celing fixtures from upstairs.

*does DE powder really work? i am waiting for some that i ordered off ebay and i wanted to know. i should have asked before i ordered it but im desperate and willing to try any thing.
    The de does work well. But use it carefully...Readth faqs

*i live in a building with 16 apartments and i am afraid that they may be in the whole building. how do i tell the owner with causing a big comotion and turning the whole building against me.

What stare are you in NJ. Well. don't worry about the LL. New york and the rest of the Us is having a huge problem, espically New York. I told my Ll and found out they had then 3 floors up. They probably know of a building. It is not your fault. If you don't all band together to get rid of them they will just go next door and back again...

*i cant afford to pay to get this fixed and im sure that watever they use will be a cheap methos to get it out of the way. i have been living here for about 15 months and they have a roach problem they cant get rid off. what can i do on my own.
    Wash you stuff and seal it up, get rid of clutter, get the DI. Call a pro. They must come back 7-12 days for the eggs. the bugs have to come ion contact with the pc spray. DO NOT USE ROUCH SPRAY. THEY will only spread.
    *my bf's mother says that i have to go through the whole mattress wearing gloves and crushing the eggs and live ones. is that really necessary?
    Inspect the mattress. I'd put the bugs in a glass, and save them to give to the pco or health department. You need proof, other than bites. Get a protector for the mattress and box spring and seal it up. The good ones are on this site and tape up the zipper. I don't know, How i feel about sleeping on my sprayed mattress and espically if you have a baby.

do i have to empty all the cabinets and closets and but all my belongings in bags before i spray anything? Ask your pco. Some want you to wait til after they spray. But i would then clean it all , and seal it up.
    I throught away 28 bags of belongings, becaiuse i was crazed. I now , know you can see the egss and ai did not need to be so crazed, but serouisly, I just feel like i have less stuff they can ever live in.

* i went to home depot and bought "sprayaway BB killing spray" do any spray or this one work?
    I think its okay, but, bedlam is stronger and you need a pro.

*even though i steamed my top mattress i saw a baby one crawling just a few min ago how do i steam my matter enough to guarantee i killed all eggs. Steam it up and seal it up.

i have more questions just cant think right know im tired but dont want to go to bed im scared and the fact that my bf can go to bed like nothing is wrong is driving me crazy.

* does clorox kill BB?
    I would think so, but other things will be better for you to use
    * does rubbing alcohol kill them ?

91 percent, not 70 percent
    * if so should i put it on my skin before i go to bed?
    That will not help, I think it has to soak the bug. I used tea tree oil and i think it helped, if not my peace of mind.
    Bless you... I am sorry... you will get it taken care of...

10. BBbythebay

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 16:05:55
    #

Login to Send PM

it's okay if you can't move the bed away from the light. i only mentioned it because in some rare occasions the are accounts of people finding BBs there. but again, it's pretty rare.

The DE you got is the one that most people would recommend.

As for itching, it could be just something your mind does to under stress due to BB (it did with me). As a precaution though, the people helping you should put the work clothes away in zip lock bags until they are ready to be washed and dried in high heat settings, for future reference.

btw, when you steam treat your mattress, you should steam all sides and the bottom as well, and focus on the seams, which is where the BBs like to hide. Also, if you have a boxspring, that is also another piece of furniture that houses BBs.

As for the prices, the alcohol i got at target for about 3 bucks. altho the mattress encasement is a bit pricier, a good one for a queen size bed is about 50 bucks. if the encasement is out of the question for now, then i think a careful steaming, alcohol spray, and isolating the bed should give you some temporary relief while you figure out the situation with the landlord.

11. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 17:36:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Vdevor......Sorry about your current experiences, many of us have gone through that initial shock. Here are some ideas for you;

1. DE is supposed to work, although it does not kill them instantly. I believe they walk through the fine dust and it dries them up, which takes more than a week. No consensus on how long, some say two weeks, some say more. I have used DE all over my home (carefully of course, and wearing a mask when I apply it), and I have kept the infestation down considerably. Not yet sure if I got them all because in the past month I have been getting welts on my face and palms.

With the DE I use a large paint brush, and just paint a light dusting. At first I steamed the under and inner parts of the sofa and chair for several weeks. Then I dusted all the metal, wood and cloth parts underneath. This does not get disturbed so I am not afraid that the dust will get into the air.

I dusted (painted) the baseboards with DE also, and in the last few months even spread the stuff on the metal bed frame parts and all over the box spring. I use a mask when applying, and place only where it will not get disturbed.

2. Get rid of all your junk, as someone has already suggested--everything that you do not really need,,,you won't even miss it.

3. Vacuum every few days, but always remove the bag every time you vacuum and dispose of the bag carefully in a tight plastic bag.

4. I believe that they can indeed drop from the ceiling, but this is probably rare, and I wouldn't think about it right now.

5. Feeling things crawling on you a lot? Yes, this happens to a lot of people. You swear there is something there, but if you look closely, it is a hair, or a grain or something like that, or nothing at all. I still itch a lot in places where there are no bites, so I try and not let that bother me. When I think back, I have always had dry skin before the bugs, and itched a lot, I just never paid attention. Now of course, every little itch and I am looking for a bug. At first every little grain dark or light I examined very closely.

6. In October I found a dead bug in my bed sheet, so for months I washed my bed sheets almost every day in hot water, and dried on high for 45 minutes. I also had to dispose of my very nice captains wooden bed frame, and I bought a new metal frame where there are less places for them to hide.

7. Of course, as everybody says, you have to get professional treatment. In my province in Canada the landlord is responsible for the cost.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck!!

12. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 22:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

i called my LL today but i did not get an answer. i left him a message but no call yet.

i completely cleaned my apt. and i move a whole bunch of stuff around. i did put almost all my clothes and blankets in bags i have not washed yet bc my bf does not like the laundry places and i dont have a drier so i have to wait till i can get money cus he will not give me for the atleast. he's not being much of a support. i tell him to put his clothe in a bag wen he gets home from work but he just throws it on the floor >:-O makes me so mad. but worst of all we are down to like $100 in the bank until like next week when he gets paid so we can spend it unless it's and emergency.

the DE will not come in until the 15th!!!!!

seems like they are only on my bed.

i live in newark NJ

i have a closet and a corner in my livingroom piled with stuff that i baged and boxed is that bad idea?i dont have anywere else to put them my apt is small. i have to put the boxes in bag but i have to buy more bags. i have my stuff in large garbage bags. is the bad or do i have to buy these zip bags and totes?

i killed a few bugs with the steamer but i did not save them i dont know how to explain this now other then with the eggs that are left on the matress.

how good is NEEM OIL i want to order it but i want to know if it has work for N E 1?

the cover for the mattress is out of the question for now. like i said were kinda broke and i charged stuff on my credit card that my bf has to pay for, and i cant be inconsiderate.

i read that i have to use the DE for like a month, vacuming and replacing it once a week.

with the steaming i have been getting less bite marks. i have been checking my cabinets but no sign yet. i chaeck my sofa 2 days ago and no signs but i am in the living room now bc thats were the computer is. i dont sit on the couch though only for seconds afraid they'l come there.

THANK U ALL FOR ALL UR ADVICE AND I HAVE A LOT TO DO BUT NO CASH NOW SO IM DOING WHAT I CAN.

im going to shower so i can go o bed good night to evry1

still not sleeping well.

13. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 15:08:03
    #

Login to Send PM

i got in contact with my LL. he was not too happy though said that he had delt with this in the past in one of his other buildings and he said that it was difficult and expensive. im a bit depressed and upset bc he made it seem like it was us that bought them to the house but they have not even checked the other apts and no one else has seemed to have complaints.

14. jewel073

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 16:56:26
    #

Login to Send PM

hey
    call HPD immediately. google HPD to find the center closest to your city. just so you know, BED BUGS are considered a class B violation and the LL must PAY to have the apartment properly exterminated or he will be fined. usually, when a tenant calls HPD, they do the rest for you and they make the LL do his work, while checking with you to make sure the proper action is being taken. you can not do this alone. it's impossible to get rid of these bugs on your own. continue to bag your belongings and steaming your mattress/ boxspring. you have to try to get the plastic covers for the mattress and boxspring at some point, this will prevent the bugs from coming out and biting you. since your BF is still sleeping on the bed with no problem, then most likey they are feeding on him most of the time. just because he is not getting a reaction doesn't mean he is not being bitten. i was bitten hundreds of times at night but barely noticed while my daughter was waking up covered in welts. she sleeps in my room but in a separate bed. when the exterminator came, he found them in my boxspring and NONE in my daughter's bed. he told me he was certain i was also a host for the BB but i just had no reaction. buy a spray bottle and fill it with 91% alcohol and spray on any live bugs you can see. try your hardest to keep a bug in a ziploc to show as proof of your problem. it's a good idea to keep your baby out of the house until the problem is solved but you should know it's going to take months to end the problem. do not take your clothes out of the bags even if you don't see anymore bugs after the first treatment. you should wait at least 6 weeks before you start to relax and feel like you can start to get back to normal and still, this doesn't mean they won't come back. the exterminator should be willing to spray and treat as many times as necessary without charging extra.

i know how hard this is, but be strong and keep up the good fight! remember, they are only bugs, annoying but only bugs and they can't kill you. they also don't spread any diseases and don't like to do anything else but feed and go back into hiding. at least it's not like a cockroach where they go into everything and like to feed on everything in your apartment. still i know how hard and frustrating this is.
    good luck!! don't forget to google HPD!!

15. Adele

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 17:03:36
    #

Login to Send PM

By the way - it seems like MOST if not ALL LL will say the same damn thing - no one else has complained and you must have brought them in

I would call your city councelman in NJ and find out what the laws are there for LL to treat these things

and by the way - it is quite possible that the other apartments in your building may have them - either they don't know it as some people dont' react to bites or they may not be admitting to it

adele

16. scaredwelted

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 17:53:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found out yesterday it was BB's eating me alive also. The house (very old victorian) is being re-roofed and worked on. I rent the house, is there a possibility that could have something to do with it? Terminex is coming tomarrow for an estimate and I'm scared to death of the cost but I have welts, Blisters and and panic attacks from all this.

17. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 20:09:25
    #

Login to Send PM

i appologized that i did not clarify that my LL said that he will be getting someone here ASAP. sorry. he said that he had dealt with this in one of his other buildings a while back and he said it was costly. he seemed pissed.

18. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 20:10:27
    #

Login to Send PM

thank u all for the advice. he said that we have to do every little thing that the PCO says, no shortcuts, in order to get rid of these pests!!!

19. vdevorainnewark

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jul 13 2008 23:40:20
    #

Login to Send PM

no bites lately. scared that they might have left to aprts near by... saw one last night though but no bites...still waiting on the LL and PCO report. dont know when he's coming but the LL said he would bring him in ASAP. im not sure if the work weekends so that may mean that tomorrow is the day. Pray to God they come some. good night everyone

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,179 posts in 50,132 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92