Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

I,m new to bb,s, freaking out!

(7 posts)
  1. needrest

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 11:10:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I went to a walkin clinic last Sat. with bites on my legs. NP said " No there not bedbugs, scabbies bites ". When I mentioned I had an indoor cat he said the bites are probably fleas. Then he goes on to say that fleas come out at night and will bite exposed skin. Most of these bites at the time where underneath where I wear my boxer underwear that I sleep in. He said I could put my sheets outside in plastic bag for several hrs. in sun and that will do the trick. He prescribed some ointment also. I knew right away this guy had no idea what he was talking about from reading forums online. I have the classic 3 bites. Anyway,s I just ordered a expensive dry vapor steamer, mattress and boxspring, pillow case enclosers. Also the cups that go under bed legs. Got email last night from BB.com that some of order is on back order. They didn,t say what. Can I keep these bugs under control? What is a Hot Rm. treatment? They seem to be in my room. I can not afford a whole house treatment. Also, read about wiping down wood furniture with alcohol. Is that the alcohol they sell in drugstore. One odd thing I noticed is when cat jmps on my bed she actslike she sees something on sheet. I don,t see anything. This is freaking me out. More bites this morning and found what sort of looks like thing bb shed. Can,t stop thinking about bb,s ALL THE TIME. Thanks for letting me ramble. I don,t have anyone to talk about this with.

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 11:46:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear needrest,

Wow! Yes, it certainly sounds like you need some rest. It also sounds like maybe you could sit down for a minute and take a couple of deep breaths!! I'm sorry you are here. But you have not confirmed bed bugs yet!! I will try to address some of you concerns, but I am not an expert and we will request some guidance from them as needed.

You need to start by reading the FAQs on here.
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/faqs-about-bed-bugs-for-bedbugger-forum-users

needrest - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, I went to a walkin clinic last Sat. with bites on my legs. NP said " No there not bedbugs, scabbies bites ". When I mentioned I had an indoor cat he said the bites are probably fleas. Then he goes on to say that fleas come out at night and will bite exposed skin.

Scabies "bites"? I don't think I've ever heard of scabies "bites." No doctor can tell you if a bite is a bed bug bite or not. The closest they can tell – if they do a scraping – is if it is an "insect" bite. I have also never heard of "fleas coming out at night." But, because you have a cat, you might want to rule out fleas. There is a FAQ on fleas in the FAQ thread. However, here is the link:

http://bedbugger.com/2012/11/09/faq-do-i-have-fleas-or-bed-bugs/

He said I could put my sheets outside in plastic bag for several hrs. in sun and that will do the trick.

No, that will not work. Do you have a dryer? And, you still do not know if you have bed bugs.

Anyway,s I just ordered a expensive dry vapor steamer, mattress and boxspring, pillow case enclosers. Also the cups that go under bed legs. Got email last night from BB.com that some of order is on back order. They didn,t say what.

You are panicking and it sounds like you are going to go through a lot of work before you even confirm if you have bed bugs. You need to confirm first. Look for bugs (either dead or alive), cast/shed skins, or fecal traces. Read the FAQ regarding determining if you have bed bugs.

Can I keep these bugs under control? What is a Hot Rm. treatment? They seem to be in my room. I can not afford a whole house treatment. Also, read about wiping down wood furniture with alcohol. Is that the alcohol they sell in drugstore.

Ok, again (cue broken record music) you do not know you if you have bed bugs. Need to confirm first. 91% alcohol is a contact killer only, meaning if you see a bug and spray it with alcohol it will kill it. Alcohol will kill any bugs you find but it is very flammable and you need to be careful with it – AFTER confirming you have bed bugs. I have read on here that you can clean wood furniture with murphy's oil soap, but first confirm, confirm, confirm!

I don,t have anyone to talk about this with.

You can talk to us! Read the FAQs and perhaps the "Bite Primer" up in the green stickies since you are having "bites." And then let us know if you have any further questions!!!

3. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 12:11:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi needrest. I can understand your "freaking out." I was there a couple of weeks ago. I had the same pattern of bites (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and all of the other signs...bites at night....no visible signs of in infestation, etc. I was positive I had THEM!!

Not!!!....it was poison ivy with a few mosquito bites thrownin the mix. In my research though, I learned that not all linear or classic 3 bite patterns are BB's. Other insects can do the same thing including skin reactions to other allergens, mites, etc.

So please...take a deep breath....reread what AboslutelyFreaking said and take the steps necessary to see if you do really have an infestation. It's just too easy to let our minds run away with us...trust me on this one. I was in panic mode for over two weeks for nothing.

But also, let me share, I now have climb-ups and am going to order some passive monitors. Can't hurt to be preemptive and cautious. It's scary out there.

S

4. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 12:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh...and get your kitty some quality flea control medication. Even if you do have a problem with fleas that will help get rid of them. As they jump on her they will die and she will be much better off too. I have two small dogs and one cat.....keeping the flea control on them keeps us all flea free.

S

5. needrest

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 3 2013 4:34:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Readup for over 3hrs last night and did bb inspection of rm. last night and found there feces and black tiny specks moving around in papers beside bed. Also more bites. Noticed few on face this morning. They seem to be in my rm. for now. There is no way I can go the proffesional exterminator route right now. Like I said I,ve ordered a dry vapor steamer and when it arrives I,m gonna go over every inch of rm. then put on mattress and boxspring encacements, climbers, and anything else I can think of. I,m afraid of spraying chemicals and just spreading them more. The more I think about wiping stuff down with alcohol the dumber it sounds. Like someone said, it is flamable. Hey Newbite, Thanks for reminding me about the frontline, its getting time for another treatment for her. Just had her to vet for her annual exam. Shes doing fine. Its funny, cat doesn,t scratch but I do. I feel like I got something crawling on me and I,ll look and theres nothing there. Is there anything I could put on my face at night so at least they wouldn,t bite there. Probably not or everyone would be covering themselves with it. Any tips from anyone will be appreciated. Its like I can,t stop thinking about this problem. Its crazy. I,m glad I found this site. I,ve got nobody to talk to about this. Thanks again.

6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 3 2013 9:02:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi needrest,

I think your next step might be to capture some of the bugs you found and post a picture for a definitive ID by one of the experts. “Black tiny specks moving around in papers” does not sound like bed bugs. You can also post a picture of the fecal matter you found as several of the experts will ID that for you also. There is a product called Bed Bug Blue that you use to confirm that “black spots” are fecal. It is really good to have on hand!

Alcohol is flammable and if you use it you do have to be careful with it. (Like not smoking around it, etc.). I know one expert talks about using “alcohol wipes” to wipe stuff down with. There are also other “contact” killers out there.

Here are the instructions on how to post a picture. Again, please post a picture of the bugs you found and, if you want, you can post a picture of the fecal matter to see what the experts think. The experts also prefer flickr because they can enlarge the images.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/test-13

7. needrest

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Aug 6 2013 8:36:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for info about posting pictures. I have a old cheap cell phone that does take pictures but I can,t see them good on it or download onto computer with it. My camera is an older one also. Unless I was to pick up laptop and try to get picture with it, I,ve actually tried to take picture of cat once with laptop to send to my sister and it did not work well. I really need to get a decent cell phone. I,ve found 2 bugs,one was in a small cooler I had stored in closet and it was still alive. Top was not on tight. It could not climb out of it and it was a good size one. I could see it clear as day and theres no doubt in my mind that its a BB. The other one I saw was downstairs behind couch on windowsill and also alive. Neither one looked as though they had eaten recently. I,ve looked at a ton of pictures of BB,s and even looked at pictures of bugs that are mistaken for them. These are the real McCoy. I,ve put the cooler back in closet just the way it was, top on loosely in hopes of capturing another one. Even though I,m 99% sure what these bugs are I,d like to be 100%. Theres an aggricultural center not too far from here. They do a lot of research with fertilizers and pesticides. When I catch another one I,m gonna bring it down there and show someone. They,ll probably think I,m nuts but I don,t care at this point. I,ve noticed this weird smell several times when I walk into my rm. I,ve also smelled it when I,ve just been sitting in bed reading. It doesn,t last very long. It doesn,t smell like rotten raspberrys or anything else like that. To me it kind of smells like body odor with sweet sickly smell mixed in. I can,t explain it. It probably lasts 5-10 seconds then goes away. The steamer I,ve ordered hasn,t come yet. I,ve been watching videos about self treating that I,ve come accross on this site. I can,t have a proffesional come in right now so I,m gonna at least steam beds then put on pillow, boxspring-mattress encasements and use climbups. When steamer does come I,m planning on taking a couple days off and really go on the attack. Does anyone know how likely it would be to bring these creatures to someone elses house? I would not want to give these to my worst enemy if I had one. I know they get into luggage and I,m guessing they could hitch a ride on clothing. I,ve not found much online about this issue. Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,179 posts in 50,132 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92