Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Im moving soon I hope! (Time sensitive if you want to chime in!)

(3 posts)
  1. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 19:51:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, I am planning a move to escape the bedbugs in my apartment building.

My life has been altered by this; I am living in a 2 bedroom apartment and my room mate moved out and I planned to as well, but have ended up paying rent by myself for several months this summer due to some circumstances.

I am having some issues with my job and I want to make sure I am in a lease, as looking for an apartment while working at temp places or with intermittent freelance employment will be even worse.

I finally found a place that seems to be good for my price range and location and paranoia about bringing the bugs with me.

Details: 3 room basement apartment of a 3 apartment house, with windows.
    heating pipes at the ceiling level but very clean and with minor exceptions, the walls they pass through look well sealed. The rest of the apartment is clean, with tight linoleum or tile flooring and no large gaps I could see in the baseboards. I am taking almost nothing with me the first few months, and will be running my packtite regularly. I will be buying a brand new air bed before moving. The only thing that can not be packtited or sealed for large portions of the day s probably a light art table that I can inspect. I plan to dust lightly with DE following ALL precautions, and then run rigorous vacuuming with a proper vacuum for bedbugs. I am also going to buy some bedlam and spray the exteriors of the apartment, but NOT near my bed so they will be drawn inwards. Otherwise, its roomy, affordable and in a great location.

The bad: it is a basement, and I pass down stairs and through a non-living portion of the basement that has a boiler. This would be the main problem area if the bugs were to flee my apartment. I will also be bringing books from a storage space, slowly, but will be waiting 60 days before bringing anything too major. And will run them through the packtite again of course.

Is this nuts? Am I making a huge mistake? Any advice?

2. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 19:59:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot to add, my current landlord has been spraying once a month (which is pretty useless), but just with a spray jockey and I have found harborages the length of the apartment in odd places. The amateur closet carpentry and baseboards all have tons of gaps, which is the main place I suspect they are hiding in. I havent seen a bug since september when I found a skin on the wall, but I get a few bites regularly, especially in the 3rd and 4th week after the spray jockey does his ten minutes in my apartment. The last spray was almost 2 weeks ago, so I am currently in the week when new bugs are hatching or will soon hatch.

3. bushbugg

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 28 2010 22:33:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Anybody? You can be rude, even. I dont mind!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs