Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

I'm letting them bite me every night to avoid spreading them. Is this necessary?

(7 posts)
  1. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 17 2010 21:42:22
    #

Login to Send PM

The earliest the k9 inspection could come out is one week from now. I'm scared of spreading them so I just go to bed and feel them crawling on me shortly after. It's quite trying. Am I being ridiculous or smart? My box spring and frame was tossed a while ago so it's just a mattress on the floor surrounded by double sided tape. Somehow they live within its perimeter. I used to wash the bedding in hot and they still somehow were there. I even taped over the entire floor under my bed. I think they got inside the mattress encasements. There are two encasements but they're cheap. Should I let them feed for 7 more days? I get about 8 bites a night. The worst part is they take so long walking around on me. I'm afraid now to even walk my bedding to our washer thinking I'll bring them to the garage. The other person wouldn't get professional treatment before. Now that he changed his mind, I'm hoping they're contained in my room.

2. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 17 2010 21:53:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I am interested in this as well. Couldn't sleep, at all, so I have double sided tape on the mattress and interceptors on bed legs. I think I am getting bitten on couch and computer chair now.

3. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 17 2010 22:21:10
    #

Login to Send PM

When I thought we weren't getting professional treatment, I tried to take care of it myself and I probably spread them too. I'm just hoping I didn't. The only thing I sit on is an exercise ball. I feel things crawling on me on the couch. I'm not sure if it's real.

4. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 17 2010 23:45:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Time to go to bed again and I'm scared.

5. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 18 2010 4:29:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I do the same thing...

6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 18 2010 6:15:43
    #

Login to Send PM

My box spring and frame was tossed a while ago so it's just a mattress on the floor surrounded by double sided tape. Somehow they live within its perimeter.
    -----------
    Sorry haven't read all your posts but have you actually seen a bed bug and had it identified by someone experienced? Have you seen fecal stains or cast skins.

I ask because if the answer is "no", then an equally plausible explanation to your question is that you don't have bed bugs, or at least they are not crawling on you. The feeling of "insects crawlingon me" is not unusual, especially when someone is in a heightened alert situation. It could be anything, including an allergic reaction to the detergent you wash your sheets with.

I suppose if you really wanted to make sure they are not living "within the perimeter" you could encase your mattress, and then steam both mattress cover and the perimiter. Then lay down the tape.

7. bug-tired

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 18 2010 10:42:42
    #

Login to Send PM

For about a month, I slept on my sofa because I couldn't bear the thought of getting into the bed with them. I read on here that I should stay in my regular sleeping place but I just could not bring myself to do it. Then I was bit on the sofa!! The PCO did find "one" in the sofa and treated it, then I put a sofa encasement on it. I knew I had to get back in the bed so as not to spread them, much as I dreaded it. But there are ways to minimize the chance of getting bitten. Check out the FAQ's on isolating or protecting the bed. I opted to protect mine and it made a big difference.

We took the bedframe completely apart and cleaned it with Murphy's oilsoap before the PCO came to spray it. I was tempted to get rid of it because it's made of distressed wood -- looks cool but there are lots of cracks and crevices for them to hide in. My PCO jokingly suggested I get a plastic bedframe, since they can't climb up plastic (he said).

Having the mattress directly on the floor would concern me. Any way you can invest in a bedframe so you can get your mattress up off the floor? You can get also get climb-up interceptors to put on the legs of the bedframe and that will catch them coming or going. And you can tell by where they are trapped whether they were indeed coming or going. I've only caught one so far in mine but that's one less to bite me and reproduce.

Also - when I asked my PCO about boxspring & mattress covers, I was surprised and pleased that they provided them to me at no additional charge (although I did have to ask, they never mentioned that as something I should do). I neglected to look at the packaging to see the brand but they appear to be of very good quality.

If you encase your mattress and get all white sheets, the fecal spots stand stand out very prominently. I put my sheets in a plastic bag or ziplock before taking them to the washer and/or dryer so no hitchhikers drop off. It's not the washer so much as the dryer that kills them. Clean items can be dried for 30 minutes without being washed.

I also was getting bitten in my computer chair and confirmed live bugs in here....the PCO checked thoroughly and found no evidence of them harboring in here - he said I probably carried them in with me. So now I am careful to take my PJ's off in the morning and leave them on the bed. My regular computer chair is off to the side and I'm sitting on a kitchen chair with white pillow cases underneath the legs so I can keep a look out. So far, no more bites in here.

Sorry this is long but hope it is somewhat helpful.
    Let us know how you make out~[quote]

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,410 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams