Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

I'm in a panic.. Broke.. And certainly have bedbugs!!! Help!!

(20 posts)
  1. Divachickt

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 3:31:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seven children living in my home that a barely own right now.
    We have bedbugs confirmed! We thought we had them and got inspected and told that we did have bugs but he did not find evidence of an infestation.
    (We had a few in a clear container to show him to verify i was correct)
    It's been about two months and we just found more and my $40 cover i had on my Boxspring had evidence 😞
    I'm so distraught.. I'm barely keeping the power on.. Applying for loan modification on my home.. Trying to live off minimum wage and downing.
    I can not afford a professional to come in and freeze them out.
    So much on the internet tells me I'm doomed.. They will never go away.
    What if my cps case worker finds out??? I was wronged and they used false accusations to get my son and i just got him back.. I don't want them to take my child.
    I heard my home can be condemned from this???
    I try to be strong for my children and my sister staying here.. But i want to cry every day.. I don't want to go anywhere..
    I'm already depressed and emotionally stressed.. I don't know if i can handle this...

2. Divachickt

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 3:52:55
    #

Login to Send PM

My family has bedbugs
    I posted about my family of 7 kids and myself and we are barely financially surviving.
    What do i do??
    All I'm reading says there is no hope
    We are going to be eaten alive and i can't do a thing about it...
    Please help me...

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 3:58:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Your first post does not open when clicked.

It might be worth reposting that information here along with some images to confirm the issue.

There are lots of things that people can do that cost little to no money when it comes to bed bugs but it certainly a tougher project to tackle on a zero budget. You may want to think about and list all the resources that you do have access to and what kind of time you can spare to commit to working on things.

Its a bit like Apollo 13 in that respect, we can work things out once we have confirmed what is going on and know what resources are available.

Hope that gets you started on the right foot.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Divachickt

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 4:11:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you David

I can't open my original post either to copy and paste

We had bugs about 2 months ago, and had a free inspection and he told me the bugs i had caught to show him were for certain bedbugs. When he inspected, he did not find any signs of them however.
    I had already cleaned so much and spent $300 on special mattress covers for all the beds.
    Well.. Now we have them for sure 😞
    I can't sleep.. I make only minimum wage.. I'm barely keeping the power on.. Applying for loan modification on my home..
    I don't know what i have access to for resources, the pest control said to freeze treat would cost about $2000!!!
    I am scared.. I have been told homes can be condemned.. I lost my son due to false accusations to cps and just got him back.. I don't want them to take any of my children 😞

I have 3 vacuums.. One is a bag one.. I do have a washer and dryer.. I'm just at a complete loss....

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 4:31:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It may get unlocked later.

Good news that you did not waste your money on freeze treatment, lets celebrate that positive.

However, as the bed bugs have not been seen by me it would help to rectify that. I will accept images of bugs, cast skins or faecal traces. This also helps me to work out the extent of the issue and thus what steps are needed to resolve it.

If it helps think of me as a paramedic, I want to asses the facts, the facts and only the facts.

Beyond that you are at step 1, yes it's daunting but its not impossible, people have done this before and they will do it again.

My step 2 suggestion is to stop panicking and put the big girl pants on for this one. While its natural for some people to stress at bed bugs and their circumstances that path is not as effective as other methods and moving on from it rapidly will help.

I would recommend you read the protocol I have put online called TbyPMR, it will give you a skeleton structure to work towards and also an understanding that its not just about treating the symptoms (i.e. the bugs in your home) but also the resolution of the cause (the introduction of bugs). This avoidance is all free so it fits with your budget.

Good on the cleaners, use the bag-less one to clean up any bugs that you see and empty the canister after its use to a bin outside of the property.

Finally if you do the right thing, take action and remain positive I am sure they cant use this as grounds to change your family arrangements, if anything its a good example of why your an awesome person.

It may even help to have a few minutes break and if needed sit, watch the sky in the distance and have a cathartic blub, it helps and anything that gets you back into your normal control space is worth a punt.

Take care.

David

6. Divachickt

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 4:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate your words David and i am willing to read anything that might help or even just educate me.

Unfortunately we did not do the freeze treatment because $2000 is WAY beyond my budget.

I do stay strong for my kids and sister living here.. In front of them I'm all about "dont worry" and "they are just bugs, like mosquitos, they dont make you sick or carry diseases" but late at night, is when i worry.

Your words are encouraging. I hope to find support here as i am afraid to talk to anyone i know or in my community.

You have some good, level-headed points to keep in mind. Thank you.

I will try to get you pictures.. I cleaned up all the evidence this evening. I will try to get pictures for you though.

7. Midgie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 4:55:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Divachickt,

I just want to let you know you are not alone. I, too, just learned that I definitely have bed bugs. I have 5 children and am disabled.

Here is what I am trying to do:

I don't have a working dryer, but I live in a very hot state. I am washing all my clothes and drying them as best I can. Then I am placing them in black trash bags and putting them in the trunk of a friend's car. I leave them there for at least 2 hours. Until I can get treatment for my home, I am leaving all the "treated" clothes in the bags in my closet. Since you have a dryer, maybe you could just start drying all your clean clothes on high heat and then bag them until you find a solution.

I am not sure you want to do this, I sleep with the lights on and try to kill any and all bugs I find. It just helps doing something. I cannot sleep anyway, so I am just trying to do anything to get rid of them.

Try calling the locally owed companies rather than the big names. The locally owned companies have more control over prices and discounts. I called two places today. One offered $250 off and were trying to find more ways to cut down on the costs. Try to find a company that will be understanding of your situation. Also, some companies may offer financing.

I am so sorry to know you are going through the same as I am. I, too, am single with children. My oldest three children went to stay with their father today until I can get treatment. I am on disability, so it will take me a few weeks to even get close to having the funds. I cannot bear to think of going so long without my children. I am reaching out to family and friends. Have you tried to contact local charities or a local church? There has to be someone out there that can help. Maybe if just getting $50 to $100 from different resources.

I am going to a bank tomorrow to see about a loan, but they already said I will most likely be denied due to my low income. I am still going! You never know when someone will have compassion and help! It is such a desperate situation we find ourselves in.

If you just need to talk to someone who is in almost the exact same sitiation, you can talk to me. It is devastating, but this has to get better somehow!!

I hope all the best for you and your children!

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 5:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

HI Midgie,

Please don't waste your time with black bags in the car unless you plan on parking it closer tot he sun than is feasible on planet earth. Its bad advice and a shame it still gets passed about.

Also have a bed bug hunt before bed rather than draining your energy by impacting the quality of sleep.

I know you are well meaning but giving bad advise does not help people.

David

9. Divachickt

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 5:09:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much Midgie..

I am trying to dry and bag our things.. There is so much stuff in this house 😞

Maybe it's time to purge things.. I was wanting to sort and thin anyways.. God way of motivating that i think..

I'm so sorry to hear of the situation you are in.. I hope disability isn't too much of a hindrance on your efforts.

The most bothersome facts are that that these blood suckers could be in the walls, electronics, things like that.. Not only restricted to linens etc

I don't want to see the bugs.. But i can't help but look out for them.. I need sleep!!!
    Driving is so unsafe after no sleep..

Thank you again.. I appreciate your message

10. Midgie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 5:30:59
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 16 minutes ago  » 
    HI Midgie,
    Please don't waste your time with black bags in the car unless you plan on parking it closer tot he sun than is feasible on planet earth. Its bad advice and a shame it still gets passed about.
    Also have a bed bug hunt before bed rather than draining your energy by impacting the quality of sleep.
    I know you are well meaning but giving bad advise does not help people.
    David

David,

Could you please educate us as to why putting the clothes in the car is a bad idea. The company I called today told me to do that since I have no dryer. The outside temperature is between 98 and 105° F during the day. The inside of the car easily gets to 120 here.

Is that not hot enough to kill the bugs?

In the last post, Divachickt also mentioned bagging all the clothing. I do not want to give bad advice. I am sure you know more than the company I called as they are not bedbug experts.

Also, I noticed you said something to Divachickt about the freezing method. There are three options available in my town. One company freezes them, one uses chemicals and sprays, and the last uses heat to heat my whole house to above 120, but below 150°F. Can you help those of us that are in rough economic situations know which treatment is worth spending what little money we have.

I am asking these questions here because they will benefit not only myself, but Divachickt.

Please know that I am not arguing against your words, I just keep getting different information and I need to know what is best to do with my limited resources. I trust the advice here more than anywhere else. Please help us know what is best.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 5:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Here is the paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17195683

The myth is busted all over the place and is due to the fact that the sun is a conductive not convective heating source.

There is some complex math to the thermal equations and items in bags are a lot more complex than they first appear to be. I am pretty sure this is also covered in the FAQs and numerous other posts.

The freeze method has also been well covered on the forum and is one of the methods specifically not endorsed by the Australian and EU codes of best practice. Lobbying activities mean the US does not take such a strong stance against it.

David

12. Midgie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 5:53:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I just joined yesterday. A member here confirmed the bedbugs and I have spent last night and tonight familarizing myself with the forum. I have read part of the FAQs, but there are many links. I have been reading as much as I can as quickly as I can.

Thank you for explaining about the bags and about the freezing method.

I am so very sorry that I adviced Divacheckt (and anyone else who read this) to bag the clothes. Thank you for correcting me amd saving us time and energy!

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 7:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No worries.

There is a lot to take on board which is why focusing on taking it on board is the best way to help yourself and then in turn to help others.

The issue is the car advice not the bagging. Some cases it can help with but it is not always an essential step. To put it in perspective we advise bagging in only about 1 in 10 cases and rarely when the case has not been mistreated in some way.

Hope that explains.

David

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 27 2017 13:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Divachickt,

There was no missing post in this thread. I believe that your first post that you and David were referring to was in another thread-- the first one you created. It was not displaying -- is it possible you used a symbol in the title? That's the only thing I can think of right now.

Anyway, I moved that post to this thread so it displays first above. (This is only possible where a first post in a thread has no replies.). That means the original thread no longer exists.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  15. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 7:55:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi ladies, do your best to get a professional treatment, but the freezing treatment is not worth the money. See if there are welfare agencies that could help with treatment $$ or something.

It won't do it completely by itself probably, but one treatment that is inexpensive and works is Cimexa powder. You can get it on Amazon for about $13, I think.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 12:33:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Divachickt,
    I sent you a private message.

17. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 15:05:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I would highly recommend getting rid of any clutter in the residence. It really is a good time to purge the place of stuff you don't really need or use. The more stuff, the more hiding places for bugs. Double sided tape helps to catch bugs and is not expensive. Since BBs like to climb up, put some double-sided carpet tape on the legs of all the beds and other furniture, too. Keep your clean clothes in large plastic lawn and leaf bags so you can at least leave the house knowing your clothes are bug free. I'm not sure David, who lives in the UK, realized how hot it can get in some places in the US. I use a protective visor on my windshield and I still can't sit on my leather car seat wearing shorts as my skin would get burned. When it's 100 outside, it gets super hot inside the car and the trunk. I don't know if things being placed in there will kill all and any bugs--but I doubt it will do them much good. If I didn't have a dryer, I would put my clothes in the car in a bag, too. Why, if you hang your wet clothes on a line out here in summer, they dry faster then in a dryer!

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 15:19:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bags and cars only works when you can park the vehicle much closer to the sun than you can get to on planet earth. Simply put "you can't defy the laws of physics".

David

19. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jul 28 2017 17:38:04
    #

Login to Send PM

The reason putting bags in the car doesn't work is because the core temperature doesn't reach 113 degrees. Test it out. Put a thermometer in the middle of a bag of clothes and put it in the car all day in the hottest day. I tried it on a day that reached 35C (95F). At the end of the day the core was 75C. You're better off putting it in the dryer.then bagging them up.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  20. StrongerThanThem

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 22 2017 9:20:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

I'll start by saying I recently found myself in the same boat. I barely make a dime at my part time job and it's a much smaller family size but we have bugs. We found out that we were able to get financing through Terminix. Might be worth a try if you're willing to do that. We're on our way to have a third treatment done on Labor Day and we worked it out where we only have to do $100 a month. I understand you have a rough financial situation, but hopefully that helps.

In the meantime, vacuum, clean up and toss out clutter, and put your dryer to work for you. I'm no expert so I can't say any more than that. I wish you luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,228 posts in 50,143 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago