IM FALLING APART .... WILL THIS WORK ?

(7 posts)
  1. MRSCRYSTAL23

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 22:47:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok I started being bit about a month ago at the end of june . At first I thought very hungry mosquitos . It wasent long befor I realized that wasn't the problem . Because the biting all started around the time i purchased a new puppy for my sons birthday I attributed the problen to fleas . So I went out a bought flea and tick meds for the dog and I also got flea and tick spray and powder for the house . I went through the entire house first I steamed every carpet in the house with my oreck . The dog is confined to one area of the house but I still did the whole house . I then went through the whole house and put down powder , instead of waiting the 2 hours the container said i left it down for 4 - 5 hours I came home and vacumned everything . Everyroom I did it twice . After all of this the biting continued . Last night when my husband was up watching tv , he saw a bed bug on the sofa . So this morning we inspect the house and find 1 in my bedroom and the foot of the bed but we found about 6 on the sofa . So now im on my way to home depot . The man at home depot recomends hot shot bed bug and flea killer . One that comes in a gallon container one thats a spray can and a box that contains 3 foggers . So I grab 3 of the boxes , 6 cans , and three gallons of this stuff . I start everything all over again . I washed all the dirty clothes and sealed them in bags after drying on the high temp for at least an hour . Im in the process of drying all of the clean clothes removed from drawers and closet and sealing them in trashbags . I steamed the sofa and the carpet in the living room . I then sprayed all the baseboards ,cracks , crevaces , window seals around the entire room . The hot shot said it could be used on fabrics so as directed i sprayed it into the cracks and hard to reach spots on the sofa . I flipped the sofa and steamed under the sofa befor I sprayed the hot shot in every creavice i could find on the bottom . Im using it on the seams aroung the bed and in all the cracks of the bedframe and headboard .I have saturated just about every surface with this stuff . I read here somewhere that the foggers just make things worst but is that true even for the ones especially for bedbugs . I purchased them but have not used them yet . I was going to set those off in the morning on my way to work after i was done steaming and spraying and vacumning everything . Im placing all the matresses in matress bag bed protecror things . I plan on steam cleaning every carpet and soft surface in the house for as long as it takes. So my question basically is am I going about this the right way or am I just wasting my time . Anything I should be doing or am I doing something wrong . Am I missing a critical step . Any advice will be greatly appreciated . I cannot get a professional at the moment . School starts in 2 weeks so I just had to buy school supplies , school clothes and pay fees . Please help me .

2. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 12 2011 23:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

"I read here somewhere that the foggers just make things worst but is that true even for the ones especially for bedbugs . I purchased them but have not used them yet "

From everything I read here and on the internet no foggers (even those that say for bed bugs) are a good idea. They don't kill bed bugs but only chase them to spots that might then make it much harder to find and kill them. It sounds like you have done a lot and are doing the right things! Steaming the sofa and using contact killer to spray places you can not get to (cracks, crevices, etc) is a great start. would also recommend DE (diatomaceous earth food grade) or a dust like Tempo if you live in a state where you can buy it without a license. Vacuuming, steaming, contact killer sprays and a dust of some kind in strategic areas seems to be on every "to do list" for self treatment.

Please try not to fall apart. Bed bugs aren't the easiest pest to get rid of (I'm battling them now and have had moments of "falling apart" too) but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Others have gotten rid of them and you (and I) will too. Good luck.

3. MRSCRYSTAL23

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2011 9:15:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info . i bought the foggers but after reading here I didnt use them . Im just trying to make sure im using the right products cause if I get the right products im getting rid of these bugs . I am determined and I can dedicate as much times as needed to treating spraying and retreating and spraying again . i figure I must have at least a fighting chance cause the exterminator I spoke too said they would treat every two weeks until the problem was gone . Well I can do one better I can treat every day if I have too . Im much calmer now that I was yesterday . I guess i was fearing the unknown and now that I have information I feel a little bit better. Thank God for this website cause yesterday I was coming unglued . I was ready to fly off my handle and start throwing away furniture . So please if there are any products that I should be using that I am not please tell me what they are and where to get them . I will leave no stone unturned . Im ready to throw the kitchen sink at this problem . Thanks again for this helpful site and all the information it contains .

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Aug 13 2011 13:50:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Mrscystal23,

Generally speaking, we don't recommend doing your own bed bug treatment.

It's not about the time a person is willing to put into actually moving stuff around and putting chemicals down--nor is successful treatment really about what chemicals you use.

Successful treatment of bed bugs really relies on understanding the behavior of the bugs, how the chemical pesticides work, what non-chemical means can help in the fight, the ability to survey accurately and fully the extent of an infestation in a particular residence, and then apply all that knowledge to the particulars of a given infestation.

Now, I'm not saying that a layperson with no experience in pest control cannot effectively do all of that.

I am saying that for most of us who don't have a lot of experience with pest control, pest behavior, chemistry, and engineering, it takes a lot of learning to get up to speed on all that.

I try not to pry into peoples' financial details because I don't want to post about mine in depth on a public board, and you've said you cannot afford to hire a professional.

If that's the case, at this point, you need to slow down and do your homework before attempting to self-treat.

In the two posts above, you've made two statements that suggest to me you don't yet have the level of self-taught expertise you're going to need to treat the bugs effectively.

As NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm pointed out, as far as we know, the best info right now suggests that any chemical fogger is a very bad idea. Foggers tend to send the bugs deeper into hiding, and that makes the infestation harder to treat--making it more expensive and of a longer duration.

In your response, you said you would be willing to spray more often than a PCO.

Did you consider that, perhaps, it's unsafe to spray chemical pesticides more frequently?

One of the big challenges with doing self-treatment is that most of us don't understand the chemistry of the products we're using. Many pesticides have a residual effect, and spraying them too frequently is a very good way to expose yourself to higher levels of the chemical than is safe.

In addition, you said that you "have saturated just about every surface with this stuff."

That description sounds like overapplication. If it's a pesticide that repels bed bugs, it may drive them into hiding, creating a more entrenched and harder to treat infestation.

In addition, there's only one chemical (with multiple trade names, I believe) pesticide labeled for use on beds. If you've applied anything else to the mattress or box spring, you're risking over-exposure to pesticides.

Believe me, I get that having bed bugs produces a strong ick response. I remember it vividly, and sometimes just looking at photos still produces it in me.

And I get that for a lot of people, the cost of professional pest control is out of reach.

But are you a renter or an owner?

If you're a renter, have you checked local laws to see if your landlord is responsible for the cost of pest control in the units?

And if you're not and you own your own home, do you really lack any resources to spend the money up front for pest control that is safer for you and your family?

Have you conclusively identified the bugs as bed bugs and not the many look alikes that people sometimes mistake for bed bugs?

If you can get a good photo of one, you can post it here, and the expert IDers (of whom I am not one) can do so for you for free?

You don't have to answer any of these things here. I don't need details of your financial situation, nor to know what city you live in.

If those don't make professional treatment a possibility, then you need to slow down and read up before you start mixing chemical applications in your home, for the safety of you and the rest of your family.

Edited to Add: I forgot to provide a link to the FAQ on self-treatment, which has links to some other good resources, so I'm adding it now. ooops.

5. MRSCRYSTAL23

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 14 2011 9:21:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok the product im using is hot shot bed bug and flea killer and when I said I saturated all the surfaces I was talking about baseboard and cracks in the walls and window seals . I didnt apply to surfaces we will come in contact with regularly . I took the bottom of the sofa off and sprayed the springs and all the wood under it . I removed all the books from the bookshelf and sprayed behind it . I removed all the sofa cushion and have been placing them in the dryer for 1 hour each on the high setting . I vaccumned all the carpets and steamed them with my oreck steamer . I steamed under the sofa cushions and then sprayed the hot shot . I took all the beds apart frame included . i steamed the mattresses and sprayed sprayed the edges and seams of the matresses with hot shot as directed on the container and encased them. I didnt spray the entire mattress although I was tempted . Im so glad I found this site cause I would have surely set off those bombs . And I had enough for a small apartment complex . LOL . I didnt find evidence on all the beds but I treated them all the same way . I only found evidence on one of the beds but I did this to prevent the bugs from getting on the those beds . I sprayed hot shot in all the cracks and crevaces of the bed frame and yes I completely saturated every screwhole and wooden slate . I steamed the floor and baseboards around the beds and then saturated with hot shot . Not the area of the floor we walk on but the area thats under and behind the beds. I removed all the drawers from the dressers and sprayed hot shot in all the cracks . I bagged and sealed the clean clothes and will dry them all on the high heat setting . I ordered the DE stuff but the earliest it will be here is this wednesday and I could not just wait and do nothing. And yes I understand that this would be better handled by a pro but at the time I really can afford it . I had a birthday and a graduation in june and school starts on the 22 nd of this month . After fees , clothes and supplies it wont be anything left over for an exterminator . If in the end I still do have to get a pro the earliest would be mid september and I know that sucks but I live pay check to pay check . I will get a pro if I have to but I didnt want to sit around and do nothing for a month. So far I have only found them in 2 rooms of the house and Im hoping and praying that I caught the problem early. Thats the reason I wanted to start the treatment early because I didnt want them to have any extra time to reproduce and multiply . So as everyone can see im not just sitting back doing nothing . I been looking like the orkin man all weekend with my gas mask on . if all else fails I will have to get the orkin man but for now I gotta be the orkin man . I will say this if I do fail it wont be beacause I was not trying hard enough . Thanks for reading

6. MRSCRYSTAL23

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2011 7:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok everyone , after playing orkin man for last 10 days I have given up . I was sprinkling the DE it just arrived on wednesday . After spreading it in all the obvious places I began coughing . After coughing for about 2 hours I started wheezing and the wheezing led to a full blown asthma attack . I hit the panic button on the ADT and when they called the house my son who is 5 explained to them what was happening and they sent an ambulance . ADT also notified my parents and they met us at the hospital . They were already there when the ambulance pulled into the hospital. So after oxygen and a few breathing treatments I was able to talk and explain what happened . My mom and the doctors laughed at me and my dad was mad as @^%$ . It took my dad all of 15 seconds to make my mom write me a check for 5 thousand dollars . Dad makes the money but my mom controls it . LOL . He was only mad because I didnt call and tell him what was going on right away . I just wanted to try and deal with it myself . Calling my dad is usually the very first thing I do. It kinda makes my husband mad bacause if something breaks or makes a noise I havent heard befor I call my dad. Anytime something goes wrong I call my dad . My dad is kinda like the sears blue repair man / auto mechanic / nanny/ doctor all rolled up into one . Everyones mad cause I always call my dad but I been going through this for a month without good results , now my dad is notified and the problem is very close to being solved . Thats why I always call my dad cause he is my problem solver . So now my question I have my check and Im cashing it this morning BUT who do I call ? I looked online and found terminix and orkin , I live in chicago . Can anyone give me a suggestion . Who the best ? has anyone ever used them befor with good results ? Are there any companies I should avoid ? Cost is not a issue at the moment cause my dad said just call if I need more than the 5 thousand he gave me already . Also can anyone tell me what to expect as far as treatment . What are the good signs and what are the bad signs . If I get a bad PCO how to I know what to be skeptical about ? Any feedback and advice will be greatly appreciated . And thank you all for telling me Not to try this myself but now Im glad that I did cause it led to my dad finding out and hes not going to let these bugs keep on biting me . LOL

7. bbworry

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2011 8:47:29
    #

Login to Send PM

If you search for Chicago PCOs or threads tagged Chicago PCOs you'll find a few recommendations. When I did my search, the ones that have came up multiple times were Smithereen and A-Pest, they're who I'll call if it turns out I do have a problem based on reviews here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956