I'm an idiot and my son is being eaten alive... so sick to my stomach

(27 posts)
  1. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Aug 24 2019 20:30:27
    #

Login to Send PM

My 8 year old wanted a "big kid bed" and so stupidly I purchased a used frame, but not mattress and never really gave it a thought. Purchased bed on Aug 3rd. Last week Tuesday the 13th he woke up with probably 40 bites. We didn't connect it to the bed because he hadn't slept in that bed the night before, but in a different room with my husband. We sprayed Talstar and dusted with DE in addition to putting a mattress enclosure on that bed. My husband and my other son who sleeps downstairs show no indication of bites and the beds show no indication of activity but since we had been on a trip I thought action was best.

My 8 year olds bed is in an upstairs area about 10 feet from my own bed and I had him sleep with me the 14th. The 15th I drew a powder DE line all around his bed just out of panic. I took him to the doctor the 16th and they told me probably poison ivy. Phew... but no.

The 18th I realize I have to let him sleep downstairs again. No bites. No bites since the night of the 12th (which could have just been a delayed reaction, who knows).

The 19th he slept in his own bed and again woke the next morning covered in about 30 new bites.

I immediately bought a mattress cover. I had DE and Talstar on hand. I ordered EcoRaider, Crossfire, and Cimexa.

I had my husband spray upstairs with Talstar. My mom and I washed and dried the bedding, took apart the bed and looked over every inch. We found a bunch of eggs in one location on the headboard and a few in another area of the headboard but nowhere else. We steamed the bed, including all drawers, the wall, the carpet. I found one bug not super fast but walking and killed it. I found about 8-10 more that were just chilling and not moving (on the carpet) after steaming. I picked them all up and flushed them. I put a thick outline of DE around all wall/carpet areas and sprinkled the carpet and used a broom to sweep it in. I outlined my own bed with it. I put it in all the drawers but didn't put them back to make retreating easier.

I told my poor poor child who is already seeing a doctor for anxiety and depression that he can only sleep in his bed until this is over.

The EcoRaider arrived the 20th. I sprayed his bed, desk, chair, my bed, my couch and loveseat, my other sons room. I swept DE on my hard floors downstairs.

Every night I spray around my bed with lavender and carpet tape around the legs. I make my son change clothes first thing before he comes downstairs and won't let him play upstairs.

Tomorrow I will vacuum all the DE upstairs (except around the boarder to hopefully prevent them moving), reach bedding, resteam , apply Crossfire to the crawl space behind his wall, all the beds, couches, furniture, and treat with Cimexa.

My 8 year old is being a trooper. I am slowly losing my mind. He hasn't gotten bitten anymore. I hope he doesn't, but from what I've seen it would be foolish to think he won't or that nobody else will. I am so sick to my stomach. I can't afford to hire a pro. I just graduated college and have no job. I have to try before I ask for financial help from family. But I feel so stupid and so bad for my son.

School starts soon and I am horrified at the thought of him going to school with so many bites. Please wish me luck.

2. lalmaroad

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Aug 24 2019 21:12:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Let your son sleep in your bed and you be the bait in his room. Better you than him being bitten. The faqs section has a lot of info that would help.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
  3. Helppleasee

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Aug 24 2019 21:54:31
    #

Login to Send PM

My heart goes out to you mama! Be careful with too much DE- it causes more harm than good I believe if not applied correctly. Get benedryl cream for your sons bites before school, it will shrink them in size. You’re doing so well! I’m so sorry you went through this!

4. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Aug 24 2019 22:39:41
    #

Login to Send PM

lalmaroad - 1 hour ago  » 
    Let your son sleep in your bed and you be the bait in his room. Better you than him being bitten. The faqs section has a lot of info that would help.

I might sacrifice my husband. I am terrified to death of bugs. I told my son it sucks that he has to sleep in his bed and his response was "I'm okay! I'm just glad I don't have that baby bed anymore (race car bed)." The bites look horrid, but he sleeps fine and they don't itch him after I apply benadryl gel, although I have started giving him pills, too. On the other hand I can't sleep and I quit my anxiety meds 2 years ago and I'm already planning to buy a new bed for my son (and mattress) just as soon as I know I won't infest the rest of my home by getting rid of it. I'm a terrible mom because there is no way I can bring myself to climb into that bed. Also, I freak out that what if they really like him and will find him on my bed. Like right now they at least seem okay to stay where they are? I don't know. I know I'm horrible.

5. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Aug 24 2019 22:47:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Helppleasee - 45 minutes ago  » 
    My heart goes out to you mama! Be careful with too much DE- it causes more harm than good I believe if not applied correctly. Get benedryl cream for your sons bites before school, it will shrink them in size. You’re doing so well! I’m so sorry you went through this!

I immediately started using benadryl gel. My daughter has horrible mosquito bite reactions and we always have that. I've started giving him benadryl pills, too. Thankfully he isn't anxious about this situation and the only thing I've told him is that I'm working on it. I didn't tell him what I found. But he knows he is being bit and says "I'm okay! I'm just glad I don't have that baby bed (race car bed) anymore!" Let me tell you I would give my left hand to have that race car bed back. I know I killed so many. I assume that if he gets more bits it should be a lot less. Is it strange though that he has seeming only been bit two nights (7 days apart)? Like do all the bugs eat the same night? I would have expected some bites at least every couple nights? Also, he had slept in the bed other night since we got it. But we had it 9 nights before he got bites. That just seems strange to me, but maybe it's normal.

6. Evertking

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 1:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I know how you feel. I hate the thought of these being on my children. Good luck to you. We are even considering just moving. I know that is crazy but its def an option right now.

7. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 12:41:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Today we re-washed the sheets and blanket. No sign of of them on the sheet. The blanket is too dark.
    Vacuumed up DE.
    Found eggs, but not sure if they are new or were there. Found one bug in DE and popped it. I'm not sure if it was alive or not. We sprayed extra good with EcoRaider. Not sure how I feel about that stuff. Steamed the bed really well. Found one bug and one baby chilling on the bed frame. Killed those.
    Taking the bed frame apart all the way next. Steaming and spraying and killing any bugs or eggs we see.
    After that we will spray again with the EcoRaider before my husband gets up and sprays everything with Crossfire. When that is dry we will lightly dust with Cimexa and remake the bed.
    I sure hate myself for purchasing this frame.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 12:49:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thissucksformyson - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Today we re-washed the sheets and blanket. No sign of of them on the sheet. The blanket is too dark.
    Vacuumed up DE.
    Found eggs, but not sure if they are new or were there. Found one bug in DE and popped it. I'm not sure if it was alive or not. We sprayed extra good with EcoRaider. Not sure how I feel about that stuff. Steamed the bed really well. Found one bug and one baby chilling on the bed frame. Killed those.
    Taking the bed frame apart all the way next. Steaming and spraying and killing any bugs or eggs we see.
    After that we will spray again with the EcoRaider before my husband gets up and sprays everything with Crossfire. When that is dry we will lightly dust with Cimexa and remake the bed.

Be careful with DE. It will ruin vacuum cleaners due to abrasiveness. Don't bother spraying EcoRaider if you are going to apply Crossfire over it. Don't dust Cimexa everywhere. It's not good to inhale dusts, but DE is worse to inhale than Cimexa. If you apply Cimexa, you should do more void, crack & crevice, not just powder over surfaces.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 16:17:18
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 3 hours ago  » 

Vacuumed up DE.

Be careful with DE. It will ruin vacuum cleaners due to abrasiveness. Don't bother spraying EcoRaider if you are going to apply Crossfire over it. Don't dust Cimexa everywhere. It's not good to inhale dusts, but DE is worse to inhale than Cimexa. If you apply Cimexa, you should do more void, crack & crevice, not just powder over surfaces.

Thank you. I used the shop vac with a new filter to vacuum and a dust mask on my face. I only plan to use a light dusting of Cimexa on the cracks and crevices on the bed frame because that so far is where I have seen all the bugs, as well as alone the bottom of my bed frame (metal), and the cracks around my stairs. I know I over did it as a barrier around the room with the DE, but I hoped that that would prevent them trying to go between the wall the carpet. The rest of the floor got a light dust.

I'm not planning to vacuum more at this point. When I do I'll use the shop-vac.

Do you know if Crossfire is good and when I should re-treat the house with it? I obviously don't want to just do it today and call it good because I've been doing research.

10. Evertking

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 17:58:47
    #

Login to Send PM

You and I are in the same boat. I let my son get bit by these nasty bugs and I personally want to kill every last one of them for that. I hate the thought of them on my son. So much so I have moved in with my father till this is over. I also ordered crossfire and if this does not work we will move and start over. This bug is awful.
    Good luck and let me know how it goes.

11. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 18:30:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Evertking - 26 minutes ago  » 
    You and I are in the same boat. I let my son get bit by these nasty bugs and I personally want to kill every last one of them for that. I hate the thought of them on my son. So much so I have moved in with my father till this is over. I also ordered crossfire and if this does not work we will move and start over. This bug is awful.

Thanks. Unfortunately based on my research unless someone is sleeping there to bring them through the dusts and sprays they will just stay alive and not die. I took out the screws from my son's bed and the bolts. I found some inside the screw holes. Only a couple. I blasted them with steam and drown them in EcoRaider. My husband works nights so I didn't want to just do nothing until he got up and sprayed. Getting ready to put the bed back together. When this is done I'm taking the bed back to those jerks who sold it to me. I'm so mad!

12. Evertking

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 19:07:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thissucksformyson - 24 minutes ago  » 

Evertking - 26 minutes ago  » 

Thanks. Unfortunately based on my research unless someone is sleeping there to bring them through the dusts and sprays they will just stay alive and not die. I took out the screws from my son's bed and the bolts. I found some inside the screw holes. Only a couple. I blasted them with steam and drown them in EcoRaider. My husband works nights so I didn't want to just do nothing until he got up and sprayed. Getting ready to put the bed back together. When this is done I'm taking the bed back to those jerks who sold it to me. I'm so mad!

OK, well I guess I will have to offer my body up for bug food. I have read many positive reviews about crossfire and I feel good about it but I felt the same way with DE and heat but it didn't work. I'm at my wits end with all of this.
    Maybe I could spray the crossfire and set up a homemade Co2 trap and set in the middle of each room surrounded with crossfire.
    Its funny cause I had gone a long time laying in that bed with the damn bugs INCHES from my head and slept like a baby but now I can not stay in there at all.
    Please keep me updated with your luck using crossfire and honestly, good luck.

13. Evertking

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 19:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

How has the talstar preformed?

14. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 20:29:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Evertking - 1 hour ago  » 
    How has the talstar preformed?

See I don't know. I've read that bed bugs can be resistant to it. We keep it on hand for spraying the yard for mosquitoes and the house for spiders because my daughter is allergic to mosquitoes and I am terrified of spiders to the point of shaking and hyperventilating. It works great for those. But since I knew exactly where the bugs were and didn't want them to spread I decided to just spend the money on better reviewed bed bugs stuff, hence replacing the Talstar and DE with EcoRaider, Crossfire, and Cimexa. I'll have to order a couple more bottles of Crossfire and maybe another bottle of EcoRaider in order to spray every 2 weeks. I'm not really sure how long I should spray every two weeks for if I see no activity. Obviously if I see more activity I'm going to ask my step dad to call a professional for me. He knows I'm fairly intelligent and I try to tackle a lot of stuff myself because I watched him doing the same. He also knows that if I ask for help it's because I truly need it and I don't for a second believe he would tell me no.
    But yeah, if I see no activity and no bites I definitely plan to keep treating, I'm just not sure how often I should do so for. I wouldn't probably spend the money on Talstar. I would see if any pros in here have used it with decent results first.

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 21:07:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Thissucksformyson - 4 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 3 hours ago  » 

Thank you. I used the shop vac with a new filter to vacuum and a dust mask on my face. I only plan to use a light dusting of Cimexa on the cracks and crevices on the bed frame because that so far is where I have seen all the bugs, as well as alone the bottom of my bed frame (metal), and the cracks around my stairs. I know I over did it as a barrier around the room with the DE, but I hoped that that would prevent them trying to go between the wall the carpet. The rest of the floor got a light dust.
    Do you know if Crossfire is good and when I should re-treat the house with it? I obviously don't want to just do it today and call it good because I've been doing research.

You shouldn't place a light dusting of DE on the floor. I would just push it into cracks and crevices and not vacuum it up. The shop-vac will also break down by vacuuming up DE. Crossfire has been getting good reviews. I believe you applied EcoRaider. See when you could re-apply and you can use Crossfire instead.

16. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Aug 25 2019 21:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 25 minutes ago  » 

Thissucksformyson - 4 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 3 hours ago  » 

You shouldn't place a light dusting of DE on the floor. I would just push it into cracks and crevices and not vacuum it up. The shop-vac will also break down by vacuuming up DE. Crossfire has been getting good reviews. I believe you applied EcoRaider. See when you could re-apply and you can use Crossfire instead.

Thank you. I'm not going to use more DE. I applied it on Tuesday thinking that if bugs tried to escape and spread that they would have to get some on them. I only used the Cimexa on the cracks and crevices of the bed frame. Tomorrow I'll have my husband do behind the switch covers with it. I did it lightly enough with a small make-up brush that none seemed airborne. I guess now begins the waiting game.

17. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Aug 27 2019 10:31:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Update... last night I was very nervous to sleep because the last two Mondays my son went to bed and woke Tuesday with between 30-50 bites each of those mornings. Since last Tuesday morning there were a couple mornings that I could not quite tell if he had new bites, I am happy to report that since Sunday when we completely took apart the bed and steamed and sprayed every last mm of it, including the screw holes, followed by a dusting of the cracks and crevices of the bed that both yesterday and today he woke up without any bites, absolutely for sure. I know his reaction to the bites are big red welts, some the size of a penny or nickel. As far as I know nobody else has any bites, even though not everyone reacts the same we all tend to have some degree of reaction to other bites, such as mosquitoes or spiders. So, I look over everyone to try and check, but it does seem that nobody else has any indication of bites.

Obviously I'm not out of the woods yet. We will continue treatments because I want to clear this problem.

18. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Aug 30 2019 11:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update... Sunday through yesterday morning nothing. Seemingly no bites on my child. This morning he had one red spot on his cheek, but looking at it awhile later it had shrunk in size and wasn't as red. It is in a spot where he had a bite last week, so he could have just irritated that spot. I checked his sheets and pillow case and there aren't any spots on it. His bed was treated with Crossfire and Cimexa on Sunday. I guess I feel like if it was a new bite that the bug would have come in contact with one of those when coming to bite him or when it was done. The plan at this point is to re-treat Wednesday because that is the first day I will have help to do so. Initially I thought just retreating would be fine, but honestly Sunday when we treated we took the side rails off the bed (which we hadn't previously done on the prior treatment) and there were a couple bugs in the screw holes, so clearly they can get back there and talking it apart is best practice at this point.
    Yesterday afternoon we were out and about and my daughter and I walked into a store and when we got back to the car she had an itchy spot on her arm. There were bees around so it is possible it was a sting. Either way I came home and re-treated a chair that is upstairs and around a second bed up there with EcoRaider. I don't want to re-treat bed that was infested at this point because it hasn't even been a week since treatment and the last morning my son awoke with a huge amount of bites was the 20th and we did our initial treatment at that point. I figure we are 10 days since initial treatment and 5 days since 2nd treatment and should allow the things we are using a chance to kill anything.
    I do feel pretty good about my plan. I'm so shocked that I can think about this in a rational manner since I have a huge phobia of spiders and other bugs. I think this might really change me as a person, though I would rather not be faced with it.

19. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Sep 1 2019 13:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Update... man dealing with these bloodsuckers is frustrating. Last night when I went to sleep I found 3 bites on my arm. Thursday night and Friday night I slept in long sleeves. I never sat on the couch (I never do). Yesterday afternoon after showering I put on a freshly cleaned fleece and never noticed anything on my arm. When I went to bed 3 spots on my arm. They weren't itchy or anything. This morning it is a dull and constant itch, but not bad enough that I need to scratch it. I can now feel a raised bump in the center of the red mark. I don't know when or where I got them. It is possible I got them when sleeping at some point, or even when I was treating my son's bed on Sunday and it's a delayed reaction.
    We sprayed our vehicles on Sunday as well, but I suppose it could have come from there on Thursday when we spent about 3 hours in the car. I guess at this point I'll be spending the week taking things apart and looking for more bugs in known and unknown areas and plan to retreat Wednesday while the kids are at school. Obviously Sunday we treated all the beds and furniture with Crossfire so it should still be effective in killing these beasts. If it isn't I do hope the DE or Cimexa is. I'm so mad and my stepdad is going on vacation for the week so I'll continue with what I'm doing and call a pro if problems continue. I do know that the first time my son was bit he had probably 50 bites, the second time probably 30, he has had a stray bite appear here and there on his face a couple of times and I have 3 now, so I do feel like I have knocked out a lot of the problem. I sure hope I can still beat this and that my stepdad's confidence in me isn't wasted it. I wish I had more confidence in myself... or more money to just call someone else to deal with it.

20. moenine9

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Sep 1 2019 13:22:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you thought about ordering David’s passive monitors? My help you monitor and eliminate them as they arise.

21. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Sep 1 2019 13:33:53
    #

Login to Send PM

moenine9 - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Have you thought about ordering David’s passive monitors? My help you monitor and eliminate them as they arise.

I'll look into them. Thanks. I know I need something to monitor going forward so I can hopefully know when this problem is over.

22. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Sep 3 2019 9:43:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I would use the passive monitor after the treatments. Right now you have an ongoing infestation and the packtite pm is more designed for detection. If you use it use it on your bed to make sure the infestation hasn't spread. As long as there are bites there are most likely bugs present.

Repeat 14 days after last treatment to catch newly hatched bed bugs.

23. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Sep 3 2019 18:30:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 8 hours ago  » 
    I would use the passive monitor after the treatments. Right now you have an ongoing infestation and the packtite pm is more designed for detection. If you use it use it on your bed to make sure the infestation hasn't spread. As long as there are bites there are most likely bugs present.
    Repeat 14 days after last treatment to catch newly hatched bed bugs.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. So far nothing more since I noticed these bites Saturday (didn't get them Saturday for sure). Doing re-treatment tomorrow. Obviously I am so ready to be done.
    Also... I have never felt an itch so bad in my life... ever. I think cutting these bites out of my skin would feel better than the itch. Thankfully it is finally starting to subside.

24. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Sep 4 2019 13:19:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: Might as well keep all my posts in one spot. After being bitten at some point I decided to tear my bed apart. I found nothing in the mattress or box springs, or night stands or window sill. I vacuumed really well, which honestly was long over do under there.
    Next we took my son's bed apart and didn't find anything. We did that on the 20th and 25th and both times found eggs and live bugs, and this time due to the Cimexa I had a hard time checking for eggs, but no bugs anywhere that I found.
    We sprayed a new round of Crossfire and once that is dry we will dust with Cimexa again. At this point pending no more bites (and my son has only had one or two questionable mark with the last 10 days, where as the first two times he was bit it was 50ish and 30ish each time) I plan to re treat in two weeks and again two weeks after that. As long as I measure the product and water out I can use one more bottle and use a half gallon each time for two more treatments for all the areas we spray.
    I suppose this is all good news at this point. I won't count myself out of the woods yet, but I feel a lot better at this point.

25. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 22 2019 11:30:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: our second Crossfire treatment was September 4th. My last bite (knock on everything) started itching on the 7th (that's when I noticed it. I'm not sure when I got it) and my son's last bite was the 9th. I did another Crossfire application on the 18th and will do another one next week. Obviously I'm so hopefully that the last bites were the last bites. We live in a single family home and we knew the source of the bugs and I am hopefully that we hit the issue hard enough that they all died. But it's over 2 weeks for me and almost 2 weeks for my son. Nobody else has ever been bit.
    So far... so good. And I'm not sure what I would have done without this site, except panic. So thanks for being here for all of us!

26. aurorajain193@gmail.com

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Sep 26 2019 6:00:35
    #

Login to Send PM

The thought of it biting my children makes me terrified. Take care while using DE as it causes more harm than good.

27. Thissucksformyson

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Sep 26 2019 14:32:08
    #

Login to Send PM

aurorajain193@gmail.com - 8 hours ago  » 
    The thought of it biting my children makes me terrified. Take care while using DE as it causes more harm than good.

Thankfully my son has been a real trooper through this. The worst for me was think about the two nights he awoke with seriously 30 to 50 bites each night and just the thought that he had that many bugs crawling on him while we soundly slept made me want to puke. I never told him they were bedbugs. I just told him mom's working on killing whatever bit you. He was okay with that. I also promised him a new big kid bed and a toy when all was said and done. It has not been about 16 days since his last bite. 19 I think for me. I haven't retreated with DE. I like the Cimexa better and now own a lifetime supply of it, yay for me! Seriously, I hope I never have to go through this again and I'm so thankful that whatever it was that worked just worked.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,308 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo