"Ignore this Member" feature being tested again

(24 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 3:22:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: if you are just happening upon this thread, you might want to Skip to the latest news about this topic below.

There's an optional "ignore this member" function which I have just activated. If you "ignore" a member, you will no longer see their posts. We tried this four years ago and we're going to try it again.

I really don't like the idea of letting people "ignore" other members. There may be good advice coming from someone you are annoyed by. You may have good advice for someone who is annoyed by you. You can see how this could mean you miss out on something.

Someone may even be trolling or genuinely clueless and giving out terrible advice, and I plead with you not to ignore them, because they need to hear many voices objecting.

That said, there are occasionally people who rub each other the wrong way and if someone seriously irritates you to the point where you want to leave the forums to avoid them, then you should probably hit the "ignore this member" link under one of their posts.

Note: once you do this, you will not see any posts from this user. They can still private message you and you should politely ask them to stop (in a PM) and then let me know privately via the Contact Form if the unwanted PMs continue.

Please think carefully before ignoring someone. Seriously. This is not to be used lightly.

You CAN remove this "ignore" anytime by going to your own profile (link in the sidebar), and clicking the edit button, at which point you will see a list of ignored members (with an X in a box next to the name of each). Click the X to remove the "ignore" on that person.

Oh, and you can't ignore me, or anyone else with mod abilities (which = deleting posts and sending them to spam). You will not see an ignore link next to my posts.

Sorry! But I can't moderate properly if people are ignoring me. In turn, I won't be ignoring anyone else.

You cannot see if someone is ignoring you. As an admin, I can see if you are ignoring any users via your profile (if I click "edit") but I have no real interest in this and have no interest in sharing the information with anyone else. Because of this, I can, however, help if you need to un-ignore someone.

Note also that if you were a member of the site back in November 2008, you may have ignored someone and those people will still be ignored. (Except David, who did this as a test -- I removed your "ignores" when I reactivated the plugin just now.)

Respond on this thread if you have questions, think it's a good idea, or a bad one. Last time we did this, it didn't last a week. It just wasn't popular. I'd be happy if everyone agreed we did not need it again.

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 12:41:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I am refreshing this for the daytime crowd.

Please let me know if you use this function and/or think we should discard it again.

3. twitchin

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 17:41:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Personally, I wouldn't use it. If something or someone irritates me, I can either take a closer look and decide if it's bothering me because it struck a nerve and that's my problem, or I can take a look and decide it has nothing to do with me and let it go because it's not my problem. The rare times there would be anyone of us that deserved to be blocked or ignored, I'm sure it would be for something that would have gotten your attention and been dealt with via forum rules. I don't imagine I'd block or ignore someone just because I disagreed with their opinions. I stopped sticking my fingers in my ears and chanting 'I can't heeeeeaarr youuuuu' a long time ago.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 18:02:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It's nice to have the option even if you don't use it.

I know the desire to use such a feature does not come up that often but when it does a few seconds, minutes, hours or days of blissful "ignore-ance" can keep me from logging off completely and getting on this something more real life.

Although I might miss some of AF's posts.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 18:07:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear NoBugs,

Would you please check DC's profile to see if he has already utilized this "new" feature?! I'm pretty sure my posts aren't getting through to him!

Of course, it COULD just be a bug in the system?! We should probably check into that also!!! Because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't just ignore me!

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 22:52:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting tool

I expect that we have some members that will find it useful.

The further I go in life... The more I am convinced that ignorance can be blissful... but I prefer to see all of the comments... even from crazy trolls that advocate for the use of garlic for buggy vampires and then turn snarly when confronted with the voice of reason

Some of the most irritating comments... Can also be the most amusing ones!!!

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2012 0:08:13
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking - 5 hours ago  » 
    Dear NoBugs,
    Would you please check DC's profile to see if he has already utilized this "new" feature?! I'm pretty sure my posts aren't getting through to him!
    Of course, it COULD just be a bug in the system?! We should probably check into that also!!! Because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't just ignore me!

Sorry, AF, even if I looked I wouldn't tell you.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2012 0:10:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks all.

Doug-- I agree and I wouldn't want to miss anything either.

Twitchin-- as I said, I really don't like this. But there are some people who might benefit. We will revisit it in a few weeks and if no one feels strongly about keeping it, I'd be thrilled to deactivate it again.

9. twitchin

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2012 7:21:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs - I didn't mean to imply that the option shouldn't be there. It's just that; an option. Some will use it, some won't...whatever works . I, for one, wouldn't be upset if it wasn't there, nor if it stays. As has already been mentioned , I'd rather see the various posts than miss out on usable information.

If someone hasn't already thanked you this week, Thank You for the time and energy you put into keeping this forum the great resource that it is. You've managed to gather some wonderful people and information, and to maintain a cooperative atmosphere. No small feat, and it's very much appreciated.

10. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2012 8:09:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, if we are voting, I would prefer the option not be available! And I further vote you disengage it at your earliest convenient opportunity. LOL!

11. stopbugginme

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2012 17:34:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme,

I truly hope that i haven't bothered or annoyed anyone here to the point that they'd feel the need of an ignore button to avoid me.. cringing here. I want to thank you for providing such a helpful site, you've won a place in my heart for helping me to stay sane during a very difficult situation.

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2012 21:06:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, stopbuggingme. I can't imagine anyone wanting to ignore you!

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2012 21:06:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Twitchin,

Thanks for your kind words! I needed to hear me this week.

14. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2012 21:11:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all you do...Santa better bring four a great gift and do all your holiday shopping!...

Whatever holiday you participate in

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2012 22:44:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Aww, thanks TAOT! Same to you! Happy Holidays.

16. Blackheart

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2012 1:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I do think the ignore feature might be o.k. for some, but for the most part, I want to hear what everyone thinks, even if it is only 1 person perhaps that I might find annoying ... (no big deal) !

I won't get upset to hear their view point and can move on from there.

Sam

x

17. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2012 9:48:42
    #

Login to Send PM

If a post is made and its is ignored by all has it really posted?

I think its best just to ignore this whole issue least I be ignored and that can be so isolating especially at this time of year not to mention ignoring.

On third thought, just ignore this post.

18. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2012 20:17:07
    #

Login to Send PM

W Buggy..that's how I think! When I think:)

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2012 22:47:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I am happy to report that since i haven't heard from anyone who seema to need or want this, I am going to turn off the IGNORE feature as of 12/25 at noon.

Please UNIGNORE anyone you have "ignored" by going to your profile, hitting "edit" and unchecking any boxes next to names being ignored.

The function will stop working then regardless, but should it ever be activated again at short notice (as it was this time), you would suddenly be ignoring people you hadn't realized you were ignoring, and it would be confusing.

Again, please set to UNIGNORE in anticipation of function being turned off.

I think this is a positive development, though the feature is there to be reactivated should conflicts arise in future.
    Thanks, all!

20. tell_me_another_one

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2012 23:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi I'm new to the forum but not the bed bug issue anyone want to talk I need some opinions.

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Dec 22 2012 23:06:47
    #

Login to Send PM

tell_me_another_one - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Hi I'm new to the forum but not the bed bug issue anyone want to talk I need some opinions.

Tell_me,

Please start a new discussion thread about your questions or issues and I am sure others will be happy to respond. If you don't know how to start a new thread, there are instructions here.

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 15:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to make sure everyone sees This update.

23. JulesNoise

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2013 3:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Ignorance
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts. Ignoramus is commonly used in the US, the UK, and Ireland as a term for someone who is willfully ignorant.

Ignorance is distinguished from stupidity, although both can lead to "unwise" acts.

Writer Thomas Pynchon articulated about the scope and structure of one's ignorance: "Ignorance is not just a blank space on a person's mental map. It has contours and coherence, and for all I know rules of operation as well. So as a corollary to [the advice of] writing about what we know, maybe we should add getting familiar with our ignorance, and the possibilities therein for writing a good story."[2]

The legal principle that ignorantia juris non excusat, literally "ignorance of the law is no excuse", stands for the proposition that the law applies also to those who are unaware of it.

Matters which are obvious are sometimes ignored, not taken into consideration. This phenomenon is not limited to ordinary persons without native ability but extends to the highest level of human governance resulting in nightmarish scenarios that could, with more wisdom, have been avoided.[3]

Consequences of Ignorance

Individuals with superficial knowledge of a topic or subject may be worse off than people who know absolutely nothing. As Charles Darwin observed, "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."[4]

Ignorance can stifle learning, in that a person who falsely believes he or she is knowledgeable will not seek out clarification of his or her beliefs, but rather rely on his or her ignorant position. He or she may also reject valid but contrary information, neither realizing its importance nor understanding it. This concept is elucidated in Justin Kruger's and David Dunning's work, "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments," otherwise known as the Dunning–Kruger effect.

[1] ^ Wordnet. "Ignorance". Retrieved 9 March 2011.
    [2] ^ Thomas Pynchon Slow Learner, Introduction, pp. 15-16
    [3] ^ "A World in Denial of What It Knows" opinion by Geoffrey Wheatcroft in The New York Times December 31, 2011
    [4] ^ Charles Darwin (1871). "The Descent of Man" (w). pp. Introduction, page 4. Retrieved 2008-07-18.

Demonstration of willfull ignorance is using a button to do it.
    "Ignore this member"

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2013 18:55:48
    #

Login to Send PM

JulesNoise,
    Another form of ignorance which you are displaying is not reading the thread above.
    (1) This plugin was experimented with because, to put it bluntly, two people on the forums annoyed each other.
    (2) They both chose not to use the function and as far as I know, no one else wanted to either.
    (3) As clearly noted above, the experiment is over and the function is not enabled.
    Please don't be a troll.

Troll (Internet) from Wikipedia

This article is about internet slang. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).
    In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,692 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82