Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

If you were tasked with getting rid of them on a large scale...(hypothetical)

(4 posts)
  1. saloosh

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 29 2018 22:02:50
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a hypothetical question that I hope you don't regard as ridiculous, because it is not ridiculous. There are a lot of intelligent and experienced people here. Both through professional and life experience. So the question is...If the mayor of a major city tasked you with getting rid of bed bugs in that city, what would you do? I know there are a lot of factors that would go into it, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. Everyone. What would you do?

2. bedbugsbugme

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 30 2018 8:38:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Speaking from personal experience, as I am tasked with getting rid of these things (plus cockroaches) in a community, its not easy. There are people who have no clue how to prep, people who claim to to know how and still don’t do something right and people who downright don’t want to cooperate! Then you get people who are finally cleared and go buy a bunch of second hand furniture (or shop at the dump 😱) and bring them right back. Its been a grueling 4 months on this project and I don’t see an end in sight. While it’s rewarding to help people get rid of their bugs, it becomes infuriating when stuff like reinfestation happens or ......we. just. Can’t. Get. Rid. Of. them!!!!!! (Cockroaches are sooooooooo hard to get rid of!)

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 30 2018 8:52:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Control, yes, eradicate, you're asking the impossible.

4. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue May 1 2018 20:51:45
    #

Login to Send PM

You'd never actually be able to get rid of them for an entire city. If we're pretending every home is infested and the city is pretty much lost... then the most effective thing I can think up would be to evacuate the city for 2 years. The odd ones might find some rats or something and survive...but it would kill most of them. Treating an entire city with poison or dust or heat would likely take more than 2 years anyway. If we're talking about just getting rid of as many as possible in a typical city without having to shut it down... I'd probably invest in Cimexa and a residual poison to use it where the bugs are most likely to spread. (public transit (planes, trains, buses, boats), theaters, churches, schools, malls, thrift stores ext. (basically anywhere you find a lot of people) In a city where it's REALLY bad I might make it mandatory to have rental units inspected by a PCO/treated if needed before renting them out. Neither of these options would get rid of all of them, but they'd make a serious dent in the problem.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie