(7 posts)
  1. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Nov 6 2012 8:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Folks,

If you find that you may need an attorney or legal advise to deal with your bed bug situation please consider the following:

> Not all attorneys are experienced in bed bug or pest matters.

> Bed bug and pest related matters have inherent nuances that all attorneys are not familiar with.

> Interview your prospective attorney to find out what level of prior experience their firm has in dealing with bed bug cases.

> You are likely best served in securing the services of a firm that is expereienced and specializes in bed bug & pest related cases rather than one that is learning via your case.

> Bed bug experienced, competent and proficient law firms are few however, even if such a firm is not located near you, a local firm may partner with an experienced bed bug firm as co-counsel

While I hope you never need legal representation for your bed bug matter, I urge you to choose wisely in the event that you do !

Hope this helps ! paul b.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2012 10:41:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Paul.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 7 2012 15:50:23
    #

Login to Send PM

If you need an attorney good luck.

It's hard enough to find a "professional" who understands bedbugs, to get an attorney who sees anything other than "money bugs" is about as likely as finding hens teeth.

Yes I am speaking based on my experience with US attorneys and although it is feasible that there may be a human on somewhere they have so far eluded me.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2012 9:51:28
    #

Login to Send PM

There are competent attorneys who handle bed bug cases if you know where to look or whom to ask for a referral.

Unfortuneately, there are however, many who underscore the reasons there are so many lawyer jokes as well.

Have a great day ! pb

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 10 2012 9:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Just want to add:

Please check with state and county bars, they usually are able to refer you to lawyers in your area by their practice area. (in this case, it's Real Estate. In places like NYC, real estate attorneys may specialize even further into rentals.)

An ethical attorney (they DO exist!) will refer you to another attorney if he or she feels your case is too far outside of their experience. They may also suggest (as Paul mentions above) partnering up with outside counsel as well. Generally, attorneys recognize that legal proceedings are a mystery to nonlawyers.

Source: 5+ years working with lawyers.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 10 2012 13:20:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear folks,

As A&S points out, an ethical atty will refer you to a more experienced attorney if they case is out of their realm of practice and/or experience.

However, YOU will need to ask questions regarding:

> Their range of experience with similar cases.

> How they view your case, what "type of case" they see it as and what strategy they think will be best for YOU in your case.

> Note that these cases are not common and require an attorney experienced in bed bug related cases.

> Based upon my experience and observation, the majority of these cases include personal injury (the victim sustained injuries caused bu bed bugs), breach of warranty (the LL was to provide a living space free from pests & vermin), negligence (the LL did not handle the bed bug situation) and fraud (the LL leased/rented an apartment that was infested).

Hope this helps ! paul b.

7. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2012 1:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Paul. Those are great things to ask. That's why I tend to reference the bar associations for the local area. Their referral services and pages often go over the right questions to ask; as well as quirks you should think about in your particular jurisdiction.

If your state/city is smaller, you may want to look at the city or county bar of the nearest big city in your state. Most of those are highly informative.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur