If money was no object???

(9 posts)
  1. Scared-buggy

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 23 2018 10:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

So question? Not saying money isn’t an object but if it was no object and you was able to treat any way you wanted to, what is the best way to treat? I need step by step instructions. I am willing to use my savings to take care of this problem I just need to know what to do.

2. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 23 2018 20:33:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Personally, I think It depends a lot on your living situation. What works best for one could be a very bad idea for another. Apartment or house? Old building or new? How large? How long have you had this problem? Have you tried any professional or DIY solutions already? Personally, in a newer single family home, I'd choose professional heat treatment without a doubt. In an apartment building, It would likely cause bugs to move into other units and eventually return. In that case, I wouldn't use heat. I feel heat treatment is the most quick/effective choice IF you have the right living situation for it, and if not, it's an expensive mistake that many treatment companies will gladly go along with. It's unlikely the bugs would return while a "guarantee" is still effective...but a year down the line you're calling them again ...and so are all of your neighbors. $$$ The most expensive treatment is not always the best choice. ...This of course is only MY personal opinion. I'm sure you'll get other different answers. The truth is, every kind of treatment can work, and every kind of treatment can fail. The most important part of all is having a PCO that knows what the hell he's doing. Don't just go with the cheapest one. You want the one with the best long term reviews.

3. Scared-buggy

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 23 2018 21:21:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugsareicky - 39 minutes ago  » 
    Personally, I think It depends a lot on your living situation. What works best for one could be a very bad idea for another. Apartment or house? Old building or new? How large? How long have you had this problem? Have you tried any professional or DIY solutions already? Personally, in a newer single family home, I'd choose professional heat treatment without a doubt. In an apartment building, It would likely cause bugs to move into other units and eventually return. In that case, I wouldn't use heat. I feel heat treatment is the most quick/effective choice IF you have the right living situation for it, and if not, it's an expensive mistake that many treatment companies will gladly go along with. It's unlikely the bugs would return while a "guarantee" is still effective...but a year down the line you're calling them again ...and so are all of your neighbors. $$$ The most expensive treatment is not always the best choice. ...This of course is only MY personal opinion. I'm sure you'll get other different answers. The truth is, every kind of treatment can work, and every kind of treatment can fail. The most important part of all is having a PCO that knows what the hell he's doing. Don't just go with the cheapest one. You want the one with the best long term reviews.

Ok living situation is a single family home, it’s an older home with updated windows and doors. I’ve been here since the end is September. I had Orkin out today between my search and his there is no evidence of bed bugs but I definitely found adult bed bugs on a mattress that was standing on the wall in the dining room (was ours till it was replaced about 3 weeks ago). He said since I’m the type of person who changes our rooms a lot he recommended treatment for all the room to be on the safe side plus they have probably started to wonder for a food source. But he is still only recommending the bedrooms since there is no real signs of them other then the bugs I activated collected for them. I’m at a loss this is mentally tearing me apart. I’m digging my skin and my head all day. I really don’t know how ppl can live with this it’s so bad for me. My biggest issue is my home I bought 2 weeks ago that’s going through a complete remodel. I will be moving there in August and a certainly don’t want to carry these thing there.

4. Thebiggerbug

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 23 2018 21:40:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Similar to my situation. I found 1 female unfed adult 18 days ago, in my single family home,no other evidence, no odea how she got here or when or how many... I am freaking out, this has for sure messed with my psyche. Tomorrow they come to inspect again and hopefully treat (chemical).

5. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 23 2018 21:59:19
    #

Login to Send PM

If money was no object, I wouldn't treat, to be honest. I'd buy a new house somewhere at least 10 miles away, buy new clothes, bedding, furniture, and other household goods. I'd strip of, shower really thoroughly, put on some new clothes, leave everything I own behind and never come back.

"With courage, cunning, and superior tactics, we'll be home by teatime."
  6. HecatesMisery

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 23 2018 21:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

If money was no object, I wouldn't treat, to be honest. I'd buy a new house somewhere at least 10 miles away, buy new clothes, bedding, furniture, and other household goods. I'd strip of, shower really thoroughly, put on some new clothes, leave everything I own behind and never come back.

7. Bugsareicky

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 23 2018 23:22:03
    #

Login to Send PM

In your position, I'd go with the chemical treatment. It's MUCH cheaper than heat. Spend the money treating your items. Dry all clothing and fabric on high heat and bag it. XL ziplocks are awesome for this. You can use a steamer for things like wood furniture, rugs, and mattresses. Make sure you get every crack. A packtite can be used for things like books, papers, shoes, or toys. Nuvan pest strips can be used to treat anything that you can't subject to high heat, like your electronics. Anything with no cracks or hidey holes, like a cup or bowl, can just be carefully looked over for eggs. Treat items, then either bag them air tight, or immediately move them to the new home, or a storage unit. Take it as a chance to sort through and clean all of your junk before moving into your new home, just do it as you pack. Toss anything that you can't be bothered to treat. If you had time to stay and do months of treatments, then this would be a little extreme and not really necessary. Every bug will leave your items to eat, and they'll eventually cross poison...but it could take more time than you have. If you want to guarantee that the new home is safe, and you don't mind spending money to keep your things...this will definitely do it lol. ...in the meantime, you might want to order some climb ups for your bed legs, and pull the bed away from the wall. The bugs won't be able to get to you while you're asleep, which will probably help a lot with the anxiety. ...All of these things will pretty quickly add up in price, but you did say "if money was no object" and all of this combined would be cheaper than heat treatment. Paranoid? yes. Effective? also yes. lol

8. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed May 23 2018 23:45:29
    #

Login to Send PM

HecatesMisery - 1 hour ago  » 

+100

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  9. Scared-buggy

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu May 24 2018 11:15:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So I’m thinking 🤔, I’m going to start decluttering asap. Everything will go to the landfill. I will only keep in the house what is necessary to live. I will chalk up my losses and start anew in my new home. When we leave here it will be only with our most important possessions (as in my dads chair) which will be taken apart and encased in something safe in front yard before being loaded everything that is sentimental will be ziplocked in bags for 2+ years in a building on my property. That I don’t have to worry about reinfestation. I will not allow my kids to stay away no one is allowed to stay in my home we will throughly vacuum and clean after a visit. And get something to kill anything left behind by a visitor. I really want to only allow public get togethers as I’m scared to death since I have no clue where they came from. I am buying a heating oven but only for sentimental things. Everything else will be trashed. I refuse to take the chance of carrying even one of these nasty critters out of here. I think computers and electronics can go. They are replaceable for cheaper then the treatments that could follow a bed bug infestation. I will but stand alone hard drive and sit on my porch to transfer data. And immediately remove my hard drives from the area. I’m not playing with these bed bugs I will be their worst nightmare they won’t become mine. I’m determined.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,801 posts in 49,807 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991