Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

If I lived somewhere else for 18 mos would they be dead?

(4 posts)
  1. busy with my kids

account closed

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 11:21:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I am despairing of clearing my single family home of bed bugs. I have lots of kids and a cat and am thinking of leaving with nothing to my mother's home and coming back in 18 mos. One thing (just one??, ha ha) makes me worried about this plan. I read somewhere that bed bugs can also eat little people crumbs (skin cells, etc.) so they may be alive when we come back. Is that true?

2. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 11:56:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry of your despair. I think having kids and bedbugs heightens the mental anquish of the whole thing and I feel for you.

To answer your question, bedbugs do not live off skin cells, etc. They need to feed off a warm-blooded host, such as a human being. If humans are not around, they can feed off birds and other animals that might be in the house.

If you are away from your house for 18 months, and no anmials or humans are in there during that time, that should ensure the bedbugs that were in the house are gone. Of course, diabolically, new bedbugs could come back in the house as soon as you move back in. Have you been able to guess how you got them in the first place? You have to make sure that won't happen again. You also have to make sure you don't take them to your mother's. Moving with bedbugs and not taking them with you can be a real challenge when you have several kids.

I don't know your story, but I think there are other solutions that might work better than moving out for 18 months and all that would entail. Could you try a heavy-duty treatment like Vikane or heat treatment? With a single family house, I have some hope that with good, thorough professional treatment you could rid your family of bedbugs.

3. mangycur

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2008 13:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

my concern would be that if mice got into your house while you were gone, they could feed the bugs in your absence. A house is easier to treat than an apartment, so take heart. I know you're overwhelmed and despairing, but you might actually be better off than a lot of us.

4. fightorflight

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 22 2008 9:56:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, this is a really interesting and curious question that I'm not sure any of us here really have a clue about. I mean, really, this would be an experiment at your expense. The one big concern, I think, would be, are there birds, mice, etc. around that the bugs could live off of in your absence? And then migrate back to the preferred human hosts when you return? Have no idea what the odds of all this are...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,863 posts in 45,896 topics over 139 months by 20,212 of 21,020 members. Latest: Lima Rosa, afraidofbugs18, Bbt25