Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

If I hear one more story about a PCO calling a customer crazy...

(15 posts)
  1. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 13:09:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I am going to scream!

What IS it with these do-not-deserve-the-word 'professionals' -- they should have their licenses suspended and undergo mandated humanity remediation courses.

Aargh!

2. nyjammin

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 13:20:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the thing. They went to school to get these licenses and we didn't. How dare we think we know more than them. That is like us going to a doctor and telling them what disease we have and not believing the doctor. As wtw says: not seeing is not believing. No bugs mean you do not have them. I try to explain myself like this, if someone committed a murder and no one saw them, how do you know that they did it? There is EVIDENCE like fingerprints and blood and DNA and motive, etc. Same with bbs. There is the pooh and the streaks and the bites. But, pooh and streaks could be anything. "could be from the window, could be from the floor, could be from the bedframe". My pco said "no, that's not bb pooh, that is dirt. This su.ks!

3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 15:25:05
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a National Pest Management Association, but I wonder what they do to regulate professionalism in the industry when many people seem to report their PCOs saying things to them that are inappropriate? I wonder if it would even help to report any such behaviors to that organization? When I went to their first international bedbug conference last year, somone on a panel said that when an apartment building had bedbugs, the landlords would not disclose it to the tenants because "pandemonium would ensue." I never forgot those words. Our natural reaction to bedbugs is something PCOs are well aware of. How were the attendees at the conference trained to deal with it? "Deflect, don't disclose" was one of the things they were teaching the hotel industry. To their credit, they also taught the necessity of education and follow-up, but I'll never forget that attitude on dealing with clients upset about bedbugs.

There are some highly-reputable PCOs in the industry and they are worth their weight in gold. I hope they teach the others.

4. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 15:45:00
    #

Login to Send PM

One thing that everyone must consider doing is escalating. I know this is hard for those of us who are less assertive, but we should all be asking to speak to managers, technical managers, etc. when we get shoddy treatment, whether it's obvious incompetence or lack of thoroughness or inappropriate conduct. You have to call them on it! I also think it might help to have a place to have honest reviews for PCOs. A reputable list with credibility that can influence how much business they stand to lose if they pull stuff like this. Some of the reviews I see on the yahoo group sound so bogus! Maybe I'm just cynical. I know this is not possible here. Perhaps you will one day succeed, Parakeets, in getting Consumer Reports to do a survey.

5. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 16:58:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Aren't these regulations esp. for Bed bugs getting in the way most of the time too? I wonder, why they just don't say--i can't do this or that, because it is against the law here in such and such-ville?
    PCO’s and Entomologist here, don’t seem to have any qualms talking about the law: I mean, at least they mention them.

But back to a medical Doctor: if he knew there was a cure you could not afford or tolerate--he might not mention it out of kindness, or because he's tired of hearing all of the back-lashing. Nomo's right--ask questions at least. I got knocked down several pegs recall--so if your not in a position to complain outright ... you may need some other way to get the points across...
    It is a sin but it still often too taboo to talk openly about bed bugs—anyone who has had the critters knows
    THIS IS SO INSANE!

Sorry nomo. They did it to me too!
    And RARE is it--that the monthly guy even really listens to me
    Triple Argggh!

See you all in a few days?

6. Bugalina

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 7:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

hopelessnomo, Can you please tell me what prompted you to start this thread? I did not see this story. I am esp. sensitive to this as both an exterminator and a NYU dermatologist insulted me to the point of tears. The entomologist from the exterminator told me that the phrase referring to the bite pattern - breakfast lunch dinner - was the "most ridiculous thing he'd ever heard". The Dr. from NYU ( he is no longer there, and they apologized to me ) told me that my bites ( all over my torso ) were a "skin condition". He told me that I "belonged in Bellevue" and that anyone who got information off the internet was "crazy". He threw the bed bug photos and literature I brought in , across the room. He was elderly which is no excuse but I think may account for his lack of trusting the internet. It wasn't until my husband found that monster bug on my back that I was vindicated, even though the bites were all over me. Anyways, I was wondering what prompted your thread. Also, these happenings occurred last year, so hopefully these "clueless and ignorant" professionals have come to see the light.

7. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 9:48:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Bugalina, those are horrible, horrible stories, I am so sorry for you!

It was Losinghope who told us a story about her PCO, something we have unfortunately seen before.

I must stress that there are so many wonderful PCOs. I was really impressed by SleeplessinChicago's PCO.

However, it troubles me that there are so many bad ones, because right now, getting rid of bedbugs efficiently absolutely depends on the services of a good PCO. It's just that there aren't too many of those. And outside big cities, there might be less.

I am encouraged by what Parakeets said about Boston PCOs.

They get better with experience. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 11:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

nomo,

I have been thinking about how to host PCO reviews here. It would have to be a system where members would not be able to post a review for some time after joining bedbugger (otherwise you can imagine the fake reviews we'd get).

any other suggestions would be welcomed.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. Bugalina

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 12:18:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thats a tuffy Nobugs....I have no idea how you check out the legitimacy of people...Maybe you could make a generic list...with X marks...and people could check off the box....We could all give the names of the PCO's we used and then there would be just columns with boxes to check...This way no one could add anything...it would be generic with no emotions involved...Something like a Survery.......Very satisfied....satisfied....Not at all satisfied
    Excellent service....good service....poor service
    How many treatments to reach nirvana !!! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ....still praying !!!!
    Something like this????
    I for one, would love to see something like this, as long as it doesnt' create problems....

10. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 12:18:59
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be very difficult, I think. There's someone on the yahoo group who has a credible story, but every single post is shaped around praise for a certain PCO. Every single one, without exception! Makes me wonder...

Or maybe it's one of those things that will happen anyway, but would be a small percentage of the overall reviews. I'm glad you're thinking about it!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 18:40:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, what if we allow people to write a review right away, but it does not appear on the site until they have posted some number (say 10) other messages over a space of at least 1 month. That gives us time to see if someone is really a participant here or not. I wish I could say we'd post any review that was written, but I have seen too many internet threads that rave about a famous PCO. And yes, it's a famous PCO many here have used and many liked, but the relentlessness of the positivity and lack of criticism is a bit creepy and fake.

12. BBsBlow

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 19:52:49
    #

Login to Send PM

The medical profession still isn't up on BBs. I realize that diagnosing rashes/bites is difficult. Fine. But they're not particularly aware. On Friday I went to a new doctor, and told him about my past. He said that BBs are fleas, and they can only survive about 3 months without a human host. Boy did I ever correct him! Knowledge is power.

13. Bugalina

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 21:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs....I think that's a good start...You could request reviews and hold onto them..and release them if and when you feel they are legit..... From the regional requests for knowledgeable PCO's it seems that it could do more good than harm...as long as there is control...

14. TorontoBugged

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 22 2007 0:35:16
    #

Login to Send PM

The problem with showing your vulnerability to people whom you're hiring is that they know that they have you. These Pest control people are raking the money in. Sorry to be cynical but I don't think it would be in their best interest to get this problem under too much control before they make a tidy profit out of it. Bugs and more bugs = more money for them.

15. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 22 2007 8:53:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugalina, send that idiot doctor some bed bugs that would change his perspective. Doctors in most cases are no help at all and therapists are no help. The only people who can understand us are us.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45