Identity of first poster/originator of thread

(4 posts)
  1. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 17:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs –

Another idea to improve the site – maybe very easy to do if the software permits?

In the list of threads, could the column that shows the Last Poster also show the First Poster above it, i.e. the originator of the thread?

Or, create a separate column for that?

It would be great to be able to see this at a glance for every thread, rather than having to click on the thread and open it to find out, or get reminded if you already looked at the thread before, whose thread it is.

jrbtnyc

2. nycyn

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 17:20:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I just say "to OP" or "re OP." OP = Original Poster.

But I agree if we could see the OP with the thread title as well as the most recent poster. But then I hang around here too much.

3. Out Of Options

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 17:49:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I would love to see an actual forum for this site, to be a little more organized. Free options are invisionfree, zetaboards, phpbb, or some great options that aren't so free are vBulletin, xenForo (new and neat!) and I would be more than willing to help. I have created over 40 forums in the past for myself and friends with invision free and zetaboards.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 1:44:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All,

I did not program the plugin that shows the latest poster, so it's not an easy fix for me to add this. I will look into it. Keep in mind that it does add more information (and clutter) to the box.

As for changing the forum, I am not averse to the idea, and I am always trying to improve it. However, I will note that the forum HAS a more traditionally organized forum structure at its core.

If you scroll down under the most recent posts, the forum categories have their own box, and you can select the forum you want to read about.

One thing people could be extra-vigilant about is choosing a category for their post. Most posts are "uncategorized." This means that if the forum is organized by these topics, there's a huge "Uncategorized" section which is NOT very unhelpful.

I can easily move the forum topics box to the top and leave the "most recent posts" underneath it, which may satisfy a lot of people, but it will only work if everyone tries to remember to choose a category for posts.

One reason I am using this forum software is because it does not suck a lot of bandwidth to run and because it is integrated with Wordpress. One reason not to migrate to another forum software is because it may be hard to move existing posts. Despite the search function here being imperfect, there is one and you can find a lot of valuable stuff in there.

Also, Wordpress/BBPress also improve over time and so features continue to be added. There are some not yet implemented which would make things interesting for users, I think.

Out of Options, your offer is very much appreciated. Thanks! There are features which could be added to the existing forum, and the most helpful thing is for people to say what features are currently missing, rather than to suggest another software be used, without explanation as to why. If we are missing things people want, and they can be supplied by another software, I would consider it.

Some features --like being able to upload photos -- are already possible, but not activated yet because it would increase the need for moderation.

Anyway, please share your requests. I am all ears eyes!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,160 posts in 46,244 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox