Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

identification bedbugs or beetles (pix and vid)

(9 posts)
  1. ParisBugPatrol

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 2:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Lou and bedbuggers,
    we're dealing with an infestation over a period of 6 month. I have been getting bites consistant with bedbug bites that are stopping when not in the my apartment. My wife and child seem unaffected.
    We found this and really really need help for identification.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vv8c05ou938ci8l/AAA-1j2YUaKzZTHKxOZYBJOca?dl=0

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 4:01:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The shape and split wing casings indicate beetle not bedbugs.

You should monitor for confirming signs but also read up on carpet beetles and check for beetle larva which might be the cause of skin reactions.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. ParisBugPatrol

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 5:46:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David, this definitely help! Like a lot, thank you for your time and your expertise.
    I am still wondering if we're not dealing with a double infestation of beetles and rat mites though (we have a rodent problem in the builiding), and it would be more consistant with what was happening in my bed. What do you think about the smaller specimen with the 2 beetles that is the shape of a seed? It does not look like a beetle larvae, could this be a rat/mouse mite?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 6:48:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I advocate for not making assumptions based on symptoms.

The smaller items may be insect parts or they may be plant based (most likely sepals).

While rodents mites can be an issue in 17 years I am yet to see more than a handful of confirmed cases. Given the number of times people proclaim they MUST have rodent mites the two facts are incongruent. As I only trust what I can see and verify and my more than three brain cells tells me the "biting mite" communities are hot beds of Munchausen type behaviours I would suggest you keep an open mind and seek the assistance of an entomologist to confirm mites if they are present.

David

5. ParisBugPatrol

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 7:09:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok thanks for that, I'll take your word for it. It's just that I saw black really small stuff crawling in my bed, that doesn't really look like the beetles, and I know I've been having reaction in my bed so since I read this stuff don't really go in the bed I was wondering.
    I do not exclude the fact that with sleep deprivation and stress I could have have some type of hallucination though.
    Anyway thanks for those reassuring words. We're in the middle of a move and diagnosis on the pest is very important, and my main concern was bedbugs.
    Very nice of you taking the time to do this.
    ParisBugPatrol

6. ParisBugPatrol

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 7:22:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes just to report back I just saw a video of a moving carpet beetle larvae, and that is very likely what I saw that night.
    So you were right and thanks you again.
    PBP

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 7:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, didn't see this post until now. The beetles look like black carpet beetles but they seem to have a dusty appearance.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. ParisBugPatrol

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 7:40:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Lou, the dusty apparence is most likely from bauvaria bassiana. I don't know if this would infect the larvae though.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 8 2019 18:09:49
    #

Login to Send PM

ParisBugPatrol - 10 hours ago  » 
    Hello Lou, the dusty apparence is most likely from bauvaria bassiana. I don't know if this would infect the larvae though.

Thanks for the update.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,826 posts in 49,816 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316